Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

TOUGE

Just measured 2 of my packs both are 2-3mm bigger in every direction external and external. I'm an Australian living in LA so still learning to use freedom units haha.

I will go take some photos once this rain slows down.

When stacked they lock together very well, you have to lift the tops ones off, no sliding the bottom ones out. In the car they don't become unstacked even off road with out being tied down. Strong enough to be used as a seat or to stand on getting stuff on/off roofracks.

Ray_G

Explorer
I would go with option 2 just because there may be times when you are on an angle, need something (tool/recovery gear) and don’t want the whole drawer coming out at you to then have to push it back in.

Will be a little more work, but if the Wolfpack’s fit in addition to something like some Blue Ridge Overland or some Springtail solutions bags can tuck on the back as depicted I think you’d have an excellent setup.
R-
Ray

Just measured 2 of my packs both are 2-3mm bigger in every direction external and external. I'm an Australian living in LA so still learning to use freedom units haha.

I will go take some photos once this rain slows down.

When stacked they lock together very well, you have to lift the tops ones off, no sliding the bottom ones out. In the car they don't become unstacked even off road with out being tied down. Strong enough to be used as a seat or to stand on getting stuff on/off roofracks.
Thanks @TOUGE; thinking about ordering two of each (Wolf/Cub) from Amazon and worst case I can free return if needed to get the full compliment on the ones I need for the entire build. I would not be stacking other than in the garage; the vehicle configuration would surely be side by side with a strap over the top. I mean if I need to stack in the vehicle for some reason, this does seem ideal to ensure nothing slides around so great info. Also helps for stacking at the camp site but my concern is weather proofing and sitting outside which is why I am considering dropping some cash on the Zarges aluminums; buy once, hurt once, enjoy for life.....lol

Keep up with those "Freedom Measurements"; I work international with metric and always have to pause and compute in my brain the conversions like an idiot and you would think by now I would have metric figured out but NOPE!......lol. FYI, we have partners in Melbourne and can't wait to get back down there once travel opens up.

I would go with option 2 just because there may be times when you are on an angle, need something (tool/recovery gear) and don’t want the whole drawer coming out at you to then have to push it back in.

Will be a little more work, but if the Wolfpack’s fit in addition to something like some Blue Ridge Overland or some Springtail solutions bags can tuck on the back as depicted I think you’d have an excellent setup.
R-
Ray
Agreed........my thoughts exactly. I am not sure yet what I would put in those pouches but their "quick-er-ish" access outside and not needing to pull the slide out and open boxes makes the bags a desirable option. I would most likely plasma table a molle type panel to screw onto the slider face or just use 3M HD Velcro on the face/bags. Leave the center open for a lock/latch or just stick with the slider lever latches if I go that route.

Ray_G

Explorer
The Velcro route is a good one for any of the bags I noted (or any of the amazon collection of MOLLE tear-away style pouches).

Ordering a yard or two of black (or whatever color) loop side Velcro isn’t expensive and provides a good looking base to the back. For extra security just add some straps with fastex buckles and you are in business. Something I have done all over my trucks where MOLLE would be great but I didn’t feel like buying/making a panel for that specific setup.

That said, check the dimensions on Springtail, they have a lot of interesting setups. There is always Gray Man Tactical too but those are $. For good reason, but still, with Velcro and straps you really don’t need to the MOLLE.

As far as what to put into them, depends on the rest of the truck but what we have found is those things that you want to get to relatively quickly-like a coffee setup (jetboil), bug spray, or things for the truck like recovery gear (tree strap, soft shackles, pully block), etc.

R-
Ray

Great advice........I like it. Yeah would be a bad idea to just go with a tight loop carpet back too and then use the industrial hook on the pouches cuz we know that sticks to anything like that.

Molle is nice to hook up with ease but nothing quick about disconnect; velcro is fast and easy all around for initial and reconfiguring and grab and go type stuff. I think I made my mind up on that part.

FYI, I am in the works of designing aluminum gull-wing windows for the 3rd row rears on the LR3/4. I am starting with one side and will have an aluminum cut out and OEM commercial variant style for Phase I testing. I'll be looking for people who have the balls to remove their windows as well for crowd-sourcing reviews. wink wink, hint hint.

Ray_G

Explorer
Start with the driver’s side on a LHD truck....will be very interested to see the price point there!

Thats the plan; LHD side first. Depending on this first mock-up goes, the access might be from the outside and inside. Weather sealing on the gull-wing door is going to be the biggest challenge. Gotta finish the slider first and then work my way to the overhead storage tray.

purseon

Great advice........I like it. Yeah would be a bad idea to just go with a tight loop carpet back too and then use the industrial hook on the pouches cuz we know that sticks to anything like that.

Molle is nice to hook up with ease but nothing quick about disconnect; velcro is fast and easy all around for initial and reconfiguring and grab and go type stuff. I think I made my mind up on that part.

FYI, I am in the works of designing aluminum gull-wing windows for the 3rd row rears on the LR3/4. I am starting with one side and will have an aluminum cut out and OEM commercial variant style for Phase I testing. I'll be looking for people who have the balls to remove their windows as well for crowd-sourcing reviews. wink wink, hint hint.
Did you make the full wing rear windows yet? Was thinking about that myself.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term Wo...
by Rolf Potts
From $14.29
The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United Stat...
by TeriAnn Wakeman
From $64.95
The Longest Line on the Map: The United States, the Pan-A...
by Eric Rutkow
From $13.39
Tschiffely's Ride: Ten Thousand Miles in the Saddle from ...
by Aimé Tschiffely
From $10.99