Propane Storage

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
The proper way to transport them is in the upright position. Roof rack is an ideal location for safety. I was thinking of building something like a 6-pack holder to put them in.

That said, I pack on their side and place them into the propane fire pit bag which gets strapped to the roof.

Throw them in the back and forget about them... Well.. the only problem I've had is damaging the threads and couldn't get it to seal properly.

spikemd

Explorer
Anyone using the fiberglass propane tanks? I am looking into getting one for a M1101 trailer build. Look to be lighter and safer and you can see the level of propane.

As far as the little propane tanks, I throw them in my gear boxes and haven't had any issues. On a trip, my truck never gets too hot because we are driving during the day or the truck is open if we are stopped. As much as I would like to refill and reuse the containers, I don't trust the valves. New ones each time for me at about $4 so not worth the hassle.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
The fiberglass tanks are great but after lite cylinder went belly-up Ragasco are the only ones left on the market, I believe. Aluminum tanks are also a great way to go as aluminum transfers hear very well and saves weight if thats a concern. I had my lite cylinder stored inside my Jeelin AZ for a couple of yers and anver had any problems with leaks etc...

dstefan

I got sick of managing those stupid disposable tanks, not to mention the waste they generate. After I had one spew propane all over ( fortunately before lighting) due to a faulty seal I ditched them for this:
http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2...6131065&sr=1-1&keywords=1+gallon+propane+tank

Along with colman's adapter hose, this is a great set up. Seems expensive at first, but will pay off the cost quickly with savings from buying those little tanks, and one fill lasts a LONG time. Not to mention, less room than the equivalent number of little tanks, etc.

Just saying. . . .

TwinStick

Explorer
For the 20 lb tanks, in the bed of a pickup truck, a standard real milk crate works great, fits perfectly inside, just ratchet strap em down.

F800

I read an article the other day about an exploding 1lb tank that ripped the back half of a camper apart. I have a couple 1lb coleman single use tanks that I keep in the back of my jeep 24/7 inside a small Pelican 1200 size case.

Is that a bad idea, could it build up some sort of pressure and explode? Or is it smarter to keep them in the case?

I believe the Pelican's are designed so pressure will equalize, like, on a flight for instance.

I generally park 2 floors underground at a condo, so I'm not worried about the heat.

Would it make a difference storing them in the Jeep or inside my home?

Just trying to figure out what the best practice is. I'm sure it'll be fine either way.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I read an article the other day about an exploding 1lb tank that ripped the back half of a camper apart. I have a couple 1lb coleman single use tanks that I keep in the back of my jeep 24/7 inside a small Pelican 1200 size case.

Is that a bad idea, could it build up some sort of pressure and explode? Or is it smarter to keep them in the case?

I believe the Pelican's are designed so pressure will equalize, like, on a flight for instance.

I generally park 2 floors underground at a condo, so I'm not worried about the heat.

Would it make a difference storing them in the Jeep or inside my home?

Just trying to figure out what the best practice is. I'm sure it'll be fine either way.
I believe the article you are referring to is being discussed here:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I keep one small green tank in the Cub box inside my Front Runner pull out drawer that is used for my single stove for coffee. Have started using a Coleman small stove (kerosene) for coffee in the am so beginning to not carry them, also where to dispose of them? For the propane camp fire I carry an 11 pound tank on the roof rack, actually two with one for the stove for cooking.
Trying to get away from the little tanks. Did have one leak years ago but that might have been because I did not put the plastic cap on it after use.
Seems like this is a moot point as I have not left the house since last year and now it is too hot anywhere I want to go, have to wait till fall.

billiebob

Is that a bad idea, could it build up some sort of pressure and explode?
Incredibly bad idea. the issue is not the tank exploding, the issue is the tank leaking and finding a source of ignition. NEVER carry a propane cylinder INSIDE. NEVER carry propane unless you will need it.

here is the RV in the story..

camper-pic.jpeg

Here is a plumbers van

car_explosion_10.jpg

Propane on ignition expands 30 times, instantly.
Why do you always have a propane tank in yer truck ?

janders

If you're carrying 3 disposable 1lb cans, why not rock a refillable 5lb can with a decent mount? We just got one for $45 off of Amazon. Or you can get all high maka maka and throw down for one of these:

1592413334232.png

F800

Anybody else have any other thoughts on this? Do you all carry Coleman 1lb tanks outside of your vehicles? Do you store them in the backyard at home too? That's not a joke question, even though I agree it sounds ridiculous.

F800

Guys, look at this ( at 2:45 )

Is that dumb of him? Or do people generally agree that its ok to store the little 1 lb tanks inside the vehicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles