Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Eric,

I like the idea of the voltmeters for each battery. Especially a manual disconnect between the two. Your wiring is as far as I see (I am NOT an electrician), sound.

May consider:
>using a little blue sea (or other) fuse box between the batteries and each gauge/plug set, at very least an inline fuse on each feed wire
>use a maxi or ANL fuse from battery feed to your fuse box
>use a maxi or ANL fuse for the battery to battery, OR battery to solenoid (switch) to battery connections.
>A manual switch AND a large solenoid to switch the batteries together for charging/winch purposes. This way you can either use a large marine cutoff (2-3 position switch, marine plastic key thing) directly for a large feed wire for safety or theft purposes (winch emergency stop, alternator, starter, idk), or use a small remote mounted switch to activate or disconnect the solenoid that lives closer to your batteries.
>Better to connect the neg terminals of each battery to a good chassis ground, so they each have their own dedicated ground wire.

My one ten has a system (much simpler) like yours with only one volt meter (on auxiliary battery), but when they are connected for driving it will show both as they are connected in parallel by the solenoid. When stopped all I care about is the house, but can put the key in and they will connect by solenoid and I get the average of the two (aux is an older weaker battery so I guestimate the main battery is always in slightly better shape).

if you add a fuse box, it will also give you a good set of grounds if you ground the box itself to chassis (saves you multiple wires v one big wire)

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Correct, I believe I corrected that somewhere along the line but you are correct on this. My plan will be to go to the primary for the winch if I ever do put on in as I plan the vehicle will be running during any type of winching.

Good catch though and I hope I clarified the intent if I go the winch route.
Recommend using your traxide kit or DIY to make your two batteries run in parallel as one big battery for driving/lighting/winching purposes. You can make it so that the two batteries are separate when you are stopped or camped and only need to run house items.

Installed the bezel and ran my main Traxide harness into the cab through the firewall yesterday. Things are slowly coming together as I piece the interior together and get ready to cut my sleeping platform and take the seats back out since Mom and Dad are gone!

Here is the bezel install, I picked up some cheap switch blank-off plates on Amazon for the interim use until more accessories are installed. I only have my "Primary" battery installed at the moment!

Amazon Switch Blank-off Plates

BATT Monitor Switch ON........KEY OFF! (12.9 volts)
IMG_7586.jpg

BATT Monitor Switch ON........KEY ON, Truck Running on the Alternator! (13.7 volts)
IMG_7584.jpg

MAX4433

Awning mounted ok and fit was great... BUT, didn't realize that the Shadow Awning needs support at the rear hinge point. The Prospeed roof rack needs to have something fabricated or some ingenious mounts made that are floating out there in the overland world. The C-channel that the awning is incased in started bending fro the stress of no support :(
No pics yet until I can figure this debacle.
Hi there, I'm thinking about doing the same thing, since I also have a prospeed rack. I have two of the prospeed awning mounts, and was wondering if you could mount that aluminum support bar they sell, to the prospeed mounts and let the aluminum bar overhang the rear about 18 to 20 inches and mount the shadow awning to that. Think that would be strong enough?

krick3tt

Adventurer
Letting things overshoot the back can be a problem but as long as the rear hatch, when lifted, doesn't conflict, all should be reasonably OK. Although, almost 2 feet might look a bit odd.

MAX4433

Awning mounted ok and fit was great... BUT, didn't realize that the Shadow Awning needs support at the rear hinge point. The Prospeed roof rack needs to have something fabricated or some ingenious mounts made that are floating out there in the overland world. The C-channel that the awning is incased in started bending fro the stress of no support :(
No pics yet until I can figure this debacle.
Do you think using the Alu-Cab aluminum bar mounted to the prospeed awning mounts, then mounting the Alu-Cab awning to the aluminum bar, and letting the bar overhang the rear mount by about 18 inches. Do you think that would be strong enough to support the awning in the back? I would be using the alu-cab bar as a stiffener to support the rear of the awning where it swings opens. Then you can still fold the prospeed mounts back to lay the awning on top of the rack, to give it better clearance on the side.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Do you think using the Alu-Cab aluminum bar mounted to the prospeed awning mounts, then mounting the Alu-Cab awning to the aluminum bar, and letting the bar overhang the rear mount by about 18 inches. Do you think that would be strong enough to support the awning in the back? I would be using the alu-cab bar as a stiffener to support the rear of the awning where it swings opens. Then you can still fold the prospeed mounts back to lay the awning on top of the rack, to give it better clearance on the side.
pm what you are thinking about doing. i too had 2 of the PS awning brackets. they could not hold the weight of the shadowawning. i think even if i had 4 or 5 of them they would still flex and snap off at the hinges. unfortunately, my solution was to weld 2 supports to a steel plate and mount the rear (hinge) of the awning to that bracket. it can no longer fold down which is fine for our needs.

Attachments

Fellas, please post your individual modifications on your build page or another thread for specific kit designs (Maybe this was a mistake cut and paste!:unsure:)! The last four posts having nothing to do with anything I've done on my truck and don't want it to get overrun with stuff not related to my build.....I do love that Prospeed and AluCab kit though! :D

Cheers fellas! (y)

E

Any update on the sleeping platform? Im in the process of designing mine and am super curious to see what others have come up with?
Nothing further complete yet on the platform as I have been traveling a lot and came home to a waterlogged and broken yard fence.....lol.

I'll try and get the platform on the frame this week or next.