Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Great build! I love the OBS's, and 37's on a nice mild lift is very sweet. Great job on the steering (I'll build something like that someday, still rocking the crappy Dodge y-link with no steering box brace or stabilizers gets a little hairy sometimes...), nothing beats a good straight tie rod and drag.

I can't remember but I know I saw a thread somewhere where a guy used a Uhaul box on a Sterling chassis-cab truck, turned out really nice. I've got eyes on this thread!

Keep us posted!

Yes, That was an incredible build, great inspiration!

I've always toyed with the idea of a Uhaul bed. Have you weighed it? Any guess as to weight?

The hardwood floor seems like its HEAVY. But they are built pretty decent it seems

I have not weighed it yet. The construction of mine is fiberglass reinforced plywood walls with aluminum corners and an aluminum bed floor, no hardwood, (until my interior decorator gets in there, LOL). Guessing by the weight of the tailgate, the stock bed is probably 350lbs. The pop-up is close to 1000lbs. If the box weighs that much or a little more I am in good shape. The heaviest thing I will be adding is the 35 gal freshwater tank. The interior will be minimalist; my cassette toilet is light, I have a two burner stove top, on demand hot water heater and 31 gal composite propane tank. Still trying to keep enough open space for my mountainbike.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Yes, That was an incredible build, great inspiration!

I have not weighed it yet. The construction of mine is fiberglass reinforced plywood walls with aluminum corners and an aluminum bed floor, no hardwood, (until my interior decorator gets in there, LOL). Guessing by the weight of the tailgate, the stock bed is probably 350lbs. The pop-up is close to 1000lbs. If the box weighs that much or a little more I am in good shape. The heaviest thing I will be adding is the 35 gal freshwater tank. The interior will be minimalist; my cassette toilet is light, I have a two burner stove top, on demand hot water heater and 31 gal composite propane tank. Still trying to keep enough open space for my mountainbike.

Ah very cool! I have not seen one with an aluminum floor. Thats a score! All the ones for sale around me were 2x6 hardwood.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Ah very cool! I have not seen one with an aluminum floor. Thats a score! All the ones for sale around me were 2x6 hardwood.

The entire bed is extruded aluminum. The only thing that worries me is how to keep the slide out ramp and still mount my rear winch.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I would like to replace the rear roll up door with something like on Greynomad's truck:

19133.jpg

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
Pappawheely- I swore I've seen somewhere posted on this site that you have a shackle reversal on your front springs? I've looked at a lot of projects on here so it could be someone else's truck- but something looks different about your springs in one of the pics you posted. If you did- was it worth the expense and work? What brand did you use or is it custom fab work? Just curious. I'm always thinking about the next thing to be done. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Pappawheely- I swore I've seen somewhere posted on this site that you have a shackle reversal on your front springs? I've looked at a lot of projects on here so it could be someone else's truck- but something looks different about your springs in one of the pics you posted. If you did- was it worth the expense and work? What brand did you use or is it custom fab work? Just curious. I'm always thinking about the next thing to be done. Thanks
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is nothing I would recommend more than a shackle reversal and custom leaf springs. I have a shackle reversal kit from Sky's Offroad Design and custom leaves from Atlas Spring. My truck rides SOOOO GOOOD! Anyone who has driven an F350 knows it rides like a padded brick. I also drive a prerunner with 18.5 inches of suspension travel front and rear so I have been spoiled with a cushy ride. The shackle reversal takes out all the harshness from the front end. I had a Jeep years ago with the same front mounted shackle design and it rode like crap too.

If you think about it, when you hit a bump with the front end the natural movement to absorb it is up and to the rear. With the shackle in the front, no rear movement is possible. All that force goes straight up into the frame causing the front end to bounce. In rough terrain you better hang onto the wheel because you will get launched. After the shackle flip it rides 200% better and the custom leaf springs are the cherry on top. I also like having an additional X-member since I have a winch mounted. F-350's are designed to haul payload. Since I am mounting a camper, I don't have to use springs designed to support 10 thousand lbs, I just need springs to support the weight of my camper. The overloads are removed and my Atlas Springs are as strong as I need but still free to move. The flex of the 37" tires, the balance provided by the Centramatic wheel balancers, the shackle reversal from SORD and the Atlas springs all work together to provide a ride that is better than most stock trucks I have driven. I drive my friends Expedition with air bags and I always think how much better my truck rides. Once I get some good shocks on it, it will really be plush.

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8695.jpg

IMG_8527.jpg

Last edited:

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
tires

how do you like those wildpeaks and how many miles have you put on them. i had a set of mtrk's on my jeep and loved em so i put a set on my dodge and im not impressed, im looking for a 37" all terrain with a tough sidewall. what made you choose them over bfg at's ? thanks

java

Expedition Leader
You think flipping the shackles made that much of a difference? My E350 conversion has them in the front and rides awful. Ive been looking at springs, but didn't think much of flipping the shackles.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
how do you like those wildpeaks and how many miles have you put on them. i had a set of mtrk's on my jeep and loved em so i put a set on my dodge and im not impressed, im looking for a 37" all terrain with a tough sidewall. what made you choose them over bfg at's ? thanks

I work with a couple rock crawling teams that run the Wildpeaks in competition and love them. One is John Currie and Gerald Lee who have won the everyman challenge at King of the Hammers three years in a row! I figured if they can hold up to that kind of abuse nothing I do will come close to hurting them. I spend time on the road, in the desert and sometimes mountain snow, the Wildpeaks work well in all. I like the looks of an aggressive mud tread but on a practical side I would rather have flotation and mileage. Another thing that was important to me was the weight rating. The Wildpeaks are rated at 3525 lbs ea. I am not sure how many miles are on them but I have been all the way from San Diego to Northern Nevada to Winslow Arizona and back.

You think flipping the shackles made that much of a difference? My E350 conversion has them in the front and rides awful. Ive been looking at springs, but didn't think much of flipping the shackles.

It's like night and day! Sky has two flip kits, one raises it 3" the other 5". I went with the 3" kit and the springs lifted it another 2. The whole package gives me so much confidence offroad. People are amazed when they ride in my truck.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
It's like night and day! Sky has two flip kits, one raises it 3" the other 5". I went with the 3" kit and the springs lifted it another 2. The whole package gives me so much confidence offroad. People are amazed when they ride in my truck.

Hmm Ill have to look at it then. Unfortunately the E350 frame is wider (AFAIK!) so the kit wont work, but im sure I can figure something out.

xbox73

Adventurer
You think flipping the shackles made that much of a difference?

Piqued my curiosity since I think my Excursion with 8" lift on 37 Toyo M/Ts rides pretty well. I knew my X had an all spring lift, with Bilstein double resi 7100s in front & single Bilstein 7100 non-resi smoothies + in-cab adjustable Firestone Ride-Rite airbags out back; but I just went & checked & my suspension leaf packs are fixed in the front, with the moving shackles in the rear, both front & rear axles (even has a nice heat shield protecting the passenger front axle rear shackle from the downpipe). If that's not stock, that's something that must have been upgraded by the original owner, when the rest of the suspension work was done.

Seabass

Idiot
Pappawheely- I did remember correctly. I'm very interested in that flip- but I'm gonna ride out my doubled up add-a-leaves for a while. I have plenty of clearance for my 315's- and with the weight of the diesel and the winch and bumper it rides surprisingly well. It's got a big bouncy ride- but I wouldn't say rough. My other 97 CCLB F-350 rides very poorly- but it only has a 351 for go power. I guess it's not enough weight to smooth it out. It even has a winch bumper (minus winch). At present I can live with what I got- but I doubt it's very flexible. I still need the truck to haul big loads on occasion so I don't want to go to light on the springs. Oh- and thanks for taking the time to let me know what you did. It's greatly appreciated.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I upgraded my diff covers to these heavy duty cast iron ones from solid industries. I took the opportunity to switch to fully synthetic Maxima gear oil.

IMAG0305.jpg

Sterling rear cover

IMAG0310.jpg

I ran the diff vent lines up high into the truck and capped the line with a cloth filter.

IMAG0308.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles