Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

when I took out the third row seats to install FR drawer system I could not give them away, good luck with your sale.
yeah I’m not opposed to decent offers. If not I’ll turn it into a garage seat. Lol. I’ve seen peeps in the past wanting them but think more people see the benefit of the utility side now without them

Roughly 80 lbs I think
I couldn’t believe how heavy it was to be honest; back in my thread the exact weight is in there but DAMN Gina, is LR using tungsten steel for the frames!?!?? I got some of that TR bumper and full size MT mud spare weight back by ditching that and a ton of other weight in the cargo/seat areas.

The rear swing-out is 95% complete. We have some final welding to do on some of the swing-out locking pin tabs but for now I'll leave them tack welded to ensure I want to keep the final open and closed positions where they currently are. In addition, the latches are not completely covered and I will have a bash plate installed over latches once I get about a month of daily use. I have adjustable rubber bumpers and gas struts to install for rattle control before I pull the bumper back off for powder coat although the design came out perfectly in aspects to anti-rattle and I'm super stoked with the initial reviews. The plan is to run the bumper WD-40'd up (rust control) for the next month to ensure any adjustments or design changes are finalized before I send the bumper and swing-out out for PC.

View looking at the latching area of the dual-swingout. The latches are not visible from the rear of the truck but easily accessible. The hole is for a trail locking mechanism we are working on. Right now we are using a bolt for clamp up as a security device in the event the latches were to fail on the trail keeping the arms from opening inadvertently. The "Trail Latch" will only be used for off-road excursion where high-stress environments come into play; the current system has two latching positions per side that will keep it from opening under normal daily-use. Prior to PC, I will install a bash plate over the latches that will be flush with the bumper so there is no risk to damaging the latches when the arms are open.
IMG_8693.JPG

Latching mechanisms between the swing outs and tailgate. I am installing two extended lever arms on that allow both sides to be open simultaneously with one hand.;)
IMG_2992.JPG

Swing-out arm latches. There are two positions; the first position is 90deg open which works automatically on the cam. If I want to swing the arms out to about 120deg, I manually lift the pin and swing them open to the last position. These latch brackets are removable so I can remove the swing-out arms from the bumper.
IMG_9445.JPG

Passenger side Spare Carrier minus the studs. I plan to run dual length longer studs which will allow the studs to be used with hollow lug nuts providing additional mounting of optional devices on both sides of the spare. Additionally, the Hi-Lift carrier will be fabricated on the tire carrier frame; the design for he Hi-Lift carrier is in work.
IMG_0564.JPG

Driver's Side Swing-Out; custom frame, off the shelf PowerTank Propane Carrier and CBI (Yota-stuff) Dual-Scepter Carrier.
IMG_8695.JPG
IMG_7285.JPG

IMG_4093.JPGIMG_2391.jpg

Final Installation with the proposed Hi-Lift mount location.
IMG_2385.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the profile views.
IMG_4027.JPGIMG_0444.JPG

Single hand latching unlocks both sides at the same time; gas struts will swing both arms out to the 90deg automatic locking position as seen here.
IMG_7777.JPG

Both sides are the same width dimensions as the mirrors for parking lot considerations.
IMG_5338.JPGIMG_9392.JPG

Secondary opening position for camp grounds and those times I feel like I want something hard to walk into at night......:LOL::ROFLMAO: I will be installing two flip down tables; one per side and most likely stainless or aluminum for work/cooking surfaces.
IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2409.jpg

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotlan...
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $1.65
Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide route and planning guide...
by Chris Scott
From $21.04
Lone Rider
by speth Beard
From $19.95
4WD Driving Skills: A Manual for On- and Off-Road Travel
by Vic Widman
From $17.27

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
The swing aways look amazing. T4x4 for should take a lesson and ditch the Home harbor freight hardware for your design. The junk they call a latch and sell for 2k+ should be embarrassing, it was a total disappointment.

gbarba

That looks awesome – the propane tank storage on top was a great addition too! I'll be interested to see how the side tables turn out as I've been thinking about something similar for mine.

Do you plan to incorporate any sort of lighting for your license plate?

The swing aways look amazing. T4x4 for should take a lesson and ditch the Home harbor freight hardware for your design. The junk they call a latch and sell for 2k+ should be embarrassing, it was a total disappointment.
Thanks; its been a napkin design for a while and I am incorporating ideas to use common off the shelf items and we are considering reproduction once I get the bugs worked out.

I couldn't agree more; I was not happy with the TR swing out in the slightest. The TR bumpers are absolutely amazing IMO but the single swing out I had just seemed like an afterthought.

That looks awesome – the propane tank storage on top was a great addition too! I'll be interested to see how the side tables turn out as I've been thinking about something similar for mine.

Do you plan to incorporate any sort of lighting for your license plate?
Thanks for the comments; I am considering off the shelf tables and then I will just build the mounts that accept the tables to fit up to my bumper. I guess it just depends on the time available as I have the skills and access to build them but my time costs me money too so it might be worth designing for options of bolt on kit that already works.

I am currently wiring up a splice connector that will tap into the trailer harness under the bumper and therefore repeat the tail lights/brakes/turns. Each side will get one and it will run through the individual swing-arms and allow for additional Baja style lighting, whip/flag lighting for the dunes, and license plate lighting; right now I'll take my chances on the plate light ticket because I want to get the harness correct w/routing.

Last edited:

JeepColorado

Here are the profile views.
View attachment 565400View attachment 565401

Single hand latching unlocks both sides at the same time; gas struts will swing both arms out to the 90deg automatic locking position as seen here.
View attachment 565406

Both sides are the same width dimensions as the mirrors for parking lot considerations.
View attachment 565403View attachment 565404

Secondary opening position for camp grounds and those times I feel like I want something hard to walk into at night......:LOL::ROFLMAO: I will be installing two flip down tables; one per side and most likely stainless or aluminum for work/cooking surfaces.
View attachment 565405

View attachment 565409

That's really incredible to have the ability to do that- awesome work. Looks great!

Thanks for the comments everyone; hoping to have some minor adjustments fixed within the next two weeks so I can get it off to powdercoat.

I'll post up the gas strut install and the Hi-Lift mount when I get a chance. I also found I need to reinforce my pin lock mounts as I forgot that I need to lift them to close the swing-outs and bent the hell out of one....oops; learning curve.

Since its been raining and COVID closures here in SoCal, I have not had much progress on the finishing of the rear swing-out; just add WD-40 and ride it out so I can complete it and out for PC eventually.

On that note, I have been shopping and updating my camping and kitchen equipment and the lull has me designing my under sleeping platform arrangements while I continue to peg away on Dual Battery and Solar set-up.

Regardless, I am considering Zarges boxes, Alu-Box ($$$$), or Wolf/Cub packs to design around my under platform storage over the idea of dedicated drawers. My theory is if I have drawers, they will get loaded, stay loaded, and most likely less organized; pluses and minuses of either design but I feel that drawers will maintain whatever I put in there all the time where individual boxes allow for some things to stay and others to go per my needs.

Therefore, if I make one sliding platform that comes all the way out and then have access to the boxes, maybe a row or two of equal size boxes on each side (4 total if not more) with a center divider then I can pack out my boxes, store them in one spot in the garage (Like @Ray_G); I already do this! Then I am able to just drop the boxes on the sliding platform and access when needed. The boxes will be positioned to allow for swing open covers or completely removed covers; their orientation is on the platform so access to all boxes is possible depending on how far out I pull the slider. Ultimately, the boxes will take place of the dedicated drawers freeing up configuration options, weight, and more storage room/cargo room when not fully configured. By my measurements, my folding electric bike I bought for the plane trips just might fit under there on the slider.

So long story short; I love getting advice and other opinions from you on the site. Any Pro/Cons or significant issues you may see with this potential design, please let me know.

Hokey little quick drawings right here with boxes on two sides only. Might run a small T-Channel divider down the middle for rigidity as well as having a center tie-down point; maybe even go with a recessed L-Track on the side rails and center floor instead of the T-Channel divider. All overland boxes would be generally the same size and likely design the slider around the type of boxes I would use. Internal dividers inside the boxes would allow for organization and separation of different types of kit. I've considered the squareness and cost effectiveness for the Wolf/Cub Packs for most of my gear but might want a few Zarges aluminum boxes that can stay out overnight with the kitchen kit; sometimes I am pretty remote and nobody is around so not a security issue but legality for bear places and such. I have plenty of Pelicans (Zergas are 1/2 the cost) that I use for the toss around kit and on the roof if needed. Attempting to keep the internal boxes as light and squared off as possible.

Fire away.......no question I have time on my hands now for this to plan it right!

Option #1: Simple slider and boxes for storage and organization.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 2.36.27 PM.png

Option #2: A bit more complicated, smaller slider with room for bags or tool mounting on the slider face.

Option #2 would have a higher, flush mount slider face wall that slides further in and would allow for storage bags or tool mounting on the face . Under the back lip; if I run the drawer all the way to the vertical supports, I have roughly 4" of space between the tailgate and the front slider wall giving room for mounting solutions of Molle type storage bags, tools, etc. I would sacrifice a bit of slider space for this option, but depending on the box size this option might be suitable. Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 3.16.26 PM.png

What Option #2 would look like closed. The tan shapes represent Molle type canvas storage bags or something similar. If you can look closely I made the slider face transparent so you can see the storage boxes behind and also illustrates the roughly 4" of overlap space under the sleeping platform to hang bags or tools on.
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 3.10.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

Drive Nacho Drive: A Journey from the American Dream to t...
by Brad Van Orden, Sheena Van Orden
From $15.95
Tortillas to Totems (Every day an Adventure Book 4)
by Sam Manicom
From $9.99
Tschiffely's Ride: Ten Thousand Miles in the Saddle from ...
by Aimé Tschiffely
From $10.99
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

TOUGE

I generally carry 4 Wolf packs, camp gear, tools, food, cooking gear. Tools and camp gear always live in the car because I live in a tiny apartment in LA and don't really have room to stack everything in a corner. I have a ARB small drawer/slider on the left with a Dometic CFX-40 fridge on top of it and the Wolf packs stack on the right.

2 wolf packs fit perfectly width ways across the tailgate and even though you don't use your middle row, 2 will fit length ways from back of the middle seat folded down to tailgate.

I can take some photos of them in different orientations tomorrow if you would like so it's easier for you to visualize.

Also is that the 2000 ARB awning? I cant decided weather to go the 2000 or 2500.

@TOUGE anything helps. Per the dimensions no the FR site, are the outside dimensions pretty close to advertised; sometimes dimensions are all over the place on where they measure a case. On that note, knowing the dimensions are exact to advertised, I can then make an assessment on which boxes to order. Honestly, for about $100, I can get 4 Wolf or Cub Packs and I am sure I can find use them them even if they do not ride in the truck all the time.