Propane Generator

dreadlocks

The propane run burns nearly 2-3 times as much and propane is typically harder to find and more expensive.

thats a fud statement.. Propane produces 92,000 BTU’s per gallon, gasoline is capable of producing 114,000 BTU’s per gallon.. by my math that is not nearly 2-3 times anything, and LP typically costs about $2 per gallon and gets real cheap in summer when heating demands are low, where gas gets more expensive and $2/g is cheap for RUG.. the extra fuel needed for LP use is offset by its cheaper cost usually when were not at record low fuel prices recently, so its about a wash and both are within a few cents of eachother on costs per kwh.

tanuki.himself

Thinking of getting a honda to run on propane for the same reasons as Dreadlocks - diesel truck, already carry propane for cooking and don't want to lug around a third fuel type. I've also read that the exhaust smell running on propane is a lot less noticable around your campsite - i guess if you are cooking on propane inside your camper or over a flame grill outside then the fumes should be easier to live with than patrol

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yes. There just isn't enough surface area for the fuel to evaporate in a small tank. Extremely hot weather helps a bit.

dreadlocks

If its a dual fuel, fire it up with gas.. point the exhaust at the LP tank and after a few mins switch it over to LP.. but thats mostly a problem w/small tanks or big tanks that are nearly empty and its too cold to get enough vapor pressure off em, and all your LP appliances would struggle.. however, it just takes a small heat source, like the exhaust to start building more pressure up in em.

Used to go backpacking w/those little butane cookers, but hadda keep the tiny tanks in my sleeping bag to keep em warm enough overnight I could make breakfast in the morning.. now I cook using moonshine in a little mouthwash bottle for fuel when backpacking because LP/Butane was a PITA and those cyls are not that light or cheap.

Last edited:

Jman99

I did consider a true LPG genny for the clean fumes and using a big bottle meant not having to fill up all the time. But the things are massive & heavy.
I mainly use a genny to slam big amps back into my lithium so the Honda's size & power along with extended fual tank just can't be beat. I size my genny so even at relatively high elevation it will run my charger with ease.
Also LPG is alot harder to store for me than petrol in a plastic container.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Several good/valid points of view.

We have never "deeply discharged" our batteries due to limited sunlight on the solar panels but we have gotten nervous when the shade and cloudy weather start to conspire against our battery bank.

Since we are about to be "full-timers" in our little rig, we are looking for the best compromise of cost, output and storage space. I wish our Honda 2000 wasn't so heavy since it's a great unit and offers the ability to use propane with an available kit.

We are considering adding another solar panel to our set-up but that really doesn't change things related to my original point about cloudy days.

We typically spend several days in a location off-grid so charging from the truck isn't a great option on those days we are not traveling.

Our planned travels will see us in a bunch of different locations (Four Corners, PNW, BC, Baja) and varied elevations so we are in for a bunch of different conditions as well.

The research continues.....

Thanks again,

Nate

chet6.7

Explorer
I converted my Honda 2200 over to propane about a month ago. Simple install and more convenient for me since I have 2 10lb tanks on the front of the trailer.

I bought the generator as a backup because there have been numerous occasions that I do not have direct sunlight for the sun due to tree cover or its been cloudy out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kit did you use?
Thanks.

dreadlocks

Iook at it this way, 50lb genset is lighter than a 70lb 100AH battery and weighs about as much as a ~300W house panel.. for an energy supply its pretty good IMO.

Load plays a big part in genset noise too, if you get a small sub 1k genset and load it up to 80-100% load its gona be far less tolerable than your Honda under half load.. those who load up a 2k genset and want quiet gotta upsize and buy a 3k for lower operating noise.

Krobertz

I have this Champion Power Equipment 76533 propane generator. Good generator and comes with excellent power and engine capacity ratings enough to run most tools and appliances, with 3,420 continuous watts on propane.

Last edited:

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Dual fuel for the win here... I have a 2kw Champion dual fuel that has been perfect on both fuels. If you find yourself short on propane while on your travels, just get some gas in a pinch. Propane is also much easier on engine/engine oil. Run an engine on propane for a couple hundred hours, then do the same with gas and compare.... its drastic. With a capable and decently efficient charger and running a 2kw generator at a friendly 1300W your making 90 amps dc give or take at 13v (yes I said 13 volts as that is closer to actual charge voltage)

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I am currently building a new truck camper to replace one that I built 17 years ago.
It will have no gas.
Maximise the solar. As much as you can fit. There is always a way to fit more.
Then for back up you already have a big generator under the bonnet - the alternator. It is there. Organise it to be useful.
P1010099E.JPGP1010096E.JPG
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior