Propane or DC air conditioner for hard shell rooftop tent?

Cesna Jeeper

As we get closer to warmer months, concerned about heat while camping. Are there any good propane, DC or even AC (if can be run from inverter) air conditioner that can be mounted some how to hard shell tent?

Cesna Jeeper

So 2000 BTU/h, is that enough to cool down a tent? Let's say it's 100 out, would that make a difference worth the $$? Aren't there any low profile AC units that normally go on top of RVs that would work?

alanymarce

Curious what do most others do in warm weather?
I guess it depends on what you mean by "warm". In what I would call warm weather we open the windows and adjust them to have a comfortable air flow through the cabin. In cold weather we open the windows to a smaller gap, and adjust the gap for optimal temperature. In hot weather we open the windows fully. In case anyone's wondering about insects or other wildlife, we have mesh screens which prevent their entry while permitting air flow.

This works up to the low 30s C, which I think of as "hot" not "warm".

Grassland

The link takes me to a bunch of adds.

2000 BTU isn't tons of cooling. Especially in an essentially uninsulated enclosure.
At best you can use it to blow cold air on you for temporary reprieve.

Your average ductless split indoor units typically have a range of 6000-12000 BTU per hour, and those are for structures with insulation. Even window shakers are 5000+ BTU per hour.

Since the link doesn't work for me, where does this reject the heat to? Where does the condensate drain to?

wirenut

Adventurer
If your choices of fuel are propane, DC, or AC then what you're really powering it from is a propane generator. A battery bank capable of running any kind of air conditioning for a meaningful amount of time will be huge. If that device mentioned really uses 650 watts and you want to run it for an 8 hour night that's over 5 kwh of electricity. In terms of 12v battery power that's about 440 Ah.
The smallest RV air conditioner I'm aware of is a 9,000 Btu/hour unit. I think it uses about 9 amps at 120 volts so that's about 1,000 watts. Running it all night would take 8 kWh.
I think your least expensive option is a small window air conditioner and a very quiet Honda or Yamaha inverter generator.

4000lbsOfGoat

Maybe try a fan? As mentioned above, a tent is essentially un-insulated so an AC unit would have to run continuously for even dubious results...If the tent has a solid roof you should be able to permanently mount a MaxFan, or the like, right into it.

86scotty

Cynic
Here we go again, it must be Springtime.

We are smart animals. If there were a more efficient, cheaper and simpler way to cool off a living space we would've thought of it by now. We can talk about it all day, and I'm not just being a tool, but your options are:

Stay home
Buy a 5th wheel
Go somewhere cooler

I usually choose option 3 or 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior