Project "Autonomous" F-350

Wilbah

Adventurer
I just came up with a flatbed design. It would be a big tray mounted to the frame. Inside the tray would be an insert. Put the insert in one way and it's a flatbed. Flip the insert over and it's a tray inside a tray. The camper would sit in a padded recess and be held down by normal spring loaded camper tie downs.

View attachment 510488
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but could you mount the camper to the "tray" when needed, then when you dont want the camper on the vehicle remove it and then put the "insert" in place to give you the flatbed? (Rather than flipping the "insert", having that weight and mounting the camper to the "insert"). But maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Cool ideas being thrown around. With all the quality issues apparent from so many campers I wonder why more dont build custom, and also why more companies dont offer a modular based system that people could pick and choose their level of customization- i think it would sell very well.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but could you mount the camper to the "tray" when needed, then when you dont want the camper on the vehicle remove it and then put the "insert" in place to give you the flatbed? (Rather than flipping the "insert", having that weight and mounting the camper to the "insert"). But maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Cool ideas being thrown around. With all the quality issues apparent from so many campers I wonder why more dont build custom, and also why more companies dont offer a modular based system that people could pick and choose their level of customization- i think it would sell very well.

Yes. You could do that. Just thinking you might want to have the flatbed insert with you all the time. I have seen some nice custom campers with good build designs. The "standard" wood frame with siding design is pretty cheesy. One reason I bought this cheap camper was to dissect it and learn how they build them. The bits and pieces were worth the money I paid for it.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I went to unload the Lance today but the winds are blowing at 35 mph. Like most 4x4 trucks, even with my smallest tires mounted the jacks don't reach the ground. I had to unload it in the shop. I spent yesterday modifying my cable jacks. I made them taller, stronger, and upgraded to .250 cable. I used them to unload the camper.

I wasn't scared. I WAS TERRIFIED!!!

The eagle has landed. Thank god I had this table available. If I had to go all the way down it probably would have dropped. The camper started to do the wobble. You all now what that is right?

I will put the jacks on and drop it to the floor later.

Seabass

Idiot
Death wobble isn’t a term that’s exclusive to steering components!!!! I freaking HATE loading and unloading my camper. At present I’m seriously considering selling it...I think a tent will do just fine from now on.

Seabass

Idiot
Clutch went out of my 460 powered truck last Saturday. Naturally I had a new one Monday. Unfortunately I’m planting right now and can’t get time to put the new clutch in. So I can totally relate to your getty-ness over those seals. Cause I grin just knowing my clutch is waiting!!!! Luckily I’ve got the diesel to work out of in the meantime. And the utility cap is proving very handy.

I’m about as excited to see your old F-250 come together as some of my own trucks. It’s gonna be a neat truck.

You’ve been posting some cool picks in the gram by the way!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I got behind on battery maintenance and discovered a couple trucks here that got discharged. I went to top them up and my 2 year old battery charger was not working. I bought another brand charger 2 years ago. ? I should have stayed with Ctek. I fixed it now.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The battery out of the Bronco looks to be no good. Next is the Chevy Colorado's. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's ok. I bought that battery from a friend who has since closed his store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles