Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

Maybe change any old hardware to new high grade stainless.

Sure thing there! I'll do all new hardware all around, anything that comes out, goes in new at this point. Altough I will say, my weekly freshwater underbody rinse and the occassional WD40 underbody bath has helped tremendesly; My hardware looks pretty good under there at the control arms so I am hoping it will come out easy with air tools.

Either way, new hardware will go in as it is a cheap enough cost over the life of the new arms.

Hatch and Tailgate Manual Release

My rear hatch has been stuck for about two weeks and the last few days have been about getting all of the little things done before I get the AB suspension parts order in.

Today I decided it was time to fix the hatch in a more permanent fashion! I've seen many of the tailgate manual releases and intended to use the recliner mod, however, since I have tons of motorcycle cables laying around, I figured this was the next best option.

The elbow on the OEM latch cable is unsupported and a weak point. No matter how many times it's replaced, it is only time before it fails again. This time, I decided to support it with a little aviation grade lockwire from both ends to alleviate any motion on the cable in the fitting. I then took a throttle cable, cut one end off and swaged locked it to what I needed in length. Zip-tied and routed it under the actuator and routed it to the top of the tail-gate for easy access from inside. The plan is for a sleeping platform so I ensure the cable is up high enough that it will never interfere or be hidden under the platform where I can't reach it. Added a swage lock to the cable end loop and key ring for my lady's fingers so its easy for her to open.

Safety-wired cable end (top and bottom side)
IMG_4430.jpg
IMG_1337.jpg

Final assembly with swaged loop for manual release.
IMG_0411.jpg

Final installation
IMG_5198.jpg
IMG_4545.jpg

Project #2: A/C temps differ from Driver/Passenger.

When your driver and passenger temps differentiate and it's not from your AC 134a charge, this is what you have to look forward to!

Gaining access to all of the blend doors and wiring! I wish this on nobody!

51746559451__C5EB9530-2C8A-42EF-9959-928ECC126A9E.jpg

51746094281__74F40E40-F5C4-4B3D-9257-963316B60B03.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

Blend Door and Climate Control Duct Cleaning

Today was a success. I was able to reach (just barely) all of the blend door motors and verify they are working correctly. The GAP tool verified the Climate Control was working, but that doesn't mean they are moving full swing. I believe my passenger side climate door was stuck or sticking. I pulled the pollen filter and started cleaning in every way possible I could think of. Bottom line, spray, wipe, wingle, move, touch, adjust, and throw some chicken bones and all is good.

I also went through a full coolant bleed just to be sure. There is a possibility while I was doing that and cleaning at the same time, that I had an air lock in the heater core. I'm not 100% sure what fixed it, but she's tip top shape now and I'm loving it.

I finished up that project with a new charge of 134a in the AC and she's blowing super icy cold and back to the way she used to be.

Last edited:
Prepping for the Sleeping Platform Build

I started prepping for measurements of the sleeping platform. I came across a Disco 3 with an AT kit on Google Images a long time back with the fridge incorporated in the platform, and that is the plan I am going for. I am keeping one 2nd-row seat that can be unfolded in the event I need to carry a passenger. Victory is making the transformation to a two person overland rig.

Here is the stripped down configuration. It's a start!
Victory_Stripped_Cargo2.jpg

I plan to take the 3rd-row area carpet out and leave the second row/forward as the carpet is one piece from the driver's compartment to the rear hump. The carpet seam follows the hump dropping down into the 2nd-row seating floor area so its a great place to transition although I have not decided entirely on removing or covering the 2nd-row carpet area just yet. Any place that carpet comes out, Dynamat sound material will go in. Please disregard the sand, trail dirt, and shrubbery as I have not vacuumed just yet.
Disco3_4_CargoCarpet.jpg

Finally, I took the liberty to weigh the seats and hardware that I removed; I hope it helps anyone looking at weight saving options. Keep in mind, one 2nd row passenger outboard seat remains.

Total weight removed: 215lbs

Each weight below is PER SEAT! 3rd Row is one assembly and quite flimsy when unbolted from the floor. Be careful not to bend the brackets when it's taken out. I recommend two people to keep it from folding at the main bracket which will surely ruin it.

2nd Row CENTER Seat: 57lbs per seat
Disco3_4_Center Seat.jpg

2nd Row PASSENGER OUTBOARD Seat: 52lbs per seat
Disco3_4_2ndRowOutside.jpg

3rd Row FOLD-DOWN Seats: 96lbs per set
3rd Row Brackets/Carpet Kit/Hardware: est 10lbs
Disco3_4_3rdRow.jpg
Disco3_4_3rdRowKit.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Eric, you are the man! Keep posting pics and data! You are doing what I dreamed of with the AT overland kit!

Now take all the underseat electrics and Put them in waterproof enclosures! ;)

Yes Connor, the goal is a three door 110! I have to move back to the mainland first before that search starts. Unless i find a steal and someone wants to house it for me cuz i'm not shipping it twice! lol

I may have a place for one... but only if you let me tinker with it and fix things. I cannot control myself at all, you're OK with a Sandglow paintjob right? :)

Last edited:
Dude, If I could afford one now, I would do it. And I always say "I love any color as long as it's Land Rover!" This is why I decided to just follow my plans now with the Disco3 and make it the best rig I can since it has been paid off for a long, long, long time and soon it won't be a daily driver anymore. I have a Tesla payment coming up soon, so I won't be doing a Defender 3 door until the mainland unless the price is irresistible.

I won't be doing an AT kit, just building my own like an AT kit. I can't justify a few thousand dollars of drawers in my rig; as much as I like AT, no chance I'm paying that kind of price. Plus I think I have what it takes to design and manufacture a full custom set up which is much better in the long run.

I do plan to pull the carpet up and get as much of the wiring off the floor as possible. Even if I can get it running up through the sleeping platform 6-8 inches off the floor or fully waterproofed in the event, I take an unplanned swim. It'll never be intended to get wet, just provide a few more levels of security if possible. I do not see moving the boxes as being an issue as there are only a few under the seat and center console. If I can get everything off the floor and about shift lever/trans tunnel height, that would be a good insurance plan IMO in case the doors leak. I'm not looking to make a canoe, just plan in some extra insurance if possible!

I've been thinking of center console plans now that I have mine removed and have been driving around all day looking like I stole it. "To be Continued" on the console reinstall.

Victory_CenterConsole.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Best to sit and wait anyway. More and more amazing Tdi trucks are popping up here. :)

Since you're in the area, you may want to look at drilling drains into the front footwells, it took me forever with a pump and prying the carpet up to get all that water out of the area and otherwise it will not drain by itself (why, LR?), just sits for months under the carpet... If I had drains then I would have parked nose down on a slight hill and boom. Dry car in a few days. I love the sleeping platform/AT thing idea. Did you find a material like that plastic stuff? or good old plywood? How cool would it be to fit a tuffy box in that D3!? :)

Connor,

Good idea on looking into drilling drain holes and plugs. If I pull the front carpet completely out, I will surely do it. Of note, the seat bolt holes are definetely drain holes if left out. I have my back seat bolts out and I can hear and feel air flowing through them when I drive. I plan to seal them up when I put them back down after I plan out the custom brackets for the internal water tank, fridge, and sleeping platform mounts.

17" LR Factory Wheels on the Way

A special thanks to A.J.M. for gathering up my wheels and setting up UPS global shipping from the vacinity of Glasgow, Scotland to Kailua, Hawaii, U.S.A. The 5 x wheels are on the way and should be here next week. And so it begins!............

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

RoyJ

Adventurer
Just want to say I LOVE your build and the desire to keep the weight down while increasing interior space.

I'm doing almost the exact build with my 4th gen Explorer (which is very similar to the LR3/LR4). I've also removed the 3rd row, and plan on leaving 1 seat in the 2nd row, and building the platform to be flush with that seat.

Keep it up :bigok:

RoyJ, sorry for the late response, I've been international and now on the West Coast in SoCal for the next few months. I appreciate your following. I am learning from everyone else on here and putting it together my own way in hopes I can help others as I have been so nicely assisted on here.

If you are planning on doing seat/sleeping platform mods, I suggest looking into a fridge install first so you can build the platfrom around the second row fridge install. I have no idea how its done on an Explorer but I'm sure its similar. This is what my project is based off (Pict Attached) notice the fridge access second row from the front seats and flush with the sleeping platform. Best set up I've seen so far so I'm going this route, although different in many ways, the general idea is right here.

8266ead0da1d956bdc06621faf0af266--truck-bed-storage-vehicle-storage.jpg

Keep following, lots to come in the coming weeks now that Victory is off the boat and in SoCal.

Cheers,

E

Just want to say I LOVE your build and the desire to keep the weight down while increasing interior space.

I'm doing almost the exact build with my 4th gen Explorer (which is very similar to the LR3/LR4). I've also removed the 3rd row, and plan on leaving 1 seat in the 2nd row, and building the platform to be flush with that seat.

Keep it up :bigok:

Last edited:
Back on the Grid!

Aloha fellow ExpoNuts!

I'm back from my little overseas work trip and Victory and I have arrived in SoCal where the adventure begins. I am pretty busy these next few days with a quick trip to San Jose for my lady's job search and then back down to San Diego early next week to start the suspension refresh and 17" wheel install on Victory. Thank god I have a garage again.....hahaha :wings:

If all goes well, I'm going to try and get back up to NorCal on some of those epic adventures Zelatore and DiscoDavis have been so graciously poking me about.

I can't wait to get caught up on all the Expo threads I've been missing out on.

Cheers,

E

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior