Project Brooke: 1999 XJ

bldeagle10

Explorer
I will look into that, I can get the 4.2 crank and rods at a junk yard really cheap in my area, when I was going to just do a stock rebuild, the guy who builds our race car motors said he would put mine together for free, I don't expect to pay much for what little machine work needs to be done, I am going to port and polish the head and intake myself.

I will price out all the parts and see which one will be cheaper. before I start the build though I am going to do a ton of research and talk to my machinist about getting the right quench. shouldn't be too bad, he is a pretty brilliant guy when it comes to motors.

thanks for the info

bldeagle10

Explorer
getting to be time to revive this old thread.. have my first stable job in well over a year, and I have a dead jeep to rebuild. will have cash in two weeks for a motor, so in the market for 97-99 4.0 with 0360 head, low miles, running, anyone have any leads for one in AZ let me know. hopefully I can start posting progress soon! I miss this place. feel out of place though without Brooke running, just demotivated me.

bldeagle10

Explorer
found motor, scraping together funding.

Edit: bought motor, its from 98 Grand Cherokee so need to swap XJ parts onto block and head. so I will tinker around and do what I can, out of cash till the 30th

need a few gaskets, motor mounts, tranny mount, muffler, registration, emissions testing, tranny kick down cable.. all I can think of for now

Last edited:

bldeagle10

Explorer
I have severely abandoned this thread and I hate it..

*Update*
I was in and out of work, I was MISERABLE at my last job, my quality of living was pretty low and I decided the money wasn't worth it. You only get one shot at this life and I want to live every moment I can happy.

I'm finally in a stable job I can stand. I'm a driver at autozone (yay for employee discount!) Brooke has a new motor sitting in her. Wiring is hooked up, just need to button up a few odds and ends, flush ALL the fluids and register her. Had some issues with living arrangements.. Had a falling out with some family so life was put on hold but I learned a lot and plan on moving forward in high gear. I pick Brooke up this Tuesday and start to finish her up! Hope yal are interested in seeing where Brooke and I take each other in life!

bldeagle10

Explorer
She has a face again! Dropping the fuel tank tomorrow and buttoning up a few other things under the hood.

I'm getting excited. I miss driving her. She's been sitting so long a lot of stuff has degraded. Mostly plastic stuff like the grille and headlight bezels, etc. will need new ones eventually

bldeagle10

Explorer
Well, I can't understand why people use that tapia talk crap, I can't find my own thread on there. Type in the exact name of the thread and it pops up with a million threads that aren't even close...

Messed around with the steering box. In the middle of wire wheeling out in the heat for 10 minutes at a time, then back inside for 20. Screw phoenix....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 29

bldeagle10

Explorer
Ordered 0"-3" lift shocks for the rear, going to eliminate the bar pins as well which will add another inch. Tired of the rear air shocks leaking. I was getting bummed out that it was looking so low, then remembered the air socks, aired it up and it lifted about 5"

Next will be s10 "bastard pack" leaf springs and v8 GC coil springs with possibly adjustable coil over spacers.

docwatson

Adventurer
How much lift are your going for and what leaves do you plan on using from the s10 pack? My last jeep I put a s10 bastard pack in and with just the main leaf achieved 2.25" of lift, a pleasant ride, and a significant in ability to carry weight.

bldeagle10

Explorer
In total I would like 3"-3.5" aiming for 3.5" but would be content with 3". From what I saw of other people experiences with bastard packs, I would be using the full S10 pack with just the Cherokee main leaf cutting the eyelets off the s10 main spring. This should get me to what I desire. If not I have lift blocks on now that are 2" or I can make up the rest with shackles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles