Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

PMA4x4

Adventurer
So while the door panels were off during the apint job and weather stripping I noticed what seals were there were gone. You can see in the first two pics they were just hanging there buy dust alone.

Instead of paying the large amount of money (for such simple items) i decided to go to my local hardware store and found some 3/8 general weather stripping.

I took the old stuff, cleaned the surfaces good then just layed a couple of spots down of 100% silicone and BAM all new seals for 12 bucks with extra left over

dpanel-0001.jpg

dpanel-0002.jpg

New Seals

dpanel-0003.jpg

dpanel-0004.jpg

dpanel-0005.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Christmas time, order in from LMC

All three weather seals fro the rear barn doors
Both new Oil cooler lines
Clear rear dome light cover
Clear turn and parking light kits.

lmc-lights-0001.jpg

Christmas time, order in from LMC

All three weather seals fro the rear barn doors
Both new Oil cooler lines
Clear rear dome light cover
Clear turn and parking light kits.

View attachment 160001
I replaced my rear door seals on my 91 Burb with those exact ones from LMC. They are very thick and they made the doors hard to shut. Now whenever I shut them I have to push up on the door handle otherwise the right door slams into the left and cracks the fiberglass door panel at the top. The same thing happened to a friend of mine with his burb. They seal real nice though.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Front bumper finally painted and installed. I have one revision to make and it will finally be available. Only took six months...

bump-37.jpg

bump-38.jpg

bump-39.jpg

bump-40.jpg

Acetylene

Explorer
I am loving this build. Can't wait for the next update. Can you give some info as to how to get those security visors?

PMA4x4

Adventurer
This info is for the few that have asked for more details on the window vents.

They are from Germany. if you want to purchase other stuff you will need to translate. I used google translator and just copied and pasted the text into the translator. I already had an idea of what I was looking for. A user on here by the name of "Northman" (on the expedition portal forum) had given me the direct link.

Website
http://www.nakatanenga.de/

This is the direct link tot he product i ordered, part # UNI4959LB
http://nakatanenga-tours.de/shop/article_UNI4959LB/L%C3%BCftungsbleche-Seitenfenster%2C-einstellbar-f%C3%BCr-Scheibenbreite-von-49-59cm.html?sessid=SVdo9HWPhdifYhWYpZG3XIi0GW3eeSrqVQ1IvCJVe9gai3ybXNfVkey2X2BOvffk&shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3DUNI4959LB%26

You can email Sandra at the company at sandra@nakatanenga.de. She speaks English but best to keep simple words. Just tell her you are wanting the same product you shipped to Arizona USA in April of 2013.

Here are the SAE dimensions.
Height = 5"
Minimal width = 19 3/8"
Maximum width = 23 1/4"
Outer top edges have a radius of = 2.5"

you also receive 8 rubber grommets that you cut to length to fit into the adjustment slots .
You slip it into the window channel and bring the window up. The window locks into a channel on the vent. Once this is done its pretty much as secure as have the window up all the way but leaving the vehicle interior to stay cool.

It would be best if you have a Paypal account and once they receive it they ship out via DHL and I received mine through the post office in about 3 weeks (it can take longer).

With the dollar down against the Euro and over seas shipping when all said and done it ran me $108 to my door.

Hope this help.

4853296.jpg

mulebody-0025.jpg

mulebody-0026.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
What Lights did you put on your bumper?
Good looking set up!

Thanks.

The round lights are TJM QH160s Halogen (100w). The Fogs (55w) are El' Cheapos ($20) from Oreilly Auto. They only last like 3 or 4 years but they are very effective on cutting thru fog. I should have the rest of my lights Wednesday from Blitzpro. I hope to have them wire for display this weekend since I will be selling them.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Rack painted, lights mounted and suspended form our custom roofrack lift that resembles some sort of dark ages torture contraption.

roofrack-16.jpg

roofrack-17.jpg

Now the moment of truth to see if my calculations were correct to clear the shop door.

roofrack-18.jpg

roofrack-19.jpg

roofrack-20.jpg

I actually measured this. a 1/4" to spare with tires still fully inflated!

roofrack-21.jpg

roofrack-22.jpg

roofrack-23.jpg

roofrack-24.jpg

Attachments

• roofrack-12.jpg
    roofrack-12.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 37

Shiryas

Adventurer
PMA4x4,

Nice Suburban build, the 'K' platform is all I grew up with overseas.

81KSA Najran18.jpg

On your site you show you are using a Toughbook CF29 in conjunction with your handheld GPS's. I have this model running Ubuntu currently and I have batted the idea of using the Tango software with it or just reverting it back to Windows with Garmin or some other open source stuff.

Do you have a post of how you have your Toughbook set up, or any links for a simple reliable set up with these?

Great work and cheers, Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier