Project WAR WAG

Outback

Explorer
Thanks for asking. I am currently 105 miles above the Arctic Circle at a research facility. I should be home in about 2 weeks and plan on finishing up some small projects on WAR WAG. I still need to install rear brake line, front sway bar disconnect, mount winch and a few other ones that are eluding me right now. I will be gearing up to either building a rear box for expedition use or mounting a Flip Pac. I really like the Flip Pac. We will see.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
This thing is awesome! I love the stuffed BFG's. How is the arctic circle? Starting to get dark up there yet?

skysix

Adventurer
Fuel supply

How are you coming along with the additional 20 and 30 gallon tanks? I was looking at the blazer and suburban tanks where the spare was but no fit... Boo. NW Metal Products in OR has nice high capacity one that will fit but $$$

Once I get a digital camera I'll start my own thread - M1031 with (eventually a Utility deck or box and) a 10' Alaskan CO (rear side dinette - can still use it collapsed). Plan to start the lift work etc soon, but switching to a D70HD rear axle with spacers instead of a SRW conversion so I can run DRW on the street. DRW front hubs but thinking of a high pinion D70 front end as the cost of a Dynatrac Prorock 60 (7500# GAWR) is way high. By the time I get my planned fuel and stuff loaded + PTO front winch etc it will be over 4500# front weight - and I'd rather run at 70-80% of design limits...

Outback

Explorer
Sweet! Thanks for the update! Have you thought about alternative fuels at all?

Yes I have been wanting to do a 100% veggie oil conversion. You start up on diesel and let everything warm up. You then switch to Veggie oil and run her all day. Before you shut down you switch back to diesel and wait a minute then shut her off. I do not know as of yet when I will do this conversion. A Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit will be installed first.

Outback

Explorer
This thing is awesome! I love the stuffed BFG's. How is the arctic circle? Starting to get dark up there yet?

When I was up there it was getting damned cold. The temp was -20 and its a wet cold. But -20 isnt really cold by there standards and it was just the start of winter. The days seemed pretty normal at that point.

Outback

Explorer
How are you coming along with the additional 20 and 30 gallon tanks? I was looking at the blazer and suburban tanks where the spare was but no fit... Boo. NW Metal Products in OR has nice high capacity one that will fit but $$$

Once I get a digital camera I'll start my own thread - M1031 with (eventually a Utility deck or box and) a 10' Alaskan CO (rear side dinette - can still use it collapsed). Plan to start the lift work etc soon, but switching to a D70HD rear axle with spacers instead of a SRW conversion so I can run DRW on the street. DRW front hubs but thinking of a high pinion D70 front end as the cost of a Dynatrac Prorock 60 (7500# GAWR) is way high. By the time I get my planned fuel and stuff loaded + PTO front winch etc it will be over 4500# front weight - and I'd rather run at 70-80% of design limits...

I havent done any more on the 3 tank build aspect. I will use 2 stock 20 gallon side tanks with a 40 gallon rear tank. Plans include welding in stock fuel doors on my bed. Two doors per side. This will allow me to fill the rear tank from either side. Plumbing them all will be stock items I will pick up from LMC. Thats about as far as I have gotten on that. I just need the time to do it. I will also incorporate rock sliders with the two side tanks skid plates. OK thats as far as I have gotten with that plan.

I hope to see your build soon. As a suggestion I would stay with the stock axles. The King Pin Dana 60 is hell for stout stock and can be beefed up for some serious hard core off road bashing if need be. For our application stock is pretty strong. For me though I will do all the Upgrades and still be cheaper in the long run than a Dana 70 conversion. With the exception of the OX Locker I plan to install in my Dana 60. For the rear your Corporate 14 Bolt is pretty much bullet proof as is. Yes you can also swap out to Cromemolly axles ect ect but again we are not running 44" tires with 700 hp engines. The biggest benifit is that they are already on the truck and work great as is. Plus the Corp 14 is already to swap either SRW or DRW. Its done and all that extra cash can be put into the other items on your list. Also the front Dana 60 can be easily converted to Dually hubs. That will allow you to run Dually rims all around. This is just my opinion and if you do the Dana 70 swaps I would really love to see it here. Drop me a PM when you start your thread.

Outback

Explorer
So after a few months out in the field I was finally able to fly home late Monday night. Yesterday I started to work on War Wag again. She has developed a small engine oil leak and a transmission leak. I checked the tranny and she was a bit overfilled from Oil Can Henry's. The engine oil level was fine. So I crawled up underneith her (I really like the 4" lift) and start checking for loose bolts. I quickley located two loose oil pan bolts and one tranny pan bolt. 1/4" ratchet and extensions ect later and all is back to normal. I then started on removing my Nevada plates and bolting on my single rear Arizona plate. The rear plate is mounted on the drivers side rear half of the bumper. I used some Lite N Blots to provide the illumination of the rear plate at night. With that done I started on my front winch mount. I had planned to use either my Military Warn 15,000 winch, Military Warn 6,000 winch or a civy 9,000 Warn winch I had on my Snow Cat. I chose the Civy version as it would be the simplest. After cutting out the center cross bars on my brush guard I placed the Warn in the spot for a better idea of how she would look. I had done this before but I wasnt happy with how it looked reccessed. It blocks to much airflow and it just didnt look right. I will post some pics later. Then I realized that I didnt need a front plate! HMMMmmmm Ok some manual manipulation of the winch behind the front bumper. After playing with all of the winches I realized I could lay the Warn 9,000 lbs winch on her back and get her to fit with no visible sign of the winch. The roller fairlead will bolt up to where the front license plate use to be. I plan to run a synthetic cable anyway so I dont have to worry about kinking a wire rope as I wont beable to feed her on properly. This also happen even when you have access to the spool. When your winching you end up not always getting the wire rope to lay the way you want it to. Thats just a fact no matter how careful you are. So synthetic rope it will be. This also reduces weight. My front springs are the heavier load springs for just this purpose. To mount a winch up front.

With the front winch design out of the way I wanted to see if I could mount my big 15,000 Military Warn winch off the back in the same type of configuration. This will allow me to get out of an area when forward progress is not a viable option any longer. Since this truck is my personal expedition rig and I will most likely be on my own I wanted that option. It looks like I can have both winches. Stay tuned for pics as I progress with this next phase in the build.

Outback

Explorer
I just finished up designing my front winch mount. I built each piece out of card board and have all of the dimensions. I will take these to my local Metal Fabrication shop and have them cut and bend each piece to my specs. The mount will be held in by ten 5/8" diameter grade 8 bolts. the winch will be secured to the mount with the stock Warn hardware as well as the failead. It should be a very stout winch mount with 5 mounting points on each frame rail. I will head to the metal shop first thing in the morning. Its Miller Time.

Outback

Explorer
121.jpg122.jpg

As you can see the winch blocks to much airflow. The 6K winch was better for airflow but a call to Warn said it really was a 6K rated winch that they used on the first HMMWV. So she was no longer an option. The 15K was just TO BIG.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Or you could build a removable winch set-up with a piece of receiver iron like you have for your rear hitch drop...:ylsmoke:

Outback

Explorer
Or you could build a removable winch set-up with a piece of receiver iron like you have for your rear hitch drop...:ylsmoke:

That was definately a considerartion as I have seen a few set ups like that. I feel my design will lend to a much cleaner look in the end.

Outback

Explorer
I droped off my templates yesterday and was informed it would take 1 to 2 weeks for them to cut out all of the parts on a water jet. Not exactly what I was hoping for but none the less it is what it is.

While those are being fabbed its on to my next planned project for the rig. I have an older Caravan Camper Shell I had taken off of the truck I bought for my son years ago. Its for a diffrent year Chevy truck but feel I can make her work. I will drive up to Nevada later on next week to pick her up if time permits. Its about a 10 hour drive each way but will be worth the effort as I will be closer to my finished Expedition Rig, if you can trully ever call them finished.

P3280001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier