Project Velcro Sneakers: A Sportsmobile/MG Metalworks/UJOR build

Ranchero

Wanderer
A few years ago I got tired of telecommuting and decided to take a straight job in a town three hours away. I live in paradise and knew that I didn't want to move, so I rented an apartment, which I stay(ed) in 2-3 nights per week for 8 months of the year. That lasted two years and then I got restless and decided I couldn't fathom paying rent for a place I spend so little time in. Wheels turned and I started rationalizing a new camper to commute with and live in thinking I could have it built and paid for pretty quickly with what I'm saving in rent.

I looked out in the driveway at my Westy (build thread ) , then XPCampers, Fourwheel Campers, and Hallmark campers. I was hellbent on an XP, but couldn't swing it without selling the Westy, which I don't want to do at this point. I purposely didn't look at Sportsmobiles because a friend had a 2004-5 PSD that was a nightmare.

I had all but decided to build my own van based on a gas Ford or Chevy. But after realizing that I care more about time with family and friends than money, I decided to farm out the more difficult and time-consuming part (the interior) and focus on the easier mechanical stuff. Having thought about spending close to six figures on an XP made the thought of spending less than half that on a Sportsmobile and 4x4 swap more palatable, so I started the hunt.

I ended up with this 2006 E350 RB-something with 5.4l V8 and about 45k miles. My immediate projects include better lighting, a heater and MG/UJOR 4x4 conversion. Here goes...
30381423703_20e5b45781_k.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! Glad you are doing a thread for your build! I'll be starting one for mine with all the stuff that has happened once the MG/UJOR kit is installed and it's up in the air. I'll document the 4wd part as it happens.

Good luck with your build! I'll be following along and doing my own!

velcro sneakers..... i love it.

i have a pair of walmart velcro sneakers i use to go junk yarding as the yards here are heavily oil soaked asphalt, and will destroy a pair of shoes in 3 minutes.

Ranchero

Wanderer
Sweet! Glad you are doing a thread for your build! I'll be starting one for mine with all the stuff that has happened once the MG/UJOR kit is installed and it's up in the air. I'll document the 4wd part as it happens.

Good luck with your build! I'll be following along and doing my own!
I'm hoping you have your 4x4 swap going soon! I'll likely be a few weeks behind. I have most of the parts ready to go. Hope to finish by turkey day.

Ranchero

Wanderer
velcro sneakers..... i love it.

i have a pair of walmart velcro sneakers i use to go junk yarding as the yards here are heavily oil soaked asphalt, and will destroy a pair of shoes in 3 minutes.

When I drove it home a few months ago my wife said "Nice old man van!" Nothing screams retiree (or middle aged nurse) like white velcro sneakers. I'm not *quite* a retiree yet. I should have my AARP card within a year though! I'm hoping the van looks a little bit cooler once the swap is done.

Last edited:
When I drove it home a few months ago my wife said "Nice old man van!" Nothing screams retiree (or middle aged nurse) like white velcro sneakers. I'm not *quite* a retiree yet. I should have my AARP card within a year though! I'm hoping the van looks a little bit cooler one the swap is done.

It's the natural progression of life, ya come into the world naked and screaming, progress to diapers, Velcro shoes, buncha good years, then Velcro sneakers, diapers, and goes out naked and screamin.

Jsweezy

Explorer
I like the name and the van! I know the van will look better once the conversion is done and especially if you throw some chrome or black wheels on it.

Ranchero

Wanderer
collecting parts

When I finally decided upon a van, I was originally going to do a UJOR swap. Having an FZJ80 (lots of flex) and a Syncro Westy (no flex), it seemed like a leaf spring conversion was the way to go. After thinking a bit more critically about how I would use this (17000 miles per year highway and dirt road driving September – April in Colorado), I realized that the flex I could get with a full UJOR kit was overkill for my needs. In addition, if I went with MG's upcoming coil-spring front kit I could potentially get a bit smoother ride and better brakes for about the same $$. So I set about searching for some axles. I wanted to go with tires somewhere between 33s and 35s. That meant a gear change from my stock 3.73s for sure. I contemplated 4:56s as were recommended by Chris at UJOR, but in searching a bit I realized Ford offered factory 4.30s. I don't plan on towing and driving fast up hills in Colorado doesn't really matter much to me so I figure 4.30s will maintain approximately my stock rpm at the 60-65 that I typically drive at. I found a 2013 Dana 60 with 4.30s in Farmington NM for $1k with everything but the locking hubs and trailing arm bolts. Also found a Sterling 10.5 with 4.30s and limited slip in Grand Junction, CO for $750.

So I took the world's best parts run. Over the course of about 16-18 hours I drove about 600 miles through some incredible country to collect my axles: over Poncha Pass and Wolf Creek Pass, down to Farmington NM where I picked up the front axle and a Lottaburger with green chile and cheese. I would drive 300 miles just for a Lottaburger! Then on to Durango, Coal Bank Pass, Molas Pass, Silverton, Red Mountain Pass, Ouray and Grand Junction where I collected the rear. Then back across US50 by Blue Mesa Reservoir, Gunnison, Monarch Pass back to paradise.

Somewhat amazingly, my 80 got close to 16 MPG towing a trailer loaded with those axles.
The front axle was great. The rear looked like it had spent its last hours in an irrigation canal. Nothing that new seals, bearings, and rotors won't cure.
30821212510_3fa60be610_k.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Just a casual lurker here, but congrats and thanks for clarifying your MG/UJOINT suspension combo. Seems to me like a good idea. I'll be interested to see your results and impressions.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Ranchero

Wanderer
Just a casual lurker here, but congrats and thanks for clarifying your MG/UJOINT suspension combo. Seems to me like a good idea. I'll be interested to see your results and impressions.

Yeah - sorry. I meant to write that up. Chris at UJOR was so good about helping me when I was going to do a full UJOR swap. When MG's kit came on the market and it seemed to fit my needs a bit better, Chris was STILL helpful in figuring out what I needed. I ordered everything I could from Chris, including a rebuilt transfer case. Great guy. Maybe I'll do a full UJOR kit on a different van in the future - who knows?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yeah - sorry. I meant to write that up. Chris at UJOR was so good about helping me when I was going to do a full UJOR swap. When MG's kit came on the market and it seemed to fit my needs a bit better, Chris was STILL helpful in figuring out what I needed. I ordered everything I could from Chris, including a rebuilt transfer case. Great guy. Maybe I'll do a full UJOR kit on a different van in the future - who knows?

Thanks, happy to help.

We've been joking at the shop, when will we "DeMG" a van? We can sell someone the MG kit, then switch it to the UJ kit. That business model seems to work well for the drug companies right?

I'll make MILLIONS! ha

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Since I just started watching "Narcos" last night that makes perfect sense Chris!

I think I'm already hooked and I dont even have a van...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior