Project "Autonomous" F-350

patoz

Expedition Leader
I always keep three days worth of supplies in my truck at all times, including serious medical supplies. Plus, I have an A.R.E. camper shell on it so it can provide shelter also.

Chorky

Observer
HAHAHAHA @ Hillbilly Heaven. Just one pack?! What about a bucket? haha

Well said though. Its interesting how many people travel unprepared. I currently know a friend and his gf who are traveling to Alaska for summer jobs - in a 2wd car, with no supplies other than stuff they are moving with for daily life for the summer. No recovery gear, one small spare, no fuel tanks...and a car at that. Will they be fine?....probably, but you just never know. I also know someone else who is soon doing the same deal and was questioning if he should bring extra fuel cans - to me, that's a no brainer. But he was debating 2 5gal cans due to extra weight. I guess if you never plan to go off pavement and stay on main roads.

Its funny that frequently I am more or less poked fun at for having so much gear and being prepared for the majority of possible situations - but then who is the one they all call when crap goes south? hmm........ I'm glad theres more of you out there who also have similar thoughts in being prepared - just because your on a highway doesn't mean you'll have cell service, or have a near by parts store, or hospital, etc.... Even just a packed 'backpacking' pack is better than nothing. I'm constantly astonished at the number of people who travel cross country, even across town, without what I would consider the basic's.

On another note, nice pic pappa!! Looking forward to seeing more of your build progress!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Being a Firefighter my entire life (now retired) and an EMT most of that, being prepared is a way of life and it just comes naturally to me. During past hurricanes, I've had neighbors come to me and ask to borrow flashlights, extensions cords, ladders, hammers, duct tape, and many other things that I consider basic household items. Even before I went to work for the FD in 1973, I learned a lot of this from my dad, who was also always prepared. It amazes me how these people can not know that they need to be prepared, and have these items stored in their homes and ready to use.

Younger people are not self reliant like we were growing up, and still are. They have the, 'I'm entitled and someone will do it for me...' attitude. Boy are they going to be surprised when the SHTF!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I got an engine to go in my Baja Brick truck. One of the worst things about running a 460 is the fuel mileage. The engine is a stump puller and totally reliable but when you have to cover huge distances, it's a gas hog. Lately I have been finding myself short-shifting and generally trying to hyper-mile everywhere I go. If I am offroad I am typically going slow and the 4wd gears are plenty to get anywhere I need to go. Keeping the theme of the truck as basic, and simple (cheap!) I picked up an engine and trans for 300 bucks. The engine is very reliable and is used to this day in all sorts of industrial uses. Some of you will already know where I'm going here but it's a ford inline 6. I had hoped to find a 300, but a rebuilt 223 for 3 bills was too hard to pass up. Will the truck be under powered? I think it's safe to say yes, but I'm not looking to get anywhere in a hurry. If I can get another 5 or 6 miles per gallon it will increase my range quite a bit. I will be adding a clifford intake, attaching my quadrajet carb to it and installing a header. I need to work out adapting the T-18 trans and fabricating some motor mounts but you just can't get any simpler than one of these old engines. Thoughts anyone?

MRP19791.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
I see a yucky carb thing sitting there!

Will be under powered, especially by modern car standards (a Toyota mini van will have way more HP) but if your willing to work with it it will be fine. My only concern is being low on HP, and asking that motor to move a big truck may equate to similar MPG's as to what your currently getting....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am not for sure but I think I-6 Fords have a small block bellhousing bolt pattern. I have put in a info request to my Bronco friends that have done the 300 swap. Oh and if you want to hypermile invest in a vacuum gauge. Eventually it will become 2nd nature driving at highest vacuum reading.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Quadrajet is a good choice for that setup, small primaries mixed with a light throttle foot will get superior mileage to the same driving with a carter or a holley, and a four barrel is even better than a two barrel for mileage, if you keep your foot out it! Had a 250 inline 6 in my blazer with a carter four barrel that got about 10 mpg on a good day, swapped the carter for a quadrajet and went to 12.5 consistently!
Happy motoring!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am not for sure but I think I-6 Fords have a small block bellhousing bolt pattern. I have put in a info request to my Bronco friends that have done the 300 swap. Oh and if you want to hypermile invest in a vacuum gauge. Eventually it will become 2nd nature driving at highest vacuum reading.

Those are the later 300 engines; this motor is the early 223. I plan on making an adapter plate to bolt the T-18 to the stock bellhousing. A vacuum gauge sounds like a good idea but I might get obsessed with it. o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior