Propane stove piping - corrosion on the outside of the pipes

alia176

Explorer
I'm curious what is going on here since I live in New Mexico and humidity is a non-issue for us. I haven't delve deeper into this just yet but wanted to get some feedback first. This is a typical Dometic stove+sink combo unit.

On a side note, the BTU output is rather dismal and I was curious if there was a way to increase that. Perhaps I can change out the regulator at the propane tank? Or is there an orifice deal that I can upsize on these burners?

Thanks.

1652121765740.png1652121785514.png

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hard to say without knowing the specific metals in each part, but that looks suspiciously like galvanic corrosion brought on by soldering or brazing dissimilar metals.

Thinking further in left field, it could also be the result of an incompatible flux or solder used in the joining process.

I would wire brush that all off very carefully with a brass brush and see if it is actually corrosion or just something coating the pipe. There is a slight possibility that something boiled over on the stove could have run down there over or through the burners.

Alloy

The manifold pipe looks to be aluminum with what looks to be brass fittings. Aluminum and Copper alloys should never be put together. The Cadium plating on the clamps just adds to the mix.

Looks like the same is happening on the nut on the gas valve.

If the valve with the most electrolysis is used the most then my guess the moisture is from condensation .

If is is aluminum then replace the pipe ASAP.

Send the pictures to Dometic.

alia176

Explorer
Thank you gents for the insightful responses, much appreciated.

I can't recall which burner's knob refuses to be pushed in during ignition but I bet this issue may be the cause of that issue.

Any ideas on how to increase the BTU output on these things?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94