Project XXX

XXXpedition

Explorer
dan,
i just went out to take another measurement...

to the top of my light frames it is 224cm
to the top of the roofrack floor it is 210cm
the width of my tires (35/12.50r17) is 30cm

(that's with a 4" lift and custom roofrack)

so, you're safe with the rack, but i guess not with all the stuff on top...

hope that helps ;-)

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Yeah,

That's wicked, thanks for all the very detailed info. Of course, like you said, you can easily take stuff off the rack, and you could let a lot of air out of the tires too.

Also, if you share a container with another overlander, you get a 40' High Cube for the same price as a regular 40', and those have a higher door.

I'm sure you'll get it in there if you want to. (I do!)

-Dan

XXXpedition

Explorer
thanks...
anytime...

i'd have a lot more plans if i'd still live in the states. (restrictions here and i have to spend 3 times as much to make it work :-(( )

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
A few questions more...;)

Hey Sven,
I have some questions about the roof rack. Do you have specifics on what kind/size tubing you used to make it? I'm going for something similar for my CJ-8 and like the proportions of yours. Do you know the outside dameter and the wall thickness? And were the 90* bends something you made or did you find them "off the shelf" at a metal supplier? Any idea how much it weights (empty/without boxes and fuel etc)?
Also, I don't imagine you will be taking the full top off anytime soon..haha. I have been thinking of some way to make it more accessable for this. I don't have the front panel issue but I do have a full length, heavy and unweildy top. Any thoughts or advice would be great! Thanks! Ted

XXXpedition

Explorer
hi ted,
i made it from 1 3/4" steel - they call it 'black tube' here - not sure about the thickness of the steel but i'd guess it's about 6-8mm - it's pretty heavy.
the 90 degree bends were off the shelf - all material was purchased at a wholesaler by my friend. i'd suppose you should find something similar over there.
to guess the weight is difficult. i can pick it up by myself but it takes at least 3 people to put it on the truck - 4 is easier...

the way i designed it i have to take the 2 front panels off (works well with the rack on) and then slide the rear part of the top out to take off the rack.
that's easy enough with 2 people - the top is light. then i can drive open with the rack on. or i take it off and reinstall the top without the rack.
of course i have to remove the top again to put the rack back on...

but in these climate conditions that doesn't happen very often :)

i guess you could also build a simple 'dolly' on wheels to support the top left and right to pull it out/slide it under the rack...

you could also hang it from the ceiling. either rack incl. the top, or just one or the other...

hope that helps
sven

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Gas pipe..

Thanks Sven...
Yeah, I'm gonna guess its the same as the pipe we use stateside for running gas lines into houses. It comes in different outside diameters and is pretty thick (=heavy). I built my roof rack for my FullSize Jeep Cherokee out of it too. Though I think I used smaller diameter tubing...like 1" or so? But the rack was so large and over built (oops..blush) that it weights a LOT. ANd one of the other things I didn't like about it was it was a gutter mounted design. Plus it still flexed despite over building...perhaps my lack of engineering skills is to blame there.?.
But my next one I am thinking 1 3/4-2" thinner walled tubing. Think slightly thicker than the average Futon frame...? I think this should be strong and light...the only caviat I see would be if it should be dented...*shrugs?*
The thought of having to ship it may also come into play. The Army will put it in a Container and it will travel via containter ship. To that end I guess I need to make sure it fits before I get carried away.
What did you paint yours with? I know there are some potentually better coating in Europe that the states have so I'm wondering if I should just rattle can it for the boat ride and then worry about getting it done better once its there..? Any input on German paints and primers?

XXXpedition

Explorer
i had mine primered by a friend. it's a saltwater resistant coating used for pipes that run in and along ocean waters. i just painted over it with a cheap black paint - too cheap - it comes off really easily. i need to fix that, but the primer is good enough ;-)
where in germany are you going to be? grafenwöhr or so it was, right? we should hook up... how long are you going to be there?
sven

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
No idea yet...

Hey Sven,
Yeah, I was supposed to be going to Graff but I am not 100% sure that is where they will station me? The Army has some strange ways of telling you one thing and then surprising you with somewhere else...haha. But yea, we should get together at some point and do a little wheeling/camping. I should be there 3 years at the minimum...Lots of things I want to see and places I'd like to take the jeep...I'm a bit of a history buff and would like to see the WWII sites and monuments at some point. Europe has so much history available...thats one of those things we sorta miss out on being a "new" country over in the US...

XXXpedition

Explorer
i was going through some designs i did and found this, done a couple of years before i owned a JK myself....
2Sv-XWU.jpg

and my project now in comparison...
IMG_5919.JPG

i thought i share that ;-)

Last edited:

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I first want to say great thread. I have been following you for a few years now and it is actually because of you and your XJ That my wife and I have an XJ and have begun expedition style off-raoding. Its still in state but we all start somewhere.

I do have a question about your lights. It looks like you are using two styles of Hellas do you by chance know the models? Also, is that trailer wiring your using to power the lights? that seems a bit lite for 8.3 amps per light.

Keep the pics and build coming!

Thanks
--Rob

PS here is a shot of our xj project.
http://www.packmuleadventures.com/temp/xj1.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I first want to say great thread. I have been following you for a few years now and it is actually because of you and your XJ That my wife and I have an XJ and have begun expedition style off-raoding. Its still in state but we all start somewhere.

I do have a question about your lights. It looks like you are using two styles of Hellas do you by chance know the models? Also, is that trailer wiring your using to power the lights? that seems a bit lite for 8.3 amps per light.

Keep the pics and build coming!

Thanks
--Rob

PS here is a shot of our xj project.
http://www.packmuleadventures.com/temp/xj1.jpg

Freaking nice XJ Guys!:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94