Propane tank gauge

seeNik48

Adventurer
We have a 2013 Hallmark Ute with a 6 gallon horizontal propane tank. You can not really tell what the volume is unless you take the tank out and guess by weight. Is there a gauge or other device to determine the volume remaining that you have found useful? Amazon reviews say some are useful and others say no, not accurate. Some say that horizontal tanks are not a good idea and the device won’t give an accurate reading. Thank-you.

On ours the gauge has never read correctly. I took a sharpie and marked where it reads when it's full and that is consistent. I have not run it to completely empty to do the same for the other end of the spectrum.
Doesn't seem that you can reclock the gauge

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
get a proper float gauge fitted, pressure means nothing

weighing it is the only accurate way

but there are sensing tapes give a ballpark

running hot water down the side

scandinavian translucent tanks

seeNik48

Adventurer
On ours the gauge has never read correctly. I took a sharpie and marked where it reads when it's full and that is consistent. I have not run it to completely empty to do the same for the other end of the spectrum.
Doesn't seem that you can reclock the gauge

Which gauge did you get? Ours doesn't have one. It is stock original, no additional items purchased.

seeNik48

Adventurer
get a proper float gauge fitted, pressure means nothing

weighing it is the only accurate way

but there are sensing tapes give a ballpark

running hot water down the side

scandinavian translucent tanks

Do you have a recommendation for a proper float gauge?

Weighing it means removing it and guesstimating by weight. PITA.

Sensing tape? Brand, source?

I think Hallmark offered a partially translucent tank at one time but discontinued fir some reason.

seeNik48

Adventurer
It came with the tank, 20lbs horizontal. Think it's a Manchester tank

My husband just said that we have a gauge but can’t read it as it faces the side. Also, he says it is not very accurate even upright. I don’t know the tank manufacturer although when I turn on the tank it is in front of my face. You would think I would notice after 7+ years.

I just wanted to have a quick read to give us an idea so we could plan when to refill. Often, we are out in the middle of nowhere. Once, we were in the Tonopah, NV area, and only one place had propane and you had to call a number and hope they weren’t making deliveries. Look at Tonopah’s location on a map: nothing for miles around. LV (yuck) or Ely or Bishop, CA.

The sensing tape might be the way to go.

john61ct

Adventurer
Another way is multiple tanks with a cutover valve, then you know one is empty.

Lots of gauges are just pressure based.

Only shows a drop when 98% empty, basically useless.

A real float gauge adds a lot to the cost, people buy on price.

But many have a sender so the dial can be mounted remotely.

seeNik48

Adventurer
Another way is multiple tanks with a cutover valve, then you know one is empty.

Lots of gauges are just pressure based.

Only shows a drop when 98% empty, basically useless.

A real float gauge adds a lot to the cost, people buy on price.

But many have a sender so the dial can be mounted remotely.

Unfortunately, there is only room for one tank. It probably won’t be cost effective to install a float gauge. I will check it out, though. My husband has to have his coffee, though. We carry a Solo stove that burns twigs and pine cones if we get in a pinch. We have very warm sleeping bags and two pup bed warmers so running out won’t be a disaster.

Thank-you for your help.

jkam

nomadic man
My RV came with a 10 gallon tank. The gauge that came with it is notoriously inaccurate.
I had put in a See Level II tank monitoring system. It uses tape on the black, grey and fresh water tanks, and is very accurate for those. Not sure how it measures the propane but it's a lot more accurate than the original, not perfect, but much better. The monitor gives measurements in percentage, I like that better than the old crappy kind.
It gets down to 3% and stays there. I give it another few days and then go fill. I've run out a couple of times over the years using this method, but generally it works well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94