Pronghorn Tacoma bumper: This looks interesting!

http://pronghorngear.com/products/modular-front-end-system/mfes-tacoma/

It's made of aluminum so it should be really light plus easy to ship. Modular so damaged pieces can be replaced if need be and you can change it to suit your needs. The variety of recovery points is excellent, I like the rotating shackle mounts. In one of the pictures they even show a drop pin recovery point in the background, similar to what many Land Rover's use, but they don't list it as an option. Probably going to be expensive and I'm not too keen on the angle of the winch rope over the hawse.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Wow, I was so excited for this piece to be released! Unfortunately, I can't get past the aesthetics. Perhaps it will grow on me.

screwball48

Explorer
Great concept! The aesthetics of the design would look killer on an older model truck. Would love to see that the styling cues and modularity in a rear bumper design.

Box Rocket

While I appreciate the outside the box thinking, it looks like it was built out of my 6 year old's Construx toys. I think the modular concept has it's place but this is a FUGLY wrapper for the concept.

Also the winch rope is going to have a lot of unnecessary wear from having the harsh change in pulling angle with the low mounting. The fairlead should be acting as just a guide with the winch mounted as closely as possible to allow a straight-line pull through the opening in the bumper.

bkg

Explorer
While I appreciate the outside the box thinking, it looks like it was built out of my 6 year old's Construx toys. I think the modular concept has it's place but this is a FUGLY wrapper for the concept.

Also the winch rope is going to have a lot of unnecessary wear from having the harsh change in pulling angle with the low mounting. The fairlead should be acting as just a guide with the winch mounted as closely as possible to allow a straight-line pull through the opening in the bumper.

Agreed. Awesome idea, odd execution.

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
I have been following their products with the jeep and really love it for the jeep set-ups. I like the tacoma bumper also sounds like they have some side pieces in CAD currently that are going to be added to tie bumper into sides. I pretty much love the utilitarian look of the bumper. As stated above my first issue I did not like with the bumper is how the winch line is coming through, this could cause a lot of un-needed psi on bumper mounting during certain winching situations. It kinda baffles me that the winch line would come through like that since they spent the time on making the shackles rotate so that they are always pulling at a better angle no matter where they are pulling from. Their hook in design for shackle mounts and winch is excellent. I have not seen bumper up close so hopefully I will be able to get a better look shortly, and maybe the winch configuration will make more sense up close.:)
Cam-shaft.

Last edited:
There are specific sections of the bumpers design that I like, but the overall look of the unit has an unfinished look to me, I think it's that gap where you can see the winch mounted low down between the skid and main body of the bumper

Some people like ugly - I like most of it quite a bit. If I were to get one for my 2013 Taco, I'd have to do something about the bumper ends. Of course, if I were to get one, the price would be an issue. No posting on the Taco prices, but the JK prices were nuts! Frankly, I could get two ARB bumpers or one and a half All Pro aluminium front plate bumpers, for the same prices they posted for the JKs. Either they have the world's most inefficient and unproductive assembly process ever or they are seeking too high a profit for each bumper. If they could get a bumper out for $1200-$1500 that had the skid plate, grill protection, light protection and recovery points (something that All Pro, Aluminess and ARB all offer for that price point or less) then I'd seriously consider taking a run at one of these. I'm not willing to pay $2200 to $2400 plus shipping, plus Canadian taxes at the border when there are proven products that I could have for $1500 all in.

TreeDog

I actually really like it. Definitely would be interested, but not if the price point is with the jeep version. Way out of my budget range.

TreeDog

Some people like ugly - I like most of it quite a bit. If I were to get one for my 2013 Taco, I'd have to do something about the bumper ends. Of course, if I were to get one, the price would be an issue. No posting on the Taco prices, but the JK prices were nuts! Frankly, I could get two ARB bumpers or one and a half All Pro aluminium front plate bumpers, for the same prices they posted for the JKs. Either they have the world's most inefficient and unproductive assembly process ever or they are seeking too high a profit for each bumper. If they could get a bumper out for $1200-$1500 that had the skid plate, grill protection, light protection and recovery points (something that All Pro, Aluminess and ARB all offer for that price point or less) then I'd seriously consider taking a run at one of these. I'm not willing to pay $2200 to $2400 plus shipping, plus Canadian taxes at the border when there are proven products that I could have for $1500 all in.

I agree. I really like it, but if the price range is the same as the JK versions it's out of my budget range.

soonenough

Explorer

x2, I agree with both of these points. I can really appreciate the amount of work that goes into something like this, especially the modular aspects of the bumper, recovery points, etc. But why would you spend so much time designing all of that and then essentially stop at one of the most important points - making sure it looks at least halfway decent. Like it or not that's a big decision point for the vast majority of buyers, and as it looks in the pictures now, this thing is fugly. I dig the utilitarian look, but this thing just looks incomplete. Maybe as someone mentioned there's additional pieces that will be on the production bumper to complete the look. AND, then there's the issue of price...ouch....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles