Project "Snapping Turtle": 1KZ-TE into a 2nd Gen 4Runner

the kid

Juke Box Hero
as far as the maxxis bighorn goes, may i suggest you go with another tire... i am currently running them and to date i have had 4 that are or have been out of round, had to replace three of them. they are wearing very fast, and i am not impressed at all. -i know i am changing my tune on the tires, but my first set i had served me very well, and i got a long life out of them. -i have had mine for only 10months and have worn through half the tread already. with only a couple wheeling trips on them. the rest has been DD driving. -ive put about 10k mi on them so far. all in all i am not impressed and will be going with MTRs. at least they should be round. for you a tire id recommend is the cooper st maxx its a great mix of MT/AT, and they come in tall skinny like you want. everyone i know who has run them loves them and has had no issues with them

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Good timing "The Kid" (I kinda feel like a jerk calling you that mate :p )

Well guys, I'm sure most think I've lost my mind and my nerve and decided to drop off the face of the earth never to complete the truck or be heard from again... CLOSE!!!! (but we all know I talk WAY too much for that to be entirely true) :D . No, I've had a ton of family drama, Grandmother died at 108 years old (RIP you wonderful woman), my other Grandparents are both getting to the point where life's about to take a major turn and the wife and I are moving to a new place (which is gonna be AWESOME). BUT, I assure you that the project is still alive and I'll give yall a teaser until next week...

No more IFS makes Dave a happy boy indeed!!! Still a LONG way from finished, but... I'm just gonna be excited to see the 2nd Gen Chassis sitting there on 4 OME leafs and a built up SFA under the front of her aye. I've also gotten a few toys, a nice inverter and "wall sockets" one pair for up front, one for the cargo area, some cool Molle compatible W/P Canvas seat-covers. In addition, my Cousin, who among other things like building hot-rods, does custom clear film protection for all the "big money" car dealers and drivers in town sat down with me to do some design ideas for a wrap on the truck. I've been kind of toying with the idea of doing some "Kryptek" Highlander or Mandrake but I don't know if I want to go that far into the "Tacticool"/"I own firearms :ar15: " realm of things as I've seen it draw some unwanted attention sometimes... but I've also toyed with the idea of doing a Topo of some area that's special to me like the Alsea River Valley or something (like ARB did on their 4th gen 4Runner) or I may just do it Desert Tan with a hood black-out. I'm WAY far away from doing that yet.

Per the tire hunt, as of writing this, my fingers are crossed for the new BFG ATKO2's to come out in a "flavor of my taste"... IMO they've done an outstanding job of the redesign and the "full size range" is said to be available around the first of the year so... My fingers are crossed real tight

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

BeratE

Observer
Hi Dave,
Good to hear that there is still progess going on ;P Can't wait to see the solid axle done, I will be very jealous! I finally got off my *** and posted what I have done to my 1kz-te, and if you are still looking to intercool yours, maybe you will get a few ideas. I am planning to drive to Portland and Bend towards the beginning of the new year, so if you are willing, maybe I can stoip by and take a peak at your truck

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Hi Dave,
Good to hear that there is still progress going on ;P Can't wait to see the solid axle done, I will be very jealous! I finally got off my *** and posted what I have done to my 1kz-te, and if you are still looking to intercool yours, maybe you will get a few ideas. I am planning to drive to Portland and Bend towards the beginning of the new year, so if you are willing, maybe I can stop by and take a peak at your truck
HAHAHAHA, yeah thanks mate. Pretty much since September everything's been a blur, and not one of those "cruising smoothly, ship on auto-pilot" kind of blurs... No I've had more of an "I've fallen and struck my head and I may never get the memories back" kind of blur... and Lucky me I awoke to find "the holidays". Nowhere to go but UP from here though aye ;)

I'd definitely be glad to show her off when you roll through town, and I'm hoping the when you do that I'll have something more exciting to show off aye. I think cracking out the SAS will get her rolling nicely... I won't lie as soon as the SAS is done I'm gonna sit in the drivers seat and make turbo diesel noises and crank the wheel back and forth :rally_guys: (*note to self: remember to install a "co-pilot grab-handle ala' FJ40 for the Truck!!! )

I'll have to read your posts cause I'm definitely interested in getting on the IC bandwagon. Thanks for the heads up mate, got a link to the posts by any chance?

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Making those diesel noises while spinning the wheel is nearly as much fun as the real thing, right? My post isn't too in depth as I didn't want to bore anybody, but I have lots of pics of the custom fab bits if you are interested.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/135954-It-ll-all-Berate-1kz-te-diesel-Taco
Right?!?!?!?! I mean that's all I really do when I'm driving anyway so...

For the record (and maybe it speaks volumes about ME) I never get bored reading about Diesel conversions etc. so... ;) Just got home to finally put my feet up so I'll be reading it and looking at the pic now. Thanks mate.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Well... The Axle is underneath the truck. Yehaw!!!!! I now have a SAS'd, 4-wheel Leaf-Sprung 2nd Gen Rolling Chassis. Oh, with an E-Locker out-back. Now I just need to get that pesky 1KZ-TE thing-a-my in thur :D

Cheers

Dave

jeverich

Luddite
Glad to see it coming together...!

Still amazed that a tip on a Craigslist post has progressed into this!

Can I do your fab work??

Beanzermin

Observer
When you say convert to a Hilux Surf do you mean all the way? Or just the motor? I've been looking everywhere for some parts. Window visors, inclinometer, and little fender mirror but can't seem to find them anywhere. Recaro interior would be amazing but shipping on that terrifies me. I already got the rear spoiler and would like these other parts. Do you think that's something Japan4x4 might be able to help me get?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
When you say convert to a Hilux Surf do you mean all the way? Or just the motor? I've been looking everywhere for some parts. Window visors, inclinometer, and little fender mirror but can't seem to find them anywhere. Recaro interior would be amazing but shipping on that terrifies me. I already got the rear spoiler and would like these other parts. Do you think that's something Japan4x4 might be able to help me get?
I mean mostly the engine... I'm making an LHD KZN130 ROW "Hilux" out of a USDM 3VZ boat-anchor "4Runner", but I'm not going to do the full JDM treatment no. I am however on the hunt for a Hilux rear wind deflector (the larger "wing" looking bit with the 3rd brake-light. and I AM going to put all "Hilux" emblems on it just so that the Toyota folks can freak out and the others can scratch their heads and wonder why it's clattering and whistling down the road (hopefully)

I gotta say, Ebay is a good first place to haunt (and I mean HAUNT HOURLY to get in on some of those small bits, unfortunately you'll come across ALL kinds of awesome deals in Japan but as of yet I've not gotten a single wrecker to contact me back unless I was willing to buy a container full of stuff for them to ship as it's probably not worth it) but otherwise yeah, I'd create an account with Japan4x4 and contact Dave (CANNOT say enough good about him and his business, he's a contact ALL Toyota fans who don't run 100% USDM trucks. If you wait long enough I may have a little side business going on with JDM/ROW Toyota bits cause there's a really cool vid on YT about these two Aussie guys (Mighty-car-mods) going to Japan and just how cheap 2nd hand parts are over there and I have some deep connections in Australia as well but as of now, Japan4x4 is where I've gone for all the bits that I needed to even begin dropping in the engine.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Well I KNEW things were going too smoothly... Anyone know if there's any parts interchangeability for a FLEXPLATE in the 1KZ-TE with a US engine part#??? I'm apparently short the Flex-plate and I'm trying to figure out if I'm gonna have to order one from Japan 4x4 or if I can make say a 3VZ flexplate work for this swap...

UGH, and on top of it all we're in the middle of moving into our new house this weekend so.. of COURSE this comes up now.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Well, it didn't take long to get an answer over on ToyotaDiesel, but it looks like I'm gonna be hunting down a 1KZ-TE flex-plate from a foreign source... UGH, this is so lame, we'd just built up some momentum and now I need another part. Hopefully we can get some other stuff done while I'm waiting on yet ANOTHER part to arrive.

EDIT: ...and suddenly being a grown man making friends with people over the interweb makes sense. Another fellow 1KZ-TE swapper here in OR HAS the flexplate I need (and isn't using it) so I just gotta get it shipped up here and clean it up and away I go hopefully!!! May still order a Flex plate cause if I ever wanted/needed to swap to the new unit I'd have it here but it sounds like the used unit is serviceable and just needs a bit of superficial rust clean-up but it'll get the truck moving and keep the ball rolling. Don't have it yet but that makes my blood pressure go down a few 10 points on either end aye.

Last edited:

bgalinec

20150117_182439.jpg20150117_182439.jpgHi I'm new to the sight and kzte swap. I had done a diesel swap before on my bronco with a Mercedes I5 td but the rig was to big, so I sold the engine and scrap the truck. Now I'm trying something else Toyota in to Toyota but I'm running in to wiring problems sense the JDM Inc.removed all relays from the harness , I was able to find the glow plug and the main relay .My other problem is that my truck is 89 2nd Gen but the ecu plugs are bigger then the one from the diesel harness and I can't find 12p plug .how hard is it to cross wire old truck wiring with the new ecu and harness?

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
View attachment 267060View attachment 267060Hi I'm new to the sight and kzte swap. I had done a diesel swap before on my bronco with a Mercedes I5 td but the rig was to big, so I sold the engine and scrap the truck. Now I'm trying something else Toyota in to Toyota but I'm running in to wiring problems sense the JDM Inc.removed all relays from the harness , I was able to find the glow plug and the main relay .My other problem is that my truck is 89 2nd Gen but the ecu plugs are bigger then the one from the diesel harness and I can't find 12p plug .how hard is it to cross wire old truck wiring with the new ecu and harness?
Hmmm man, I DO NOT KNOW, that sounds like a real interesting question/problem you've got aye... I'm wondering if it's not becasue you've got the early 2nd Gen where the 4Runner/trucks don't line up (and if the 2nd Gen 4Runner is different from the truck in more ways then I know). As far as cross wiring, I have no ides about that either, if you can get the pin-out diagram, maybe you can find a way to "make" a plug to convert to the smaller plug sockets needed for your chassis...

Best of luck with your swap mate, I'm still at mine aye... Can't wait to get it up and rolling...

Cheers

DAve