Project: Blanco, The 2007 F350 Standard Cab Adventure Truck

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Air cleaner upgrade.

An air filter change on #ProjectBlanco this morning. The stock 5.4/V10 filter on the 05-07 Superduty is frankly kinda lame. I run variations of Donaldson Powercore filters on most of my vehicles and have had great performance from them. After a bit of digging, I found that Ford offered a Severe Duty air cleaner upgrade for 99-04 trucks with the 7.3 Powerstroke that has a very large version of this filter. The 99-04 trucks are close cousins to my later version, and the filter housing has a similar outlet, so I hunted down a dealer overstock discount of this upgrade in the hopes it would work on my truck. Make sure to shop around, these intake packages seem to be $50-150 different in price from various vendors.

The part number for this conversion is Donaldson/Ford AIS intake system, FA-1759
The replacement filter, available a lot of places including amazon, is Motorcraft FA1757

The biggest hurdle was that the gas engine uses a MAF sensor while the diesel does not have provisions for that in the box. The final solution was to cut the tube off a factory V10/5.4 lid and sand it down to make a MAF tube. You will also need a short 4.0 to 3.63 reducer to go between the new air box and the MAF tube. Make There is about another inch of tube inside the air box lid, so don't cut things too short. Keeping all of the factory tube length, should make the MAF signal as close to stock as possible.

I did have to drill a few holes for clip nuts, cut down the fresh air inlet tube a bit, form the inlet tube around some PS cooler lines with a heat gun, trim a corner of the stock fender bracket, and make one little adapter bracket to support the front of the box. I didn't have to buy any additional hardware and used all the clip nuts included in the kit along with one of the old bolts and clip nuts from the factory air cleaner mounting brackets.

This OEM+ grade filter assembly, that normally feeds a powerful air hungry turbocharged diesel, should provide much much better filtration and service life for my little V10 3-valve. The best part is that it looks pretty much stock!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Nice mod. I ran that filter system on my ‘02 PSD and in over 60k miles, I never had to change the filter. It never moved the filter minder and all I would do is remove the filter; blow it out and re-install it.

Jack

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Nice mod. I ran that filter system on my ‘02 PSD and in over 60k miles, I never had to change the filter. It never moved the filter minder and all I would do is remove the filter; blow it out and re-install it.

Jack

Good to hear. With my smaller V10 air pump, the filter will probably outlast the rest of the vehicle!

I have had VERY good performance out of these filters in my old Flatty and the #LX45. A little tap-tap to remove any big chunks is all they have needed for a long long time. I think the one in the flatty is 8+ years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz