Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

harbinger808

Adventurer
I have a 2012 LR4 with the "higher" end leather. We have the stock LR covers and the only reason we them is because of our 3 yr and 6 month old. Saves a lot of time cleaning and in all honesty our covers feel much better on our body in the AZ heat. One day I'll be able to upgrade to what Victory_Overland has. Seen those a lot in South Africa that were old and worn but still holding together strong!

Those are great looking covers but leather is remarkably tough and can be refinished in an afternoon.. I see lots of LR3 owners do this and just wanted to hear you guy's thoughts on the topic(without taking over this great build thread).

dsm02c

Adventurer
our covers feel much better on our body in the AZ heat.

Do they? Not having vent seats in these trucks is a bummer... Been wondering if there is something I can do about the heat from the seats on long drives... Full set of covers us only $519 plus freight...

Those are great looking covers but leather is remarkably tough and can be refinished in an afternoon.. I see lots of LR3 owners do this and just wanted to hear you guy's thoughts on the topic(without taking over this great build thread).

There's an entire thread on seat covers for LR3/4 that I am sure you have seen. Good info all around on preferences and discussions on the cover/no cover options. In Hawaii, leather is not the best option since we have no ventilated seats and sand scratches the hell out of the leather. It's the best option and preferred options in my rig to put the covers down to cool the interior and my ***** when I sit on the seat..hahha I didn't really cover the seats because of durability, I covered them with M&M covers because I wanted seat covers for my daily uses of the vehicle and only wanted to buy them once. M&M just happen to be the covers that have reviews of the most proven durability so the cost was outweighed by quality. I hope time will tell but I am more than confident I'll be happy with them for years to come.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/157134-D3-LR3-seat-covers

I have a 2012 LR4 with the "higher" end leather. We have the stock LR covers and the only reason we them is because of our 3 yr and 6 month old. Saves a lot of time cleaning and in all honesty our covers feel much better on our body in the AZ heat. One day I'll be able to upgrade to what Victory_Overland has. Seen those a lot in South Africa that were old and worn but still holding together strong!

I agree. Hawaii is not even close to the blistering heat of AZ but I can assure you that seat covers reduce interior heat and that of your bum when you sit on them. I love the leather in the Landies, but I have sand and mud inside my truck daily and covers are the way to go for this guy.

Last edited:
I am very interested to see how the centre console cover works/mounts

Very nice touches in the packaging.

I've been working like crazy so haven't had much time for anything this past week or so. I did however park Victory for a few days for the Leatherique seat "Rejuvenator" and "Pristine Clean" cleaning process. That stuff is a mess to deal with but WOW :Wow1:, what a difference. I drove it today after the full application and cleaning process and my seats feel amazing and look pretty much brand new. I think when I get the time, I'll flip up the back seats and rejuvenate them as well to soften them up before I flip them back down again. I've read that Leatherique is recommended by Jaquar. Every 6 months to 1 year leather seats are recommended to be conditioned so maybe I'll add this to the maintenance schedule. This is a perfect time for me to slap the Melvill and Moon covers on tonight. Standby for the initial review.

Last edited:

harbinger808

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing your M&M covers installed!

As a side note, I just bought an Alu-cab Shadow Awning and my ProspeedUK awning brackets just arrived and both will be installed tomorrow. Really wish I was still on Oahu cause this is the prefect setup I needed when I was surfing and my wife and monkey sat at Diamondhead lookout from up top by the goat path :)

Looking forward to seeing your M&M covers installed!

As a side note, I just bought an Alu-cab Shadow Awning and my ProspeedUK awning brackets just arrived and both will be installed tomorrow. Really wish I was still on Oahu cause this is the prefect setup I needed when I was surfing and my wife and monkey sat at Diamondhead lookout from up top by the goat path :)

Dude, where did you get the Alu-Cab shadow from? Can you PM me the link cuz I want that awning badly.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Got lucky at the Overland Expo West... OK4WD had 2 with them for sale :) They are the dealer for Alu-cab and its on their website... they have free shipping but I doubt to HI (another thing I don't miss about home). Give Rin a call on their page. Great guy and very helpful!
I was debating between the Alu-cab and the Bundutec but ultimately decided on the Alu-cab for the actual shape of the awning and its ability to add the walls later with their kit. The Bunduawn definitely provides more square footage of shade but their awning walls would leave a lot more "gaps" between the awning/awning walls and the LR4 itself.
The Alu-cab had the cleaner overall "fit" although much more pricey. That alone was the deciding factor for my wife and I. Really glad we went to the Expo since it's so much easier to actually see all these things in person and actually operate them for form and function. Fingers crossed that Sierra Expeditions can mount it tomorrow morning and I'll post pics for you once it's home.

http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-vendor/alucab/alu-cab-shadow-awning

http://www.bundutecusa.com/bunduawn.html

Dude, where did you get the Alu-Cab shadow from? Can you PM me the link cuz I want that awning badly.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Awning mounted ok and fit was great... BUT, didn't realize that the Shadow Awning needs support at the rear hinge point. The Prospeed roof rack needs to have something fabricated or some ingenious mounts made that are floating out there in the overland world. The C-channel that the awning is incased in started bending fro the stress of no support :(
No pics yet until I can figure this debacle.

Got lucky at the Overland Expo West... OK4WD had 2 with them for sale :) They are the dealer for Alu-cab and its on their website... they have free shipping but I doubt to HI (another thing I don't miss about home). Give Rin a call on their page. Great guy and very helpful!
I was debating between the Alu-cab and the Bundutec but ultimately decided on the Alu-cab for the actual shape of the awning and its ability to add the walls later with their kit. The Bunduawn definitely provides more square footage of shade but their awning walls would leave a lot more "gaps" between the awning/awning walls and the LR4 itself.
The Alu-cab had the cleaner overall "fit" although much more pricey. That alone was the deciding factor for my wife and I. Really glad we went to the Expo since it's so much easier to actually see all these things in person and actually operate them for form and function. Fingers crossed that Sierra Expeditions can mount it tomorrow morning and I'll post pics for you once it's home.

http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-vendor/alucab/alu-cab-shadow-awning

http://www.bundutecusa.com/bunduawn.html

Thanks for the link and I'll surely check them out and see about shipping here to Hawaii. Have you started your won build threat yet? You should since you have some great kit, we all want to see it.

Melvill & Moon Covers installed.

I finally got around to installing the Melvill & Moon seat covers. Absolutely excellent fit. I had to remove the armrest (one plastic cap and torque bit bolt) and center console for the install. They fit super tight so be prepared for a fight but the overall results are well worth it.

Install is pretty easy and self explanatory and the look is EXACTLY what I expected and wanted out of these covers. I am a bit disappointed in the center console securing points but it's my OCD kicking in for perfection. Overall it does what it needs to and protects the center console leather; I guess considering how fantastic the seat covers are in design, fit and function I was able to find a minor thing I would change if I was king......:smiley_drive:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE COVERS!

IMG_9255 (1).jpg
IMG_9256.jpg

Pictures from camping this weekend

Here is are a few pictures of the set up while camping this weekend. Bellows Beach, Waimanalo, Oahu, Hawaii!

IMG_9282.jpg
IMG_9285.jpg
IMG_9303.jpg
Sunrise on the beach from the RTT viewpoint!
IMG_9288.JPG

A.J.M

Explorer
Looking good.

How do you find the front runner rack for noise etc?
Fancy a change of my expo rack and the slim line 2 is appealing.
That and my mate can get me a new one with nearly 20% discount...

Looking good.

How do you find the front runner rack for noise etc?
Fancy a change of my expo rack and the slim line 2 is appealing.
That and my mate can get me a new one with nearly 20% discount...

For me, the FR was the only option. I wanted pure utility form and function and IMO it is the best all around for weight, corrosion resistance and utility options. It's suits every one of my needs and I absolutely love it.

Noise is noise. It's not too bad IMO and if you are planning to put some rack on your roof, the trade off for utility use far outweighs the noise. Speeds hit 70mph Max here on Oahu so not sure how bad above that it would be but I can surely hear it up there and feel it as well at highway speeds. Low speed, I don't hear it really but I'm probably just used to it.

Once I go snorkel kit, I'm sure I'll admit complete defeat on noise abatement but I always say I'll never sacrifice looks and function for comfort!

Gas mileage is gonna hurt you. I dropped about 1-2 consistently with the rack installed. Some more or less depending on speed when it's empty.

Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles