Project "Autonomous" F-350

Wilbah

Adventurer
I had an uncle who always had scouts and a buddy of his had IH pickups. My Dad had a Travelall. Great vehicles, a shame IH couldnt be successful. That one looks sweet.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The eagle has landed. My ************ neighbor John Lee helped me to move the truck box into the shop using metal pipes rolling on the ground. We used the Warn M10000 to make alignment adjustments on the box. We then jacked it up and put stands under it until we could roll the frame underneath. We had to roll it on bare rims, but tomorrow we weld it together, and then swap the tires back on! It's a 32 foot trailer now.

IMG_20191030_190844750.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
And there she is. A lot of work just to move something. Going to set the box on piers and remove the axles so I can build a nice car hauler with them. It will recoup some of my money. It would have cost more to have it hauled, and I'm not sure exactly where it will go yet. I might have to move it around a couple times. The box was free, I had the wheels and tires, the axles were $1200 and there is another $800 in parts and labor.

IMG_20191102_103803664 web.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
SEMA was brutal! I was there with ORBA and all I can say is that some exciting things will be happening in the next year. ORBA, Onevoice, United Four Wheel Drive Assoc., Tread Lightly, KOH, Mad Media and many others will be working together on several projects. After the show I met Chris Collard, and 1leglance on the lakebed for a photoshoot of Lance's van by Chris. It was nice to just sit back and watch instead of doing the work. Chris did an amazing job; so grateful that he contributes to the ORBA magazine The National Advocate. https://issuu.com/orba2019/docs/na_edition_2-7

IMG_0802 web.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Sorry but no pictures of my lunacy this time. I rented a 27 foot uhaul to get all my stuff that has been in Andy's shop for the last couple years. Damn I'm so tired. Engines, transmissions, transfer cases, parts, tools, raw material, hardware. I packed that truck full, and flat towed my uhaul behind it too. I figured I would drive at night to stay under the radar. CHP spotted me around sunset creeping through barstow. He just shook his head, but didn't chase me down. Got the road train to my lot and figured I would try to get down the road. Three washes go across the dirt road on the way. I went through the first wash with a little momentum, and it was easy. It had been raining for a couple days so the ground was soft. The second wash had some ruts so I took it easy. The truck slowed down and then the rear wheels spun and I stopped forward progress. Uh Oh! I got out but being so tired, I wasn't even perturbed. In the dark I was still able to see that the front wheels on my uhaul truck got turned to full lock; it was being an anchor. I turned them straight and the truck moved again. I figured that was enough excitement so I pulled up on higher ground and got some sleep. In the daylight I planned where I was going to put my uhaul, and went for it. I drug it up, unhitched it, and was able to get that big beast back to the road despite the ground being the consistency of fresh cake. Unloaded all the guts of the truck out at my storage garage. I wheeled in some rolling racks and then filled them with boxes when I loaded. I rigged up some straps, and a come-a-long to roll them right into the garage when I unloaded. It took some time, but it was better than a run-away. I still have a tool chest full of bolts laying face down in the garage because it happened to me before; I learned my lesson. First thing when I hit the lot in the next couple days is to see about getting the dirt moved so I can have a pad. There is another storm for next week that I can monitor the water flow so I know how much comes down the creek. The adventure continues...

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Waiting out a storm and then the final trip from the old shop. Off grid here I come. So glad I watched all those episodes of Gilligan's island in my youth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94