Propane tank under chassis mount

dreadlocks

permanently mounted tanks need to be accessible to be filled, they cant remote fill em because they need to access the fill valve to bleed it.. if you mount it some place they cant get the filler onto it your going to have to take it off.. ASME tanks are designed to be filled while still mounted, DOT tanks have to be vertical.. so even horizontal DOT tanks have to be taken off to be refilled.

Alloy

I found one from a 1-ton Ford RV (for my 1-ton Ford van) for $150.00. It's rusted, but I can paint it to save $400.00. The frames look the same. Hopefully mounting it will be very easy. Near as I can calculate it's a 13 gallon tank too.

The ASME tanks are much thicker than the portable tanks. Even if they are rusty, chances are that they will be OK.

I won't touch a tank that has been so poorly maintained that it is rusted.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
permanently mounted tanks need to be accessible to be filled, they cant remote fill em because they need to access the fill valve to bleed it.. if you mount it some place they cant get the filler onto it your going to have to take it off.. ASME tanks are designed to be filled while still mounted, DOT tanks have to be vertical.. so even horizontal DOT tanks have to be taken off to be refilled.

This is why I figured that a 2 1/2 gallon vertical (removable) DOT tank (12” x12”) would be my best option. Sure, climbing under the truck to disconnect is a pain but I’d probably only have to do it once a week or every other week during a trip. I’ve gone on month long trips before where 5 gallons lasted me the whole trip.

I think removing a tank 10” x 23” might be a bit more challenging but doable. Can’t see removing any tank larger than that...

Alloy

Then you will be purchasing "as new".

Let us know how that $500+ has been spent.:)

What we don't know won't hurt us until it does.

I purchased new then had it sandblasted and painted with a zinc rich primer and a white top coat.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
What we don't know won't hurt us until it does.

I purchased new then had it sandblasted and painted with a zinc rich primer and a white top coat.
View attachment 516660

Looks like a job well done. No argument from me sir!

If a fellow wants to be sure that his tank will last as long as possible and can be filled anywhere, then buying a new one is the best answer. In my case the old van isn't worth much and I want to see how it turns out if I use the least expensive option available for every upgrade.

dreadlocks

those ASME tanks are seriously over engineered, I'd worry less.. my 1975 Westfallia ASME tank is at least 44 years old, and with a fresh paint job and modern fill valve it looked brand spanking new.. When I got it ~10 years ago the tank was all rusted up and looked like it was ready for the scrap heap.. I didnt want to pay $500 for a new one, so I made it work..

If your worried, you can surely take that ASME tank to a legit LP distributor, not uhaul more Hank Hill type companies that come fill up house sized tanks.. and the'll happily inspect it, paint it, install new valves/gauges/etc and then purge and fill it back up for you.. if its beyond refurbishment then they would know.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
Looks like a job well done. No argument from me sir!

If a fellow wants to be sure that his tank will last as long as possible and can be filled anywhere, then buying a new one is the best answer. In my case the old van isn't worth much and I want to see how it turns out if I use the least expensive option available for every upgrade.

It's a fair gamble. @dreadlocks has clearly had no issue getting tanks filled, and I'd wager you probably wouldn't either. So long as you ensure that any rust is cosmetic and do a decent job painting the tank, chances are nobody will notice or care.

Alloy

those ASME tanks are seriously over engineered, I'd worry less.. my 1975 Westfallia ASME tank is at least 44 years old, and with a fresh paint job and modern fill valve it looked brand spanking new.. When I got it ~10 years ago the tank was all rusted up and looked like it was ready for the scrap heap.. I didnt want to pay $500 for a new one, so I made it work..

If your worried, you can surely take that ASME tank to a legit LP distributor, not uhaul more Hank Hill type companies that come fill up house sized tanks.. and the'll happily inspect it, paint it, install new valves/gauges/etc and then purge and fill it back up for you.. if its beyond refurbishment then they would know.
Many years ago I went through the process. Bought a used tank , mounted it, a station refused to fill it because of rust, took the tank out to paint but a wire wheel wouldn't remove the rust so I called some propane shops to find out what they do. One place offered to look at the tank for free. They looked at it and said the tank shouldn't be used because of the pitting.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Really depends on why and where its rusting.

For steel tanks, if its just scratches & gouges, so long as it isnt too deep and the rust is just surface rust, no worries.
If it is rusting from the seams, beneath the paint, then the tank is questionable to the point of replacing, as the rust is probably cancer, and much deeper into the joint than you can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz