Project Flift, a 1986 Four Wheel Campers Fleet shortening documentation thread!

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Out of curiosity why are you selling this for a newer one? What features do you want that you don't have on this one currently.

Well done on the remodel, thanks for all the info!

Thanks! I want a new one because I want the fancier stuff without having to do the work myself ha. Things like solar and all the associated wiring/monitoring/etc. done professionally, new canvas with winter insulation, and some other things.

craig333

Expedition Leader
You and others who have rebuilt the lift panels have convinced me I'll just drive over to ATC and have them do it. If it ever needs doing. Did you ever actually camp in it?

Atl-atl

Adventurer
You and others who have rebuilt the lift panels have convinced me I'll just drive over to ATC and have them do it. If it ever needs doing. Did you ever actually camp in it?

I did camp in it a couple times ha! What does ATC charge?

BajaSurfRig

I believe that they charge $350 a panel. I have my 83' Grandby there right now getting some work done on it and I will double check that number when I go to pick it up.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Well, Flift is off to a new home! Thanks Rob, the camper is even more perfect for you than it was for me!

46402995114_b93e2c302c.jpg

47074255842_eca275b73f.jpg

40161688563_52b009ff73.jpg

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Update: The electrode senses current or resistance through the flame and stops sparking once the flame is detected. It's not heat per se that turns it on and off. I installed mine in our frig today using the original electrode which was on the frig. Seems to work very nicely--lights much faster than with the original piezio hammer sparker and stops sparking almost immediately upon lighting and starts sparking again as soon as the flame goes off. I haven't driven anywhere with it yet. The Attwood 9 volt relighter is no longer sold. Robert Shaw makes a 9 volt relighter for about $80. part number 735-002 I think. (maybe 785-002)
Just an update on the relighter: I took my first road trip with it installed, about 70 miles one way and back. I can't recall an instance where my frig stayed lit on a journey like that, but this time it did, on both days. So, so far, the relighter seems to be a good upgrade to a propane frig subject to getting blown out. I'd put probably 5 or 6 hrs work into various baffles in the past trying to solve the problem with no avail. Now I know my frig will stay frozen all day on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles