Project Long Range LJ

FKreider

Observer
I just purchased a new daily driver a few weeks ago.

2004 LJ Gr8top half cab, Rubi wheels, unknown lift, 33" tires.

I've ALWAYS wanted a CJ8 or to stretch my wrangler, but I could never bite the bullet and cut it in half. While at work I drove by a dealership and saw this, I went after work, took it for a test drive and pretty much bought it on the spot.

My 1999 Cherokee had served me VERY well, it was a two door with about 1~1.5" lift with 235x75r15 tires. It was up to 230xxx miles and it was getting tired.

After the test drive I knew after I bought the jeep that it would need a few changes, I just wasn't quite sure what it needed.

As my daily driver it will see about 95% road time and 5% offroad, I have another wrangler that is built on 35's that I use as a trail rig.

This one will get me to the office and then to camping trips and various other weekend trips, hence the name "Long Range LJ"

Lets start on the bad:

-After crawling around underneath the rig it would appear that the PO piece mailed a lift kit together.

Front end:

-Track bar drop bracket, possibly Rubicon express?

-Drop pitman arm

-Rough country coils? Unknown height.

-Rough Country mono-shocks.

Rear:

-Adjustable track bar and track bar relocation bracket (axle side, raises track bar mount up a couple inches)

-MOPAR 07-14 Unlimted 4-door Heavy Duty springs (got part numbers off springs)

-Unknown shocks, blue in color, look to be stock type.

-Shock relocation brackets (axle side, so the shocks clear the axle tube)

The problems:

-Any bump or pothole hit is a harsh bump that makes the cab rattle and suspension creak.

-The rear of the jeep feels especially harsh, Im not surprised considering the coils are meant for a much larger JK 4-door.

-On the highway there is a serious dead spot in the steering where straight should be, causing you to always have to steer left and right.

-As much as I like the look, the 285x75R15 tires are unnecessarily big for my driving needs.

What I want:

-Stock TJ/LJ Rubicon capability, this is plenty off off road ability for what I will be doing.

-Softer and more forgiving ride.

-Corrected steering issues.

Last edited:

FKreider

Observer
I'm looking for suggestions from anyone who drives a TJ or LJ.

I'm thinking the best route is going to be purchasing new coils and shocks.

Tires are either going to be 245's or 265's so I was thinking 2-3" lift is going to be all I need.

Coils:

OME or Teraflex? I want firm but smooth ride, I'm not convinced progressive rate coils are the way to go.

Shocks:

Bilstein 5100's?

Steering and Track Bar's

I've been told to get rid of the drop bracket and drop pitman arm that they aren't necessary until over 4" lift. Can anyone confirm this?

Do I need the track bar relocation bracket in the rear if the track bar is adjustable?

Last edited:

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
No lift is needed for 245s. For bigger I'd go with a 2 inch lift.

Get rid of that trackbar setup asap and the drop pitman arm. Back to stock with a zj tie rod or the Currie setup would serve you well.

For coils I'd either go stock with a bb or ome. Either way ome or bilstein springs would make you happy.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Agree with EugenetheTJ on the steering... no need for trackbar or pitman arm at lower heights. Most important part for your ride compliance is shocks. I have RC 2.5 springs and bilstein 5100 shocks, riding on stock moab rims with BFG AT's and it is the smoothest riding jeep I have ever had. Almost car like. You probably do not need the shock shifters either.

I would contact Grt8 directly to see if they have suggestions on the top squeaking.

The jeep looks great by the way. Good luck with it.

John

Barrows

Adventurer
The rough country shocks are very unforgiving, I swapped for them to 5100's and loved the change. I would suggest 2.5 lift ome springs, and 33x10.5 tires. I currently have this setup and it is great.

FKreider

Observer
Actually I've already contacted Gr8top, they recommended loosening the top and shimmying it to re-position. I think the only reason I hear the bumps and rattles in the body/top is because the rear spring/shock set up is so damn stiff.

FKreider

Observer
The dealer bought the Jeep at auction, only came with the Gr8top, the half cab is part of the reason I bought the Jeep so that wasnt a negative for me.

FKreider

Observer
The tires it currently has are 285's so pretty much 33's. I'm considering just staying with the current tires (dont tell the wife). I do a 50 mile commute every day, I'm not sure if dropping down to 265's will really gain me much in MPG and drive-ability.

Vegastoy

Observer
Looks like a nice find!

Post some picture of the front and rear suspension setup when you get some time.

As was already said I would run some OME springs with either OME or bilstein shocks. Stock pitman arm with currie steering (if budget permits) if not stock would probably be fine for your plans. I would also ditch the front track bar drop bracket and get a Currie HD adjustable track bar. In the rear I would keep the track bar bracket and adjustable track bar as long as there is no interference with the gas tank on compression. As for the tires you have 5 matching wheels and tires and they appear to have decent tread left as well. I would run them for a while before you jump to any decisions. I think they will look good with the lift you have planned. 33's look perfect on 2-3" lift IMO...

irish1371

Adventurer
best ride and over all performance I had in my LJ was the hd OME springs and either ome or bilt or rancho shocks. The hd package will ride nice and smooth but still allow you to drop a winch or tire carrier on in the future if you want.

I would not expect you to need a track bar bracket with the adj rear but if it is not the right lenght for the lift I could see why it is there. I would add an adj front track bar.
The rough ride may be due to the bushings being worn from the frankenlift. You may want to check all the arms. frame and axle ends along with the track bar joints. a little wear or wrong torque can add alot to the crap feel of the ride.

I went with a cheap disco up front when I first got my lj and I had a very poor feeling( wandering) steering. make sure your disconnects are in good shape and your disco"arms" are about 10-15 deg above centerline.
this did alot to help my steering.
i would really eye ball those tires for bad wear patterns too. crap lifts lead quickly to crap tires and a terrible ride.
gl with it. looks like a fun ride

FKreider

Observer
The tires are literally brand new, I would guess less than a couple thousand miles, so I don't think they are having an effect on the ride.

After going on the highway yesterday and giving it some thought, I really think the steering issue is most important right now, the jeep just wanders too much.

I'm going to get an adjustable front track bar and stock pitman arm to start with and then go from there. OME springs sound like the way to go through.

Modeler

W1DCS
When we ran together at Fall Crawl a few years back I was running the OME springs and shocks (HDs in the rear) w/ 33s. That was the best performing combination I ever had on the LJ.

FKreider

Observer
When we ran together at Fall Crawl a few years back I was running the OME springs and shocks (HDs in the rear) w/ 33s. That was the best performing combination I ever had on the LJ.

Nice! I remember when you got a little too far right at the top of the rock face at Carnage! Do you still have the LJ? Going to Fall Crawl this year?

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
i had OME springs with king remote res. adjustable Shocks. rode and handled great. lots of other mods but those were the heart of the suspension system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz