Project "Autonomous" F-350

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
i want

i would love your camper, but i dont think it would work w/o some modification, the bed on my 03 dodge is way narrower at the back than at the front, too narrow for the older fwc's. is the kesystone a bit different in that aspect since it comes past the tailgate? on a seperate topic, what gear ratio are you running in your axles and are you still happy with the falken tires, its about time to replace my 37" mtr's. thnx

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
i would love your camper, but i dont think it would work w/o some modification, the bed on my 03 dodge is way narrower at the back than at the front, too narrow for the older fwc's. is the kesystone a bit different in that aspect since it comes past the tailgate? on a seperate topic, what gear ratio are you running in your axles and are you still happy with the falken tires, its about time to replace my 37" mtr's. thnx

If you measure the back of your bed I can see if it fits. I am running the stock 4:10 gearing. Yes, I am very happy with my Falkens. I have considered going with the MT when my tires wear out; by then I might know if there is a mileage penalty with the more aggressive tread pattern. Everyone I know who runs the MT's are racing them in the dirt.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Some of you may be sick of my steering system posts but the whole truck has to function correctly. I promise I will be working on the camper box soon. Anyways, I was a little nervous about the extra forces on the sector shaft of the steering box now that I am pushing the pitman arm with ram assist. I wanted something reliable and cheap so I came up with this.

I made a double-ended nut to bolt the pitman arm to the sector shaft making sure both nuts were concentric.

IMAG0527.jpg

The nut gets bolted to the shaft

IMAG0530.jpg

Then a gently used heim joint (so it does not bind) is bolted to the end of the double nut.

IMAG0532.jpg

Now I just need to build a mount that attaches to the X-member to support the heim. Since the ram is mounted to the X-member I will come off the same X-member with the mount; taking the forces in shear. The ram will be pushing against the same X-member instead of pushing from the X-member to the frame. :smiley_drive: I got some of this inspiration from a truck featured in Crawl Magazine. It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one thinking outside the box. :box:

Last edited:

HARDWARE!

I think your thoughts are spot on with the shear forces but I don't think a rod end is the right choice for the application it needs to be something with a bearing in it that can be lubricated ?it will spin every time you turn the wheel that's a lot of movement. Keep up the great work awesome project!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
It's just a pivot, it will not see any kind of rpm's. I have heims on the steering shafts too.

15a_Copyright_Mikes_Race_Photo_IMG_8169.JPG

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
DONE! I had Lance from Performance Vehicle Plumbing come out and plumb the power steering system using AN -6 hoses and fittings. I also replaced all the vacuum lines that disintegrated. I need to check the toe, articulate the front axle to verify proper clearances and then do a final loctite and bolt tighten on everything. :bike_rider:

Aluminum radiator, new belts, hoses, vacuum lines, belt tensioner, fan clutch, battery, 200 amp alternator, cap, rotor, brake master, clutch master,new plug wires and brake lines to be installed.

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
Your rig just keeps getting better. I'm stoked to see what you end up doing with that custom camper box. It'll be awesome sweet I'm sure. You'll have to give a report on how the steering handles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Blank slate

669 cubic feet.

There is already a light fixture where the toilet will go.

Trying to figure out where the side entrance will go.

New cassette toilet

New suburban propane range top

Composite propane tank

Tankless water heater

35 gallon freshwater tank

Windows

:chowtime:

Seabass

Idiot
Every time I see Pappa's rig I get jealous. Now that I see that nice pile of parts it's even worse....Lookin good Pappa.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I have spent countless hours doing research and seeking out deals. I am putting this together on a shoestring budget. I ordered my cassette toilet from England saving me $400. The propane tank was an ebay find. They make a limited amount of 31 gallon composite tanks each year. Retail they are over $300, I paid $160 for mine. If I had a million bux, I would be on the road by now.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Any rough floorplans???

Only in my brain. I am going to extend the over cab section towards the rear to fit a queen size mattress. The space underneath will house the water tank and plumbing. I want to maximize open floor space so the cooktop and sink will slide out like a drawer from the same space. The toilet will be mounted against the side opposite the entrance door. I will have an open shower area with a drain in the floor. A shower curtain will be pulled back when not used. I am thinking of building a closet that sits over the cassette toilet. When the toilet needs to be used the closet will slide out of the way. I want to create a porch on the back but trying to figure out how to do that, carry my spare tires and keep the uhaul ramp to load bikes in the back. The roll up door will be replaced with some type of hatch and swinging doors similar to graynomad's truck:

I would love to have a pass-through to the cab but have several hurdles to accomplishing that. I still need to figure out what to use to insulate and clad the walls and ceiling. I want something light and easy to clean. The box is very roomy inside, I just need to be smart about using space to save as much room as possible. I will be working inside and don't want to feel cramped. I'm not interested in something that looks like a home inside; I want compact packaging and function above all else.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94