Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
It snows in the desert too. Just doesn't hang around long. Had some heavy flurries with huge flakes today, but it's almost gone now.

patoz

Expedition Leader
It doesn't snow in Florida very often, but when it does the cameras come out too!
foto2.gif

patoz

Expedition Leader
Here ya go, I'll share ours...

Pensacola Beach - 03.jpg

I don't know what the black in the corner is, I didn't take the picture.

UHAULER

Explorer
Just to keep this thread on track we have to talk about the truck project(going on 3 years) Can't wait till it is drivable.

Someday I might be a snowbird and head south for the winter :beer:

corona_ad_example.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Just to keep this thread on track we have to talk about the truck project(going on 3 years) Can't wait till it is drivable.

Someday I might be a snowbird and head south for the winter :beer:

corona_ad_example.jpg

It's like an iceberg. Many things are moving forward that cannot be seen above the waterline. I have a fresh pile of parts in the shop ready for the next plateau.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I came across this amazing coating that I wanted to try called STEEL-IT. It is a polyurethane with stainless steel flakes in it. Because of the stainless content, you can weld right on it. I am going to coat my truck frame with it but for now, I sprayed my warn winch bumper. I have had a hard time finding something that will stick to it without disassembling it and having it powder coated. That's another cool thing about STEEL-IT, it comes in a spray can. The trophy truck guys have been using it and I have gotten glowing endorsements. There is a video with a friend of mine on their website. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prg2pm29pNc and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLSHVQobHo I love the color, I think it looks great!

Last edited:

pricey

Observer
I came across this amazing coating that I wanted to try called STEEL-IT. It is a polyurethane with stainless steel flakes in it. Because of the stainless content, you can weld right on it. I am going to coat my truck frame with it but for now, I sprayed my warn winch bumper. I have had a hard time finding something that will stick to it without disassembling it and having it powder coated. That's another cool thing about STEEL-IT, it comes in a spray can. The trophy truck guys have been using it and I have gotten glowing endorsements. There is a video with a friend of mine on their website. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prg2pm29pNc and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLSHVQobHo I love the color, I think it looks great!

Looks awesome. My bullbar needs redoing on my Disco. Might look into this.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Teh_VIking

That is some cool paint, thanks for the link. I painted my bumpers with 2 stage poly and they have held up well. I hit my F250 bumper on something and pulled it right back out no cracks. Stock bumper of course. I also see your Falkens are looking like slicks like mine.

Dang You!! You are a trouble maker. I had already settled on using Rust Bullet (aluminum flakes) to coat the underside of my Bronco. It was hard enough to decide between POR or Rust Bullet and now you throw this one into the mix. I do like it and while they don't call it an encapsulator it does work the same as Rust Bullet just uses a different metal particle. Down here in the South I am limited to two times a years that I can use a product like this, Spring or Fall. Shooting for March or April to spray it.

Aerosol cans are ok for small areas but I prefer using spray equipment with quarts or gallons depending on the area being coated. Once you open a can it cuts into the shelf life of the whole can. Moisture is the enemy. When the cans are packaged at the factory the empty headspace is filled with dry argon to prevent premature curing.

Going to try something different for spray equipment. Rather than sacrifice my good spray equipment or buying a cheap HF spray gun, I am going to try a Wagner MotoCoat HVLP system. Monstaliner and Rust Bullet, both have been tested and approved Wagner system. I would imagine the Steel-It could be used as well.

How many aerosol cans did it take the coat the bumper and did you coat the backside as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles