Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

Nice, what are your plans for water?

I plan to build a tray and use a dual valve through the floorboard drain for potential spill. Gonna be a while before that happens but I'll try and get the biggest fresh water tank where the 2nd row passenger seat used to be and it will be for fresh water and shower all in one. Outside of the tray/pan I make or able to buy, everything will be common off the shelf purchases with a marine water pump and blah blah.

Finally put the cubby door in over the 2nd row passenger seat that stays in and folded down. Still have to add the bottom and silicon seal it but you see the concept; extra 2.5 sqft of cubby storage. Someday I might go buy a recess router bit and flush mount it but to be honest, the sleeping mattress doesn't now the difference when its laid out on top.

IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg

Another piece of kit showed up for the new dual swing-out I am fabbing up for my TR bumper! Still waiting on the propane tank and wheel studs to show up for the spare wheel mounts. Bought this dual Scepter from CBI; yeah, I know, Toyota kit but these guys makes some nice ****** stuff and I'm all about building modular kit that reputable off-the-shelf parts are able to bolt onto.

IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg

*****PM/DIRECT MESSAGE FOR INTEREST ONLY*****

Putting some feelers out before I publish on the CLASSIFIEDS page but wanted to see if anyone is interested in the following items; hit me up direct on PM and we can discuss working out prices and link-up in SoCal. Have to move some of this stuff out of here cuz I am never putting Victory back to stock.......

All items will have to be West Coast pick-up unless you really want to pay the shipping costs.

2008 LR3:

1) JLR OEM LR3 Short 3/4 Roof Rails.
2) JLR OEM LR3 3rd Row Seat (TAN) w/brackets/carpet covers.
3) JLR OEM LR3 18" 10 Spoke Wheels w/Nitto Terra Grapplers (cupped pretty bad and plugged a few places but you could use them for a bit or I can remove them)
4) JLR OEM LR3 Side Skirts/Kick Plates (?), the plastic crap that is removed when sliders are installed...lol.
5) JLR OEM LR3 Center Console w/Tan leather/carpet trim (I installed a steel locker box).
6) JLR OEM LR3 Front & Rear Bumper Parking Sensor Harnesses w/Sensors.
7) WeatherTech Cargo MAT (Black)

8) *Maybe going to sell: JLR OEM LR3 Center 2nd Row Seat (Tan).

All parts are in USED Condition but I would say Excellent to Great Shape!

Again, PM me for interest ********COMMENTS WELCOME BUT PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A FOR SALE/I WANT THIS/OFFERS THREAD....!

Last edited:
Finally some progress on the dual swing-out.

Should be done next week; I'll drive it for a while and shake it out before it goes to powder coat in the event we need to make some modifications or adjustments.

IMG_1819.jpg

1000lb TMR pintles on each side with Timken bearings and race.
IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

The hole in the alignment plate will have a threaded nut welded on it for a locking T-Handle bolt that will go in for off-road use to ensure the latches can't release and to remove any possibility of vibration/movement.
IMG_1821.jpg

Disregard the alignment; the bearings are not installed in the pintles so everything is just set on there right now for visual. Also the striker latches are not installed at this moment until we put the support brackets on them permanently.
IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

Jwestpro

Explorer
Hey, before you finalize, consider this: When fussing around with some crap on mine couple yrs back I was trying to figure out a cool way to mount the High-lift back there ON one of the swing arms, laterally. Not standing up because then it would stick out past the roof and catch branches or garages, or whatever, plus laterally at the bumper level just helps with center of gravity.

It looked like I could pretty easily mount it (with welding) to the right hand swing.

Another idea was to have a couple sandwiched bridging ladders there between the hatch and spare tire. Having a 2nd fuel tank I don't care to use that space for jerry cans.

Just and idea and there are more of course, that could make that swing multi-purpose.

Hell yeah, I can't believe I didn't even think about my Hi-Lift; damn good catch. Shoot me a PM or a text with a chicken scratch design and I can get over this week and add it in there. I think I will have plenty of room. The Jerry's on the right are getting mounted there in a modular design that I can eventually remove the jerry can holder when I install the aux tank underneath the spare well. The plan is to have a plate of sorts on the left hand swing-out (Jerry side) that will allow for a number of components to directly connect to it as needed. The right side is spare only unless I find room for other stuff as it will still carry my Trasharoo and maybe an FR style tire ladder.

Curious to see your idea so send away; that includes anyone else with great ideas.

Posted these up on the CLASSIFIEDS Section. PM if any interest.

All in SoCal. Will to help with a meet up for a fellow club member as I did with the TR Swing-out. Can also coordinate pallet shipping if desired.

SOLD SOLD SOLD 1) LR3 18" 10 Spoke Wheels w/tires (Nitto Terra Grapplers 255 60/R18).

2) LR3 3rd Row Fold-Down Seat complete set in TAN
. $375 OBO
Excellent condition, no intent to every put this pack in. Hardware, covers, brackets, etc all included to convert your 5 seater to a 7 seater. Seats are folded and wrapped up for protection so I do not have pictures. Carpet and leather are in perfect condition! HEAVY! Stock Photo attached for reference.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
when I took out the third row seats to install FR drawer system I could not give them away, good luck with your sale.

yeah I’m not opposed to decent offers. If not I’ll turn it into a garage seat. Lol. I’ve seen peeps in the past wanting them but think more people see the benefit of the utility side now without them

Roughly 80 lbs I think

I couldn’t believe how heavy it was to be honest; back in my thread the exact weight is in there but DAMN Gina, is LR using tungsten steel for the frames!?!?? I got some of that TR bumper and full size MT mud spare weight back by ditching that and a ton of other weight in the cargo/seat areas.

The rear swing-out is 95% complete. We have some final welding to do on some of the swing-out locking pin tabs but for now I'll leave them tack welded to ensure I want to keep the final open and closed positions where they currently are. In addition, the latches are not completely covered and I will have a bash plate installed over latches once I get about a month of daily use. I have adjustable rubber bumpers and gas struts to install for rattle control before I pull the bumper back off for powder coat although the design came out perfectly in aspects to anti-rattle and I'm super stoked with the initial reviews. The plan is to run the bumper WD-40'd up (rust control) for the next month to ensure any adjustments or design changes are finalized before I send the bumper and swing-out out for PC.

View looking at the latching area of the dual-swingout. The latches are not visible from the rear of the truck but easily accessible. The hole is for a trail locking mechanism we are working on. Right now we are using a bolt for clamp up as a security device in the event the latches were to fail on the trail keeping the arms from opening inadvertently. The "Trail Latch" will only be used for off-road excursion where high-stress environments come into play; the current system has two latching positions per side that will keep it from opening under normal daily-use. Prior to PC, I will install a bash plate over the latches that will be flush with the bumper so there is no risk to damaging the latches when the arms are open.
IMG_8693.JPG

Latching mechanisms between the swing outs and tailgate. I am installing two extended lever arms on that allow both sides to be open simultaneously with one hand.;)
IMG_2992.JPG

Swing-out arm latches. There are two positions; the first position is 90deg open which works automatically on the cam. If I want to swing the arms out to about 120deg, I manually lift the pin and swing them open to the last position. These latch brackets are removable so I can remove the swing-out arms from the bumper.
IMG_9445.JPG

Passenger side Spare Carrier minus the studs. I plan to run dual length longer studs which will allow the studs to be used with hollow lug nuts providing additional mounting of optional devices on both sides of the spare. Additionally, the Hi-Lift carrier will be fabricated on the tire carrier frame; the design for he Hi-Lift carrier is in work.
IMG_0564.JPG

Driver's Side Swing-Out; custom frame, off the shelf PowerTank Propane Carrier and CBI (Yota-stuff) Dual-Scepter Carrier.
IMG_8695.JPG
IMG_7285.JPG

IMG_4093.JPGIMG_2391.jpg

Final Installation with the proposed Hi-Lift mount location.
IMG_2385.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the profile views.
IMG_4027.JPGIMG_0444.JPG

Single hand latching unlocks both sides at the same time; gas struts will swing both arms out to the 90deg automatic locking position as seen here.
IMG_7777.JPG

Both sides are the same width dimensions as the mirrors for parking lot considerations.
IMG_5338.JPGIMG_9392.JPG

Secondary opening position for camp grounds and those times I feel like I want something hard to walk into at night......:LOL::ROFLMAO: I will be installing two flip down tables; one per side and most likely stainless or aluminum for work/cooking surfaces.
IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2409.jpg

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
The swing aways look amazing. T4x4 for should take a lesson and ditch the Home harbor freight hardware for your design. The junk they call a latch and sell for 2k+ should be embarrassing, it was a total disappointment.

gbarba

That looks awesome – the propane tank storage on top was a great addition too! I'll be interested to see how the side tables turn out as I've been thinking about something similar for mine.

Do you plan to incorporate any sort of lighting for your license plate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles