Project Patience. A 1990 MJ Comanche

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
OK. I finally settled on a name. Project Patience. I tend to rush through projects, and not complete them exactly the way i want. But no more! MJ's are getting sparse, and i want this one done right. A purpose built DD / trail rig capable of Moab/Ouray/Mountain trails. A little background...I ran across this MJ on craigslist. the guy just had ababy, and his wife said "get something with a backseat." Well i have always wanted to get back in to a comanche, and the guy was interested in a trade. I was never really attached to my XJ, so away we traded. The biggest issue i foresee with this build is bed storage, and a secure way to haul the dogs....thinking softopper. or just have to carry dog crates.
20161206_153830_0e1f5650029ff79357822c99098d6beca2d16181.jpg
Basic Specs:
1990 MJ Eliminator
Colorado Red
219,000 on the body
170,000 on the drivetrain
H.O block with a Renix top end
spectre intake
AX-15
NP231
8.25 rear/HPD30 front, both from a 97 xj. Open diffs with 3.55's
4" rough country AAL SUA lift
31x10.5 Yokohama AT's

The Bad:

• The PO yanked out the Eliminator Buckets and fabbed in a wore out bench seat Along with this, they hacked up the factory center console(will have to find another
    Fog light wiring scares me
    Blinkers are going auwfull fast(suspect bad grounds)
    Needs to be ran through Cruisers renix list
    Terrible HID lights
    Cutoff exhaust with a cherry bomb(terrible drone, but sounds good)
    body has some dents, but it will be a DD not a show truck
    needs a new headlight bucket (xj source-paint grille black)
    needs new door panels(will source from a XJ. possible just new doors to eliminate the bat wings for trail visibility)
    needs new headlight switch
    Needs a headliner
The Good:

Its a MJ Eliminator!
No rust
runs great, idles a bit rough
no major electrical gremlins
sliding rear window
nates rear bumper
decent rims
straight body
is clean running
4wd shifts fine
Still has the MJ bucket racks
brand new speakers and radio

Plans: I plan to do a resto build while still DD'ing so it will only be down a couple days at a time. Funds are tighter on this build so it will take longer.

Interim: Rusty's 4" leaves SUA/1.5 lift shackle and RE 4.5 coils and IRO fixed length arms. Install my spratan and sic brakes
Final. hell creek 3" leaves, xj shackles- SOA and 6.5" coils; Cav Fab 3-link. re-drill shackle hole if needed.

4.56's and 35's
SYE and Tom Woods Shaft,e-lockers front, tru-trac rear, TNT trusses, Cav Fab 3-link Alpha, TNT Belly pan, open cooling system, seats/ MJ buckets or swap seats, HO intake manifold,
Header, Lund Visor, Bilstein shocks, hooligan Steel fenders, napier rear flares, Roll Bar? soft topper, Exhaust electric outlets/ converter, Bed line the Bed and rockers, Cut n fold bed, jks quick discos, KrustyBawler Fab Sliders, Floor pan coating, steel brake lines, winch, H$ upgrade and putco harness, XJ wonders main wires, Alternator relocate/ZJ swap/remove A/C. Remove the weight dist valve/swap to xj. WJ booster, Softopper, Overland Storage.

tarditi

Explorer
I had a 1987 MJ and it was great, but the 2.8L v6 decided to give me lots of problems right before I REALLY needed it to be trouble free... traded it for a new (at the time) 1993 YJ.
Best of luck with yours - keep the Commanche fires burning!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
A little sad to see the XJ go but hell you have a MJ now! Look forward to what you have planned for it.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
A little sad to see the XJ go but hell you have a MJ now! Look forward to what you have planned for it.

XJ's are a dime a dozen...but a MJ is getting hard to find! I spent all yesterday cleaning up electrical gremlins. Still tracing no reverse lights or brake lights.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Time to start brainstorming bed storage. I was dead set on a rare comanche topper, but a club member pointed out that fiberglass and trees do not mix. Thinking of a soft topper and a home brew version of a "Decked" storage bed with a tractor supply tool chest in the front.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
well i snagged a set of 2 door xj buckets. a little bit of Fab work, and i have more interior room! Now i need to find or make a center console. seats.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Congrat's on the awesome score! :victory:

With a screen name like WyoCherokee, a Comanche makes perfect sense... :elkgrin:
(just kidding around :beer:)

You know what would look **************' is a soft top canopy. Not sure they make them for the MJ, but there is a company in Colorado that makes complete soft top assemblies for off brand vehicles (like my Scout).
I saw a Bestop soft top canopy on a Dodge 1500 the other day, and it looked so freaking great. :) Looks a lot like the JKU premium soft top, only as a whole "canopy".

In any case, I sure like where you are going with this one! Look forward to seeing some trail shots this spring. :)

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
If you pull out the vent windows in favor of fixed, check in on NAXJA.org. I know of at least one guy looking for a set.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Congrat's on the awesome score! :victory:

With a screen name like WyoCherokee, a Comanche makes perfect sense... :elkgrin:
(just kidding around :beer:)

You know what would look **************' is a soft top canopy. Not sure they make them for the MJ, but there is a company in Colorado that makes complete soft top assemblies for off brand vehicles (like my Scout).
I saw a Bestop soft top canopy on a Dodge 1500 the other day, and it looked so freaking great. :) Looks a lot like the JKU premium soft top, only as a whole "canopy".

In any case, I sure like where you are going with this one! Look forward to seeing some trail shots this spring. :)

haha well i started with a 99 xj. my build thread is on here.
Softtopper makes a MJ soft top.

If you pull out the vent windows in favor of fixed, check in on NAXJA.org. I know of at least one guy looking for a set.

will do. i am a member on there as well

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
ok... i have deprived you guys here recently. Check out my Cherokeeforum thread for the most up to date info, so i dot have to upload a ton of pics again! Just threw 33's on it. I have a whole slew up parts to get on her. Cav-fab crossover steering, a 3-link is in the mail. some frame stiffeners, steering beef, bucket seats are in, working on a traveling dog box and storage box.

console.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94