Propane for Cooking: Exterior Vehicle Storage (4Runner)

FleshEater

I was lucky enough to score a Rig’d spare tire carrier with a table set up for cheap from another forum. This set in motion thinking about cooking out on the trails, instead of always carrying “snacks” and having to get back to civilization to find a place to grab a bite in the evenings.

We are just getting into the idea of being more and more independent when venturing into the wilderness alone. With the kids and wife, they’re not always as adventurous as I am, so this might make it more fun for them to experience the outdoors, without depending on things like restaurants.

Which led me to propane transportation and storage. I found threads here and other places, but what I want to know is, has anyone utilized the stock spare tire location for a propane fuel cell? Many off road and on road vehicles are now driven by propane. So why not set it up where it can be easily mounted and dismounted for filling, but stored out of the way from the cab? The 4th gen 4Runner inside storage is not extensive. A 5lbs. or 10lbs. propane tank takes up a bit of room.

Is this a stupid idea? Obviously if getting into serious rocks, a skid would be required, but as of right now that’s not a concern for me.

phsycle

Adventurer
Any concerns with dirt, mud, salt, etc build up? High speed gravel roads means I’d probably want some sort of skid plate. Which would then make it a pain to refill.
I’d probably just mount a small tank on the spare tire carrier.

Rigd make a ton of accessories for the Ultraswing. The Sidehack and and other would be easy to mount a propane tank to.

I would avoid putting the bomb errrrrrrrrr tank under the rig.

-p

FleshEater

Any concerns with dirt, mud, salt, etc build up? High speed gravel roads means I’d probably want some sort of skid plate. Which would then make it a pain to refill.
I’d probably just mount a small tank on the spare tire carrier.

That was a concern, but tucked up in the spare tire location that would only be an issue if going into deep mud. I haven’t found much of that out west, but would definitely be an issue.

I can look into mounting ideas.

Rigd make a ton of accessories for the Ultraswing. The Sidehack and and other would be easy to mount a propane tank to.

I would avoid putting the bomb errrrrrrrrr tank under the rig.

-p

They make options, that cone with stupid price tags. I never would’ve bought this new. The deal I got was a bit too good to pass up.

Really no more volatile than a gas tank hanging really low.

beef tits

You could drop a standard 20 lb propane tank off a 20' bridge and it probably would be fine. Not sure why everyone is concerned with mounting them on exterior. They are literally built to fall off of moving semi trucks and not explode. Your plastic gasoline tank is far more dangerous.

FleshEater

You could drop a standard 20 lb propane tank off a 20' bridge and it probably would be fine. Not sure why everyone is concerned with mounting them on exterior. They are literally built to fall off of moving semi trucks and not explode. Your plastic gasoline tank is far more dangerous.

Like I said above, plenty of off road vehicles running on propane. Even on road vehicles.

I don’t see an issue with it. Just figured I’d throw it out there for feedback.

The thought of traversing deep mud had not crossed my mind, but would definitely junk up the shut off and be more trouble than it’s worth.

Pretty sure I’m going to just sell the Rig’d table that came with the carrier and mount a tank behind the spare tire on the carrier. A small, light folding table is just as easy to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior