Project "Autonomous" F-350

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I have one, you definitely need some sort of solid mount for it. I poured a 3'x3'x 4" concrete pad, and it still moves when you get cranking on it.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I have one, you definitely need some sort of solid mount for it. I poured a 3'x3'x 4" concrete pad, and it still moves when you get cranking on it.
That doesn't sound too encouraging. :( I have beadlocks so the hardest part is just breaking the inner bead. The rest is pretty easy.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
That doesn't sound too encouraging. :( I have beadlocks so the hardest part is just breaking the inner bead. The rest is pretty easy.
For breaking the bead, you probably don't need something so robust, since the force is downward. A pallet may do in that case. The HF tire changer may need reinforcement in the bead breaker arms - mine hasn't bent yet, but I've seen many others that have. I did, however, bend my lever using the bead breaker.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Besides needing a solid mount, are you happy with it? I've been interested in buying a similar set up.
I've been happy with it for the most part, but it definitely doesn't replace a commercial unit. Most of my use has been for lawnmower tires, and dried up rollers for my Willys Jeep. I've changed up to 33's with it.

There's some definite upgrades that I would say need to be made to get the most use out of it, and are well documented other places. Off the top of my head, the big things are: the hold down "star" piece should be swapped for cones, $40 on ebay. The pry bar is weak and marrs aluminum rims. Several companies make improved models. Lastly, the breaker bar could use some reinforcement.

Overall though, I'm happy with it for casual recreational "off road tire" use.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
For breaking the bead, you probably don't need something so robust, since the force is downward. A pallet may do in that case. The HF tire changer may need reinforcement in the bead breaker arms - mine hasn't bent yet, but I've seen many others that have. I did, however, bend my lever using the bead breaker.
Thanks for your advice! I will see what happens as soon as I thaw out.

IMG_20230120_120605135 copy.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I haven't posted about the camper shell I am building. I just could not find something that matched my needs so I built my own. It has been another learning curve. I would not do it this way again. I am using thin plywood glued and riveted to aluminum angle for the most part. It's been a challenge to figure out the correct sequence to attach the walls together into a box, and the wood went through some movement when the weather got damp. A couple walls became potato chips. Thankfully they straightened out as it got drier. This box does a couple things. One it allows me to sleep east to west; it's around 7 feet wide. Since the bed is on a platform, it gives me the full footprint of the bed so I can haul a full size spare, tools, and supplies. It is also tall enough to almost stand inside. Another thing is it's very light. I haven't weighed it, but right now it's less than 100 lbs. :cool: I am trying to get it done before Expo West.

IMG_20230421_152110458 copy.jpg

IMG_20230421_152126261 copy.jpg

IMG_20230421_152138938 copy.jpg

Wilbah

Adventurer
Well done! My uncle always had Scouts and my parents had a Travelall. Not thrilled about the new ones being EV but it is what it is. Nice job and great pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles