Propane canister mount to outside of rear door?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Are you dead set on going through the door skin?

I don't like the idea of penetrating the body any more than necessary, so I built a lightweight external rack that hangs on the door hinges and then mounted stuff to that. See page 14 of my build thread linked in my signature.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer

That's a tank for fueling an engine. It dispenses liquid propane, not vapor. It is not compatible with RV appliances, cookstoves, lanterns, or heaters.

It is designed to mount horizontally replacing the spare tire UNDER a truck or van.

It's also $1,300!

dreadlocks

Under body tanks are ASME tanks, and as such they dont expire and can be refilled indefinitely.. cheapest source for em is find one in salvage yard from a camper van and refurbish em w/fresh paint and fittings.. the one on my westy is 45 years old and still completely sound.

Stevemo

The ASME tanks need to be provided protection from basic road debris (use some sheet metal around the sides) and the valve must be accessible without a key. If you go to an RV parts shop you will find all sorts of regulators and quick connect hoses to allow you to run any of your portable appliances.

Alloy

Portable appliances that use the green tanks have a reg that needs to be removed so low pressure propane can be used......I saw a portable low pressure BBQ at Costco months ago.

Between our ASME tank and the reg I've installed a POL (with a shut off valve) fitting on a 1/4"x 48" high pressure hose. The POL fitting allows any portable DOT tank to be connected to the trailer. A QCC fitting is another option but this limits the tanks to less than 40lb.

My attempt at buying a used ASTM tank failed. I found out after buying it that any rust pitting is too much.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
IMG_20180926_071217_SM.jpg

I'd originally responded while on mobile and couldn't easily post a photo of what I was talking about. Here's a propane tank and fuel can mounted to a rack on the rear door. The racks hang on the door hinges, so the weight is not on the "skin" of the door. The only penetration is inside of the doors where the tab ties the rack to the door (so the racks swing open with the door).

Ramble4x4

I’d also like to mount a propane tank on my rear door and use it still mounted for my cook stove. In the spirt of “the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked “ - is it ok to have the propane fuel source higher than the stove? As I recall propane gas is heavier than air and wants to go to ground but still - “most” applications have the source lower than the appliance. Thanks.

WOODY2

Adventurer
View attachment 536083

I'd originally responded while on mobile and couldn't easily post a photo of what I was talking about. Here's a propane tank and fuel can mounted to a rack on the rear door. The racks hang on the door hinges, so the weight is not on the "skin" of the door. The only penetration is inside of the doors where the tab ties the rack to the door (so the racks swing open with the door).
Great concept and fabrication.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...in the spirt of “the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked “ - is it ok to have the propane fuel source higher than the stove?...

Yes, that's fine. Propane vapor is drawn from above the liquid level within the tank so as long as the tank doesn't tip over, you can use an appliance connected to it in any position- higher, lower, etc.

Alloy

I found the info on mounting propane tanks. It was NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles -2005

5.2.22 Mounting of Propane Containers

- 5.2.3.4 Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper
of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles