propane heaters

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I've been looking to add some kind of heater to the box on our M109, it's 12'x8' so it would not need to be anything huge. Just spent a couple hours searching, and reading, does not seem like I have too many options. At the moment I'm thinking of going w/ a cat heater and venting . . . but I am open to other opinions :sombrero:

chasespeed

Explorer
Hmm... 12x8...

What's your budget?

I would look into a small direct vent wall heater for a house/shed/mobile home, etc. I think for what you have, that is a geat idea. Doesnt need power, natural convection, but, most have an optional blower you can plug in....

Really depends on what you need, and what your available space is....

Chase

fisher205

Explorer
If I was to do it all over again I would look at these, http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html

My Alaskan had a vented cat heater in it originally that didn't require any power. I founf out that they are now illegal due tha tthey could back draft and fill the cabin with CO2. (How much different than a non ventilated catalytic heater?). The power draw is still pretty minimal for these.

Brad

chasespeed

Explorer
We use the HeatSource propane heater. No mixing of combused air and heated air. Air intake and exhaust to the outside. Very efficient with a thermostat

THAT is a direct vent heater... what I was talking about. Didnt know they made them that small.

THAT is the route I strongly suggest. The combustion process is completely sealed, and shares NO air with the heated space... PERFECT in a small area...

For that box, the 6k MIGHT be enough.... if not, get the smaller one later..., then you can run the 3k as a primary, and the 6k as a 2nd stage heat...

BUT, for venting and space, these units, with a typical concenttric vent from a supply house... etc...

Chase

Explorer
So far the Heatsource is the best option, followed by electric. With electric you're looking at additional batteries and some expensive solar chargers so the cost would be higher.

A heated mattress pad along with the Heatsource unit might compliment each other nicely.

Don't settle for the Mr. buddy type heaters unless you're a mildew farmer.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I do like that "Heatsource", now I just need to figure out how to do it for a fraction of the cost. It's just a firebox that heats air going through it (in a sealed from the firebox air system). kind of like a on-demand water heater.
I could prob come up w/ something :sombrero:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I do like that "Heatsource", now I just need to figure out how to do it for a fraction of the cost. It's just a firebox that heats air going through it (in a sealed from the firebox air system). kind of like a on-demand water heater.
I could prob come up w/ something :sombrero:

It's a little bit complex because you need a method of turning off the gas if the flame goes out, and a method of turning the unit off if it over heats.

I know the units are expensive but when you are dealing with gas, open flame, and heat it's not worth messing around with. You'd be better off with either a really good sleeping bag or a walled tent with a wood burning stove rather than making your own.

matt s

Explorer
I put a direct vent heater with mechanical thermostat in our little camper this summer. Measures about 2' x 1' and six inches deep. 7,000 btu. Works great. payed about $400 for it. I don't know the brand but a little internet searching will turn up options.

Similar to this but smaller overall. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1429&bih=802&q=propane+direct+vent+heater&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1135535631347453063&ei=KOPcTK_hKZSWsgPg3_z8Cg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CGcQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

Last edited:

chimivee

Observer
Propex (HeatSource) heater! Lots of heat, very quickly, thermostatically controlled, and a fairly compact package. Some find them a little noisy, and they definitely aren't cheap. But oh, they heat so good. I have one in my Vanagon and it kicks azz.

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG

TWHuntFish

Marine heaters

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/products.html

I had the solid fuel heater in my 1st Callen, ( full stand up headroom ). It loved a combination of 2"x2" oak & doug fir , with the odd kingsford briquette thrown in.

I have always used a smoke detector in my boats and campers.
Home Depot just had a sale on Kiddee smoke & CO detectors. I bought one for my current Callen shell and it works very well, set it off with errant smoke from the campfire wafting into the camper.

If you camp in wet weather, the dry heat of a solid fuel stove is awesome.

The diesel stoves do emit a diesel smell, the propane versions are really nice,
vented exhaust, little flame window for aesthetics.

What ever heater you choose, spend the $30 for a combo detector, and crack the windows / vents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles