Project daily driver 1991 4Runner

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
This weekend the wife and i went and picked up this 91 4Runner. Currently I drive a 06 Jetta TDI but it has had electrical issues and cost us way to much in repairs, I wanted to get something I could work on myself and was 4wd. We had a 93 XJ and while I could work on it, it needed a lot and just didn't feel right, so i sold it and promptly bought this 4Runner.

specs:
1991 4Runner
22RE
5-speed
3" (or 4) lift
33" tires
4.88 gears
ARB locker in rear but needs a compressor (have not verified locker yet)
sun roof

I had planned on putting a header in it and a new radiator but it already has a Doug Thorley header and a new radiator in it. So i will catch it up on maintenance with a full tune up, replace all the hoses, change all fluids, verify the locker and if so add a compressor, add dual batteries (more than likely in a custom box where the spare is currently located), tire carrier rear bumper, winch/bumper front, big 3 upgrade, higher output alternator.

wu1OzKy.jpg

jDfJgLe.jpg

planning on repairing this and getting some seat covers
I6q2JPB.jpg

back seats in good shape
puqumFW.jpg

onto the rust spots, while its not horrible, they do need addressed
g9WhmX3.jpg

htRdWxt.jpg

PVVbWOa.jpg

xowkzuD.jpg

EZDtznW.jpg

Zs7zChi.jpg

NnMaOlY.jpg

somebody has already been into the AFM, and there are 3 different types of fasteners loosely holding it together and the piping is cobbled together, i am going to get a cold air intake and build a heat shield for it.
1dm3xbH.jpg

1dm3xbH.jpg

new radiator
rHoqsT9.jpg

i am not surprised it has a power steering leak, even though it is not directly coming from right here
rRfFjlK.jpg

and i thought this was mud caked on until i took my knife to it and yup, more rust. so far it looks like the frame rust is isolated to the front, i need to look at the frame again but the rest looked ok. so i am going to hit it with a wire wheel, cut as needed and weld in some new steel.
4AwcrxW.jpg

Smileyshaun

Observer
great rig had almost the same thing just with grey interior , really miss that thing some days . I'm going to make a suggestion of my person experience, when I got mine it already had a two and a quarter inch catback and drove really well I decided to put a Doug Thorley header on it also and the combination of the two was great at higher RPMs but I lost some MPGs and mid-range power. I stepped the exhaust back down to a 2 inch mandrel bent from the cat back and regained all my midrange power . It may have just been my 4Runner but I ran that same combination on a couple other Toyotas I've had and always had very good luck with pulling hills without having to downshift 3 gears .

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
thanks for the input, i will look at what is on this one, i know it still has the cat but have not really had the time to go over it with a fine tooth comb yet.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
my UPS and Fedex drivers are not going to like me next week, they will be at my house every day according to tracking numbers.

tune up stuff
140 amp alternator
cold air intake
winch
new dipstick from LCE
wiring harness for the alternator
latch from McMaster-Carr for the swing out

still need to order a power steering cooler but i need to look at available space with the auxiliary fan in front of the A/C condenser first

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
took it in today to get the one busted wheel stud replaced and a front end alignment (pulled hard to the left), they said they helped the alignment but he couldnt complete it due to the idler needing replaced. so i brought it home (now it veers to the right pretty good) and ordered more parts for it today, idler, pitman, tie rods, and found my steering leak, its the box itself so i ordered a reman box for it.

verified it does have an ARB in it, the bulk head is still in the housing but someone must have cut the hose when they pulled the compressor, now i need to look into how to clean the locker or what needs done since who knows if there is mud or dirt in there. i ordered a Viair compressor and an air tank for it, along with some other little things like USB ports and flush mount LED's for the rear bumper.

digging around in the cubby's in the back i found this
gnbURvy.jpg

bHxK27c.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
parts are starting to roll in, not really much of an update but the old dipstick wasn't sealing and was just flopping around, while it may have been fine it was only about $20 for a new Toyota OEM dipstick from LCE.

2pOJVJN.jpg

my cold air intake also showed up and i got it mocked up but the elbow coming off the intake is not long enough so the cross pipe hits the sling hook. i am either going to look for a longer elbow or just get a piece of pipe to extend it out towards the core support. by the time i got that far into it, it was dark.

RobD

To fix the driver seat tear in my 1991, I bought a passenger seat that was in good shape. I swapped the foam and upholstery over and added heaters to the seats in a couple of hours.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
To fix the driver seat tear in my 1991, I bought a passenger seat that was in good shape. I swapped the foam and upholstery over and added heaters to the seats in a couple of hours.

i have thought about adding heaters to them

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
by tomorrow all the big items should be here (the 4runner is full of boxes), i will still need to get the small stuff (belts, wire, fluids). As luck would have it though i fly out sunday for a week in Dallas for work, i wonder if my parts will be thinking of me while im thinking of them lol.

Arktikos

Explorer
Nice that you got the 22RE and 5 speed. Why are you going with a lift and 33" tires for a DD? Looks like it has some large mudders already.
The big rubber, tall profile and heavy bumpers= real dog on hills. How many miles on the 4 banger?

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
From what I was told the engine has 70K on it, the body is about 325K. The 33” tires with the 4.88 gears brings it back into stock range. I don’t have a lot of hills on my daily commute to worry about.

eblau

Adventurer
these are great offroad with 33 10.50s and a locker, no lift needed! I wanted a 4cylinder back when i had mine but could never find one

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
these are great offroad with 33 10.50s and a locker, no lift needed! I wanted a 4cylinder back when i had mine but could never find one

ya ive had a few toyotas and loved them all

Gone:
1984 pickup
1983 pickup
1982 pickup
1986 ext cab
1996 4Runner (3.4)

Have:
1987/85/94 4Runner (87 body/85 chassis/94 drivetrain)
1991 4Runner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier