Project Flift, a 1986 Four Wheel Campers Fleet shortening documentation thread!

Atl-atl

Adventurer
@kerry I plan to try some of your ideas but its my busy time of year and havent touched the camper since I parked it Thanksgiving weekend. Thanks for the insight.

Would you mind sharing what your total investment is at this point? Your build is really inspiring

Thank you! I dont have it tallied but plan to do so this winter. Im not afraid to share and will post it here when I get around to it. Not including the price I paid for the camper, it isnt very much. Subtract the misc. tools Ive bought and its definitely less than $1500. I havent done a heck of a lot inside yet, which can add up fast. I also havent replaced the “canvas” yet which will be $1000 plus a lot of labor. I plan to finish the interior at some point this winter. The sweat equity is killer on this one. In very short order Ive got over 100 hours of labor into it. I currently consider it ~50% done. Ill have it done by Overland Expo West but I might not own it anymore by then hah!

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Well, Ive been busy with work/holidays/visitors but I finally got to use the camper and get a little more work done this past week. Still cant get the furnace to fire but the ignitor is clicking. I started researching the possibilities. I need to check the voltage on my house battery, apparently its possible that low voltage can cause the ignitor not to fire and/or the gas valve or sail valve to not open. Supposedly this is somewhere around 10.8 volts. I don't think my battery is that low since the lights work and the water pump works but I guess its possible.

Propane not flowing through the lines is one common issue so I will try to blow them out with an air compressor this week. If that doesnt work I will check the functionality of the gas valve, which seems to be done by hooking it up to 12v and blowing on the valve to simulate propane flowing through it. Since the fan is blowing and the ignitor is firing and its just not getting gas I don't think it's the circuit board. I did find a replacement gas valve for the Atwood furnace in my fwc. Currently I have a 25M16V Type 701 valve which there are replacements available for from White Rodgers.

25M16V-701 replacement gas valve. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts...ts/atwood-furnace-slide-out-gas-valve_79-8491

I also found interchangeable circuit boards so I can replace that if necessary with a universal board "UIB L" from Dinosaur Electronics.
https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Ele...argid=aud-467077737785:pla-449752558760&psc=1

Atl-atl

Adventurer
I also managed to make progress on the interior finishes. Found some duck cloth at a local upholstery place and used it to cover the couch cusion I created. I think it turned out really well. I plan to sew a mattress cover out of the same material once I source mattress foam thats big enough. I also picked up the remaining fabric for my window coverings. There are 3 layers for a total of 4" of foam, 3" being memory foam. It was very comfy to sleep on last week!

5/8 plywood base is removable to access the ski compartment/storage and tie downs. I simply stretched the fabric tight and stapled it to the ply base. I was working upside down and accidentally folded the front corner on the front of the cushion instead of the side so I need to redo that but it turned out great otherwise.
46666415532_03bdf98e5b_b.jpg

46666413902_bc98c5ea83_b.jpg

32844130168_177c8a8d9b_b.jpg

31777578887_0fcba732df_b.jpg

kerry

Expedition Leader
It’s not uncommon for a spider or other insect to plug the gas delivery pipe in the furnace so there’s no gas to ignite. I’ve had it happen

Atl-atl

Adventurer
It’s not uncommon for a spider or other insect to plug the gas delivery pipe in the furnace so there’s no gas to ignite. I’ve had it happen

That seems to be incredibly common based on what internet searches say. Sounds crazy but hopefully I can get it pulled apart and cleaned out tomorrow. Ill be sure to force the air out from the inside just in case hah!

Atl-atl

Adventurer
So I had friends in from Chicago and took the whole week off. We rode mountain bikes four days, did two hikes and went all over the central mountains of AZ. Camped at Sheeps Bridge on the Verde River north of Cave Creek AZ. Weekday winter camping meant we had the site and the hot spring entirely to ourselves!!! The whole week was incredible.

39712662383_0fb58db680_b.jpg

45762407135_d378dd7c27_b.jpg

Lots of mountains, water crossings, Saguaros etc.
32802365538_d3c30315a9_b.jpg

32802363578_02ee15b61a_b.jpg

32802358158_c64c61f97e_b.jpg

32802367298_df16c1d6a0_b.jpg

Sedona
45983541994_7ed085493d_b.jpg

Wilson Mountain looking south over Sedona. Top of the hike was 2 miles of knee deep snow.
32833338678_bb2fdf2ea9_b.jpg

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Here comes just what everyone wants, a vintage Four Wheel Campers FWC furnace post! For the sake of other people searching the internet for information Ive tried to include things I used as search terms when researching this, hence the odd wording in some of this post. Im the kind of person that wants to figure things out for myself and loves to take things apart and put them back together. Here comes the novel about my experience.

For starters, my furnace is working! I couldn't be more thrilled about this. I learned A LOT to get here but I didnt learn exactly what caused my furnace to start working again HAH! It required pulling the entire thing apart and putting it back together.

My 1986 Four Wheel Campers FWC Fleet has an Atwood Hydro Flame Hydroflame Terralab Engineers 7912 furnace.

FWC calls the furnace an Atwood, however, it does not say Atwood anywhere on the furnace, that I can find. It does say Terralab Engineers, and also Hydro Flame Corporation which apparently turned into Atwood at some point in the past. For this post I used information from numerous sources on the internet and combined a few different techniques I came across. At some point I just said F it and started doing everything to see if it would work when I put it back together.

I started tearing it apart to see if there were any bee hives, animal nests etc clogging things up. There were a few small wasp nests which I cleared out but I don't think they were causing the furnace to not light. I unhooked the propane feed line where it goes into the gas valve and turned on the propane at the tank. I could smell propane instantly but not as much as I thought I would so this lead me to think three things: the line is partially blocked, the lines don't flow as much as I expected, and maybe the line isn't flowing enough to trip the gas valve.

I completely stripped the furnace down. Pulled the fan cover off, pulled the fan out, flicked the sail switch a couple times to see if its action felt ok and it did, pulled the ignitor circuit board off, removed all the misc. sheet metal shields and panels, removed the gas valve assembly, removed the magnets and spun the shafts going into the gas valve, adjusted the tines (electrodes?) on the ignitor to meet the factory 1/8th inch spark gap(one of the 3 was farther than that which could have been an issue), removed what I think is called the "circuit breaker" on the wiring schematic but Im not sure, cleaned everything, read all the labels, took pictures of everything and ultimately blew compressed air through the propane lines.

With the propane off and a house battery hooked up I busted out the old multi meter and started checking things. House battery had 12.6 volts, so low voltage isn't the issue. The sail switch, relay, limit switch are seeing 11.6-8. The ignitor and gas valve are seeing 11.5-6 but only when attempting to ignite. They were seeing zero or .0x when the fan was running but not attempting to ignite. I turned the thermostat to "on" to see what would happen. The interesting thing is the ignitor was seeing voltage and attempting to ignite even when the power and ground were disconnected from the ignition probe itself. The + cable for the ignitor was popping even when it was simply dangling in the air, the ground to the ignitor was not hooked up. Slightly scary.

Since scary electrical things were happening, what did I decide to do? Blow into the gas valve when it was hooked up to power to see if it would trip!!! Sure enough, blowing into the gas valve when it was hooked up resulted in the valve popping open and the ignitor attempting to ignite, instantly, the fan had been running and the ignitor had stopped after its normal 3 cycle attempts to ignite. This was the first time the gas valve has opened that I am aware of. It made a very clear audible click/thunk noise I had not previously heard. Now Im experiencing two thoughts, gas wasn't flowing enough to trip the valve or removing and reassembling the parts on the valve assembly (namely the magnets on the shafts that open/close the valve) was enough to kick the valve back into working condition.

Since I heard the gas valve solenoid seeming to work I decided to clean up and reassemble everything. Sure enough it fired up on the very first attempt. I didnt even have to purge the air out of the lines by running the stove. I guess this isn't a surprise since propane is heavier than air and from the tank to the gas valve is all downhill. Im slightly perplexed and its my own fault for trying multiple "solutions" at the same time instead of doing one at a time and hooking it all back up to see if it would work. I didn't have the patience for that today so Im ecstatic that it works now. Hopefully it works in the morning and this wasn't all a dream hah.

Furnace model information
31816879167_795b4b6d51_b.jpg

31816873587_23b221aa41_b.jpg

45843447815_71f73dbd67_b.jpg

31816877647_e08bc4c9fa_b.jpg

45843447815_71f73dbd67_b.jpg

46758717421_78094280fd_b.jpg

Ignitor circuit board
31816880427_5aeb5708e8_b.jpg

Gas inlet on the upper left, gas valve on the left, ignitor in the center, relay on the right, "limit switch" (which seems to be simply a temp sensor) upper center with the pink round sticker on it, bottom right is the black/yellow exhaust pipe (make SURE this is well connected, its what exhausts the unspent gaseous fumes to the back of the camper, you don't want them getting into the furnace with electronics firing or into the camper itself.)
46033676814_607c998556_b.jpg

Another picture of the same assembly as above. The upper right corner where two red wires go into two white plastic connectors is what I believe to be the circuit breaker. See pictures below.
31816877007_62acc04e85_b.jpg

The right side of the circuit breaker is a button that can be pushed in. It doesnt click, it doesnt have another position where it stops, it simply pushes in and spring loaded returns to its original position. It has an S or a 5 or 6 stamped into the end of the button. Pressing it didnt seem to change anything during my attempts to fire the furnace, before during or after the ignition process. Also, its located in a place that is completely unreachable when the furnace is bolted into its normal resting place. When I reassembled the furnace I relocated this switch to a spot near the ignition circuit board that is accessible when the furnace is mounted in place.
31816946727_dab5a20bd0_b.jpg

31816935617_f16a1fb0d2_b.jpg

Furnace assembly with fan/shroud removed.
39793292803_5b30e385f6_b.jpg

Burner assembly and electrodes, before I adjusted them. Hard to tell the depth from this picture but the tine on the right was 1/4" + away from the other two. I adjusted them so all 3 were 1/8" from each other.
46033682084_0d00642321_b.jpg

Gas valve assembly intact but with the + and - removed from the electrodes.
46033679584_0e2982b14c_b.jpg

Gas valve assembly partially disassembled. Magnetic "switches?" removed from the shafts that open/close the valve/s...I think. Going pretty far out on a guessing limb here. You can see the "switches" or "actuators" with their jumpers still connected on the right. Everything was very clean, the shafts spin smoothly in the assembly, the switches slid on and off the shafts with ease. Is it possible the shafts were simply stuck from years of sitting unused and spinning them by hand caused them to work again? Maybe. Similar to how whacking a starter causes it to work when it has dead spots? Maybe. Am I crazy and making things up? Maybe.
46758718171_d27deaec3a_b.jpg

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Cranking out more work every day! Fired up the fridge and it works great! First try too. Only took about an hour for the fridge and freezer to start getting pretty cold. I think it would be down to normal operating temps in about 3 hours. Drove on the highway and the pilot went out which was expected. Thankfully the safety's still work, no leaks when the pilot went out. Just need to extend the drain pipe, for some reason it looks cut, could have just broken off. Also I left the propane on all night last night(with the battery removed from the camper) and it did not leak at all. Not a trace of propane smell in or around the camper this morning when I checked. Also picked up the foam for my mattress today and started trimming it to fit. This weekend is going to be a lot of sewing!

46044749854_8c5eda291a_b.jpg

46044746634_6e5e9d27c2_b.jpg

46044749824_d3dfc8ddfd_b.jpg

BajaSurfRig

@Atl-atl are you going to try and run the fridge on propane while driving?

I have the same fridge that works great on propane while parked but my pilot goes out while driving. I am hoping for a solution that will let me run it while driving....

Atl-atl

Adventurer
@Atl-atl are you going to try and run the fridge on propane while driving?

I have the same fridge that works great on propane while parked but my pilot goes out while driving. I am hoping for a solution that will let me run it while driving....

From what Ive seen no one has figured out how to get the pilot to stay on while driving. I have no problem turning the fridge on the night before I leave on a trip and having it off while driving. It will stay plenty cold even if Im driving for 12 hours, especially if packed with food/beer.

UHAULER

Explorer
From what Ive seen no one has figured out how to get the pilot to stay on while driving. I have no problem turning the fridge on the night before I leave on a trip and having it off while driving. It will stay plenty cold even if Im driving for 12 hours, especially if packed with food/beer.

I had a Northstar camper that I would run on propane all the time, its's gone now so not sure what fridge it was, but I believe there are ways to deflect/sheild the pilot light .

kerry

Expedition Leader
Earloin this thread is a link to another thread about installing a relighter in a propane frig which will relight it if it gets blow out while driving. People report success. I installed one on mine a few weeks ago. Haven’t driven it yet so I can’t report the results

Atl-atl

Adventurer
I had a Northstar camper that I would run on propane all the time, its's gone now so not sure what fridge it was, but I believe there are ways to deflect/sheild the pilot light .

Earloin this thread is a link to another thread about installing a relighter in a propane frig which will relight it if it gets blow out while driving. People report success. I installed one on mine a few weeks ago. Haven’t driven it yet so I can’t report the results

@kerry thanks for the reminder about the relighter infro from @craig333

I read through all 6 pages on WTW about the relighter mod. The one question that doesnt seem to get answered is, when driving on the highway for extended periods of time, how does a measly 9v battery keep up? If the flame keeps blowing out for 12+ hours of driving and the relighter is constantly sparking, the 9v is going to run out of juice. It doesnt make sense to me. I can see using the propane to cool off the fridge the night before your trip, then shutting it off and not running it again until you are parked. Or even running on 12V (from the truck while driving) if you have a decent alternator/battery setup. But trying to keep it actively cooling using propane while driving seems overkill to me. I rarely camp for more than 3 or 4 nights though, so I dont think its necessary for me to ensure the fridge is running constantly. Im not worried about food going bad or beer thats 20 degrees warmer than it should be. I usually drink whiskey neat anyway!

If anything makes sense to me it's simply making a wind block for the lower fridge vent panel. I might try this temporarily next time I put the camper in the truck. One good point from the WTW thread that never crossed my mind was making sure the pilot flame is off when you go to the gas station!!! I will be adding a note on my pre-trip checklist to turn off the pilot as the last thing I do before pulling out of the driveway to leave!

How do the fridges work in modern campers? Are they more efficient electric ones that don't use propane? Two way 12v/120v only?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I tried multiple variations of a wind block with little success. I too am curious about how long a 9 volt battery will last. I suppose the relighter could be wired in to the 12 volt system. I don’t know if the extra 3 volts would screw it up. I doubt it There are very efficient 12 volt compressor drugs available. I own a couple. They are not as simple as a propane frig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700