Project: Lower SAS & 33s complete.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Here's the whole article with pics and info:

The "rock crawler" look is definitely gone, but I'm happy with the 33s over the 35s. The performance difference on the highway is very noticeable. RPMS @ 60 mph gps, is 2900 rpm. About 100-150 higher than before. The truck will never see much above 70 mph so that's not an issue. The negligible difference in tire height is made up by a nice new fresh set of MTRs and lower over all height for better off road stability. Handling is a lot better now and she's more of a joy to drive than before.

Total reduction in suspension and tire lift by the project, brought it down by about 2.5-3 inches. Suspension lift is now around 4". I'd go lower if I could, but I'm at my uptravel limits. This is pretty much it.

Bottom line, the vehicle fits the "expedition" role much better now than it did before.

This is what she looks like right now:

backtobasics038small.jpg

CLynn85

Explorer
Looks good. Sounds like you don't regret it at all. Looks much more well rounded and you'll probably be satisfied with the performance of it.

Scott Brady

Founder
Looks great Brian!

I will be curious to hear your thoughts after a few months. I think that driveability is critical to us enjoying our vehicles for the long haul.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
That does look great, Brian, and much more versatile for an overland expedition vehicle.

Glad to see you here; I've been enjoying your website for years.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Jonathan Hanson said:
Glad to see you here; I've been enjoying your website for years.

Thanks much, I'm really enjoying this forum. It's so much more geared towards what I like to do than most others I usually visit.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Brian, trucks looks great!

Just curious why you switched over to soft 8's.

How does the ride feel now?

Brian894x4

Explorer
FourByLand said:
Brian, trucks looks great!

Just curious why you switched over to soft 8's.

How does the ride feel now?

Actually to be honest, I had no idea what I was buying. I ordered the exact same wheel I had before, which was basically the same thing (so I'm told) except the D shape hole instead of the round holes, but the wheel you see here is what came instead, so I just went with it. I like the round holes better, but in the end I just want a reliable cost effective black steel wheel.

Hopefully there aren't any issues with these wheels? The tire shop called them the "rockcrawler" style wheels, so I'm hoping they are pretty much exactly what I had before, just round holes instead of D holes. The old wheels worked great for a number of years. No dents, cracks or any issues at all.

I had to order new wheels, because I kept the old 35s on their rims and have them in the garage in case I decide to go back or need for anything.

The ride is just a tad harsher, I assume from the shorter sidewall, and the tires wander just a smidgen on the highway, compared to my well worn 35s of the same brand. But I recall the 35s do that when I first got them too. I assume the large tread blocks can do this on certain surfaces. The well worn 35 MTRs tracked perfectly straight as an arrow after a couple years of use. Over all handling is a much better with the lower sidewalls, and lower height.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles