Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I know dirt. I've been getting plastered by it for many years. At the Vegas to Reno race we got "snowflake silt." It is a flake of dust that sticks to everything. #whyracephotoscostmoney

IMG_8117 webres.jpg

Mikes_Race_Photo_IMG_4717.jpg

Seabass

Idiot
ArmorAll the best dust magnet ever invented. No silicone based spray products in my shop. They contaminate everything.

I was being sarcastic. Maybe that didn't come out. I got a feeling He knows a thing or ten about keeping his gear in good and clean working order. I do got a buddy who uses Vaseline to slick his interiors up. I don't know how it is about holding dust- they don't feel sticky at all- and shines great. What do you like to use? I have a dust mop I use several times a week because I hate armorall because of 1: It does attract dust 2: Expensive! Sorry bout hijacking your thread Pappa.

Seabass

Idiot
Pappa- my 460 powered truck is a great ride....but the 20 year old vacuum lies are breaking constantly. It's getting annoying. Your thread is so long- but didn't you post somewhere that you replaced all the ones on your crew cab? What kind of hose did you use? And didn't you mention something about finding a diagram of what each was? I got a feeling I can do away with some of them. Thanks in advance!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Pappa- my 460 powered truck is a great ride....but the 20 year old vacuum lies are breaking constantly. It's getting annoying. Your thread is so long- but didn't you post somewhere that you replaced all the ones on your crew cab? What kind of hose did you use? And didn't you mention something about finding a diagram of what each was? I got a feeling I can do away with some of them. Thanks in advance!

I used regular rubber vacuum line. The plastic stuff will just dry out and turn to dust again. I can't seem to find the schematic I used. You can find them online or at autozone website.

Seabass

Idiot
Thanks! Sometimes just a point in the right direction is all that is needed. I'll check out the autozone website and get me a role of rubber line. It's the only complaint I have with my old truck.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I want to get a few of those, leave them laying around the machines and see how it takes people to figure out what they are really for. The ideas!!

People see it hanging around my neck and ask what the bomb thing is. I say you see this hole in the end? When they look I blast them in the eye.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Removed the water pump off the 460 today. So glad it was monsoon weather. Got it apart without breaking any bolts but I leaned over the core support and broke my phone that was in my pocket instead. The lord giveth, and the lord taketh away. I think I will replace the bolts, they were very rusty and they get torqued if I recall.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I didn't want to wait until Tuesday so I tried to clean up the bolts for the water pump. After hitting one with the wire wheel, I decided they are not worth reusing. They have deep pits in them. I may have to replace the pump again some day, don't want to risk a broken bolt on extraction or a failure resulting in a leak.

IMAG0392.jpg

Put a coat of Steel It on the pump to keep it looking good. I am painting everything with it.

IMAG0391.jpg

pricey

Observer
I didn't want to wait until Tuesday so I tried to clean up the bolts for the water pump. After hitting one with the wire wheel, I decided they are not worth reusing. They have deep pits in them. I may have to replace the pump again some day, don't want to risk a broken bolt on extraction or a failure resulting in a leak.

View attachment 416616

Put a coat of Steel It on the pump to keep it looking good. I am painting everything with it.

View attachment 416617

Ooh shiney! Going to have to track down that Steel It paint here in Oz. Looks the shiz

I recently cleaned up a bunch of stuff for my motorcycle using the old molasses bath - if you have trouble tracking down replacement bolts give it a crack for two weeks in a solution of 1/6 molasses. Worked a treat on an old motorcycle rack for me. Came up looking new (ish).

patoz

Expedition Leader
Why not just use a wire wheel on a bench grinder to clean up those bolts? You could be done in less that 30 minutes.

Just remember to wear good eye and face protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94