Propane Tank Locations? Exterior Only?

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I've noticed on the trailer builds here that the propane tanks typically get mounted outside the trailer. I'm having a hard time figuring out how, if possible, to put one on mine. Are propane tanks not allowed to be stored inside the trailer, or is it for personal or legal safety in case there are leaking gases? I had thought to maybe put it inside the tongue box, but if the batteries and electrical system go in there, it's possibly a bad idea. But on the exterior, your not affraid incase it gets hit by another vehicle or on the trail?

So, what do you guys think about the propane tank mounting and transport placements?

cs0430

I've noticed on the trailer builds here that the propane tanks typically get mounted outside the trailer. I'm having a hard time figuring out how, if possible, to put one on mine. Are propane tanks not allowed to be stored inside the trailer, or is it for personal or legal safety in case there are leaking gases? I had thought to maybe put it inside the tongue box, but if the batteries and electrical system go in there, it's possibly a bad idea. But on the exterior, your not affraid incase it gets hit by another vehicle or on the trail?

So, what do you guys think about the propane tank mounting and transport placements?

I wouldn't be too concerned if the trailer is open, but with an enclosed trailer you wouldn't want to run the risk of a leaking bottle building up gas in a confined area.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Trailer is closed, but I don't see much difference than all the years I've travelled without a trailer and the tank in the hatch or trunk...

TheThom

Adventurer
The recommendations I've seen are to store the propane in a vented compartment if it's inside the body of the trailer. I personally wouldn't keep it inside the trailer. An enclosed trailer is not a breathable as a tent. And most folks dont keep large LP tanks in their tents.

But a vented compartment would keep it safe inside, and let the gasses escape.

WanderingBison

Propane is heavier than air, so if the cylinder in enclosed, make sure to vent both hi and low.

The other concern would be the cylinder getting too hot and, as the pressure increases as a result of temperature, the cylinder could need to relieve some pressure which would mean flammable gas could be released from the cylinder into the enclosed space, making proper ventilation critical.

I personally would not put the cylinder with you batteries or electrical system as this increases the risk of ignition if there was an accumulation of flammable gases.

I would put the cylinder "outside" or inside a ventilated, gas tight compartment.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Storing propane tank in sealed enclosure with electrical components = Boom!

Storing propane tank in sealed enclosure = high potential for Boom!

Storing propane tank in enclosure vented only on top = chance of Boom!

Storing propane tank in enclosure vented top and bottom = OK

My propane tank:

650x488xHPIM0133.JPG.pagespeed.ic.B6AK6eJWmZ.jpg

pricey

Observer
Jeez, I wouldn't want to take your trailer off road in rocky country! How thick is the steel on that exposed tank Robert?

Robert Bills

Explorer
Jeez, I wouldn't want to take your trailer off road in rocky country! How thick is the steel on that exposed tank Robert?

The trailer has been in service since 1946 and the tank has been in its current location since the early 1990s. Both have seen thousands of miles of dirt and gravel roads including running the length of Baja California several times, and both have been repainted periodically for aesthetics, but there are no dents in either the trailer or the propane tank from rocks or road debris. You worry too much. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94