Project Budget Beater

98dango

Expedition Leader
Not that I needed another project but. My scout is taking for ever in the middle of the om617 swap and well its not going to be done this season. So I drug this gem out of the field.

1332904491300.jpg

She is a 1984 chevy light duty 3/4 ton. Currently sitting on a gm 10 bolt and semi float 14 bolt (soon to be full float). God running tried and true 350 sm465 4speed new prosess 208 t-case.
She is stout Drug her out of the farmers field almost a year ago it had sat there 10 years. I pulled both fuel tanks replaced fuel necks and rubber lines and pump to get here running. Once running the power steering pump and hoses started to leak so I found the parts laying about. Then it was time to address the old weather checked tires. We dug around and found 4 matching rims and chrome rings 2 matching older gm wheels and 6 235-85-16 coopers with fair tread. Now this all sounds easy but a full weekend was used up to get her running. Then the first road trip to town to fill both tanks. Then the 20 mile trip to town went off mostly with out a hitch. On the way back I hear a thump sound but pay not attention the closer I get to the house hum alt gauge is dropping. Wip up the the shop to find the belt gone. A quick walk down the hill finds an alternator and belt laying in a old parts truck snatch up both and on my way.

Now the real test We live in Cody Wy and the truck is at my buddies house in Gillette Wy. This is about 250 miles apart we can take I90 no fun or back road it all the way. Well being In for an adventure we set out at 7am having to be at work at 12. Leaving this early we should have plenty of time. Opps then i missed a turn and up over the big horn mountains we go. I know this rout but it adds time. Taking the mountain passes at 65 in a truck sitting for this long on its maiden voyage is risky but lets do it. So my self in the truck and Trinda behind in the impalla we head up from Buffalo Wy. After finding out i can corner way faster than she is comfortable with we slow the trip. Stopping half way to check berrings and temp's we find every thing in great shape. Continuing with the trip we find our way to Worland Wy and then finaly Cody at 11:45 am 15 mins to get food and in the door to work.

Plans in my head are a 4" lift to get the center up and um use it allot. I dont want to spend much money as well I have 3 other projects going at this time and this truck is just a fill in, But I do love driving her she just rolls down the road.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Never had a plan to swap the axels.

I plan on 4" of lift via either a kit or 52" springs up front and a flip out back. Just cheap and simple for this one. My sonoma and scout get all the cool parts.
The first thing is to bed liner the bottom keep the rust out.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
What a great :Wow1:project Dango! It reminds me so much of my own truck it hurts..... Those old Chevys are tough as nails, easy to fix,and parts are cheap and available. Keep us updated with your progress and post lots of pics.:)

98dango

Expedition Leader
Oh that well the semi float is half blown up and I already own the full float so its free :wings: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Today was Gauge day. Only factory gauge that works correctly is the speedo. The fuel gauge will do for now. So I swapped the stock gauges for some cheap Equies 1 1/2 triple gauges in the stock location. The temp oil and alt gauges I could not trust.

Ill post up pictures in a lil bit

Balzer

Adventurer
I love to see old GM's get some love!
-
HOWEVER! You better plan on changing those gauges again. I have twice tried to use those cheap Equies and they are not accurate at all. Both times they worked of for a little while then started to read wrong.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I will keep an eye on them. I also installed then in the Oreilly parking lot. My better half works there. So if i have even one small glitch they will be taken care of right away.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Went up in the hills for a quiet lunch with my Lady. The truck did just fine but rides like S##T. It has new shock all around but the springs are sagged out so bad up front. So I will be swapping in 52" front's and doing a shackle flip out back.

Ill have some pictures up tonight. Just to prove it dosent live at the parts store. Or dose it

Balzer

Adventurer
Those poor old GM trucks with their inverted front springs have a tendancy to sag and bottom out.
Your plan sounds pretty good. I havent actually done 52" fronts but have rode in one, they do ride pretty good built that way.
And we do need more pics LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94