Project X - Just another Excursion Project

Long time Lurker - such a great site and resource. There are several great Excursion builds on this site - I think I've read them all 2-3 times. Y'all have inspired me to share my current project.

Project X - or how to turn $20k in cash into a $10k vehicle. :rolleyes:

I still remember when the Ford Excursion was first announced back in 1999. We HAD to have one. Naturally, we bought one the first year it came out. The subject vehicle: 2000 Ford Excursion XLT 7.3L 2wd. Over the next 18yrs it has served as the family Truckster and tow vehicle. Pulling the camper, and all manner of trailers.

house-L.jpg

Sept12-XL.jpg

IMG_5166-XL.jpg

IMG_4604-XL.jpg

Sadly, it had endured some physical abuse and has scars to prove it.

Rusty rockers. :cry:
IMG_20180325_135658-XL.jpg

Collision damage. :eek:
IMG_1694-XL.jpg

Not to mention several dents from minor mishaps. :(

With rust, body damage and 240k miles, we debated replacing the trusty X with a new shiny 4dr truck. We wanted a 4X4 since we’ve begun venturing off-road with our JK Wrangler and would like to do some light wheeling with our tow vehicle. After shopping, research and test drives, we concluded there just isn’t an adequate replacement for the X. So contrary to good sense and judgement, we’ve decided to restore the X and make it the expedition vehicle we want.

Since we wanted to convert it to 4wd and we needed body panels, it seemed obvious we should look for a donor vehicle. Donor to the rescue!!
20180317_120843-XL.jpg

Enter a 2002, 4wd, V10. This is it's good side - which works out, cuz we need the quarter panel. The 2002 is rust free, but the interior is RAGGED OUT. There's collision damage in the front right fender and door - we need neither. The truck runs well, the 4wd works and we drove it onto the trailer.

First order of business is for the donor to start donating. If you're gonna cut a hole, might as well cut a big one! :p
IMG_20180401_111524-XL.jpg

We'll be a bit more delicate with Project X. ;)
IMG_20180404_100238-XL.jpg

Donor quarter trimmed up and ready for the first fitting.
IMG_20180404_100254-XL.jpg

First fitting - pretty close. (y)
544736452-L.jpg

544736433-XL.jpg

Almost ready for the paint booth. Getting a full re-spray! :cool:
IMG_20180418_082416-L.jpg

More to come!
CR

Last edited:
What was wrong with the donor? Why not just start with it?

Fair question. The donor was not so far gone that is couldn't be saved, but my X is closer to the final outcome I'm going for. In the end, I want a 4wd, 7.3L Diesel. The donor is a V10 gas. It's less work to swap the quarter panel, front axle and xfr case from the donor into my X than to swap the engine, tranny, fuel system, wiring harness, ECM and interior from my X into the donor. Then I'd still have to fix the collision damage on the front right of the donor. It's a lot of work either way - I'm just more comfortable with my X - I know it's history.

CR

Mccool

Observer
Looks like you're doing a great job. But why not buy a 4x4 7.3 excursion in good shape? This looks like a ton of work!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
You may need the V10 transmission. I believe they are the same- at least from the 10,000 foot level: both 4r100. But the 4wd transmission may be shorter than the 2wd transmission.

I don't know if there is anything else different between the gas and diesel.

Looks like you're doing a great job. But why not buy a 4x4 7.3 excursion in good shape? This looks like a ton of work!

Now where would be the fun in that!? :p

You may need the V10 transmission. I believe they are the same- at least from the 10,000 foot level: both 4r100. But the 4wd transmission may be shorter than the 2wd transmission.

I don't know if there is anything else different between the gas and diesel.

Sadly, the V10 tranny doesn't bolt up - but we're jumping ahead. Fear not, there's a plan. (y)

CR

A little time after work enabled me to get the front axle ready to drop out.

IMG_20180425_184355-XL.jpg

IMG_20180425_184339-XL.jpg

Now where are those friends of mine with weak minds and strong backs? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
CR

I don't want to ruin the surprise - gotta keep you coming back and checking on what crazy thing is happening next! ;)

This weekend, we'll drop the front axle, power wash and degrease it. Get it in the shop and tear it down completely. Hint: among the new parts in the picture above are 4.30 gears. :cool:

CR

Got the front axle out.

IMG_20180428_103340-XL.jpg

Stripped the steering, swaybar, track bar off then degreased and power washed.

IMG_20180428_110759-XL.jpg

Brakes off and sitting in the shop. Ready to start the tear down!

IMG_20180428_190319-XL.jpg

We can see from the oil stain that the passenger side axle seal has been leaking. No problem - we'll be doing a full rebuild.
I love this stuff!!
CR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles