Project Alpha Bound II: Electric Boogaloo

concretejungle

Adventurer
Thats really nice! I'm about to re-line mine and i'm trying to decide on the type of product. There have been a lot of good results with the monstaliner

ab1985

Explorer
Thats really nice! I'm about to re-line mine and i'm trying to decide on the type of product. There have been a lot of good results with the monstaliner
The product is solid and so was the tech support on the front end with respect to the color match. I don't have experience with any competitor's products, but I would certainly use the monstaliner again.

ab1985

Explorer
No real pictures to show from Expo East. It was a total washout so my camera/phone stayed in my pocket the whole time. The two below were taken by one of the guys in our group.

I used my big Bus Depot awning on the back along with my make shift rain fly on top and stayed dry the whole time. The Hannibal awning I have is fine for shade and light rain, but it doesn't give me the coverage I need in truly inclement weather. Trying to figure out my long term solution. This is what I want, but I can't find a viable option here stateside: http://www.alu-cab.co.za/index.php/...cle-accessories/shadow-awning-detail?Itemid=0

With no real trips planned until the spring I'm going to continue focusing on the interior. I have plans for and have purchased the material to redo my storage bench with aluminum extrusions and lighter weight plywood. I will be moving it to the driver side along with the fridge (will go over reasoning at some later date). I've also sourced parts to make legit curtains, and I want to replace my sleeping pads up top with upholstered foam cushions (still sorting out options for this).

My cruiser is in the back in this shot:

373EB641-C51F-4191-A527-85BF386997E4_zpsabrmbzfa.jpg

Front view with the lined hood:

296E2CDB-13F8-4D43-A6EB-D3D76C4A0D02_zpskfu6bfep.jpg

mervo

Observer
Freakin alu-cab.... those guys and their instagram page kill me!

They definitely make some of the best accessories for any LC series. I actually asked them about creating a similar version of the Campteq as they do make a similar version for 70series, they said, and I quote, "80 series is too small." sigh.... I guess I'll continue to wish and hope and pray that someone else designs one, or Campteq decides to start producing again.

Your rig is fantastic, have you looked fabbing something similar to goosegear for the storage solution? I think Dave's Tacoma is pretty much the sexiest storage set up around. Just a thought. Half way down the page, I'm sure you've seen it before.
http://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/daves-at-flippac-thread.46/page-4

ab1985

Explorer
I'll be making the exact same box I have now configured for the driver side using 80/20 aluminum extrusions and thinner plywood. The design I have now is perfect for my needs. I'd be fine with replicating it in the same 1/2" baltic birch, but since I'm rebuilding to move to the driver side I figured I'd try something new. Advantages for me will be marginally lighter weight and a different finished look. The Goose Gear stuff is extremely nice but out of my price range. Although, from what I understand of the materials they use and the manufacturing process their price point seems reasonable.

concretejungle

Adventurer
lol that is crazy they said the 80 series market is too small... I"m going to assume here, but i would venture to guess that the 70 series is the only "line up" that is larger and more used for overland than the 80???!!!

ab1985

Explorer
I read that to mean the 80 itself was too small, in their opinion, not the market. If that's the case then I disagree. There is plenty of room inside an 80 series. Even keeping two seats in mine I've been able to travel comfortably for extended periods with two people and for shorter trips with four (two adults and two children). If they were referring to the market, they could be right. When the Campteq design was first showcased there was a ton of interest online, but when they went into production AND a steep discount was offered to jump start the business few actually bit.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'll be making the exact same box I have now configured for the driver side using 80/20 aluminum extrusions and thinner plywood. The design I have now is perfect for my needs. I'd be fine with replicating it in the same 1/2" baltic birch, but since I'm rebuilding to move to the driver side I figured I'd try something new. Advantages for me will be marginally lighter weight and a different finished look. The Goose Gear stuff is extremely nice but out of my price range. Although, from what I understand of the materials they use and the manufacturing process their price point seems reasonable.

If you're going to use 80/20, you can probably use 1/4" birch or thinner! The 80/20 is more than enough structure. For reference, I'm putting the finishing touches on a very tightly packed fridge/toilet cabinet in my van and the whole carcass is 1/2" birch standalone (glue & pocket screws). In my case, the thin case material was driven by space constraints, but I'd originally looked at either 80/20 or the similar 1" tubing that GooseGear uses. Fortunately, the 1/2" birch alone is amazingly strong once assembled.

I think 1/4" will fit right into the groove of 80/20, so I'd start there if I were going with aluminum framing.

ab1985

Explorer
Hi Herbie,

I'm using the Quick Frame not T-slot. I've been reading on a Sprinter forum and have also received direct feedback from people who have used it. It's probably not as strong as the T-Slot extrusions, but it's a fraction of the price so I'm going to give it a shot. Worst case scenario I will end up with a cut list for a T-Slot version. :D I'm using a mix of plain square as well as single and double flanged tubes. The flanges are offset by 1/4" which is perfect for the sides of the bench as you mention (I already have plenty of 1/4" baltic birch lying around). I won't be spanning lengths of more than 12" in load bearing sections - partially due to the way the drawer slides will mount inside - so should be fine. Because I sit, stand, and sleep on this bench from time to time it needs a sturdy top so I'll probably stick to 1/2" there. My current bench/drawer is entirely built out of 1/2" and I agree it is plenty sturdy. I'm repurposing the existing 1/2" drawer into the new bench and that should actually add some structural integrity to the whole thing (along with some additional screws in the corners to prevent separation of the PVC connectors).

mervo

Observer
lol that is crazy they said the 80 series market is too small... I"m going to assume here, but i would venture to guess that the 70 series is the only "line up" that is larger and more used for overland than the 80???!!!

Sorry for the lack of clarification, ab1985 is correct, Alu-cab said the 80 itself was too small space wise. They make it for the 70 series, and Defenders, but that's about it.

And regarding ab1985's comment about Campteq's interest online, but not when it came to making production happen..... that sucks. Eric should sell me the plans so I can make my own!!!!!! (although it probably wouldn't be nearly as good)

ab1985

Explorer
I just read through this entire thread, I really like the evolution and finished product.

Thanks, it's never really finished, but it works so well for me at this point that whenever I get enough time to work on it I just go camping instead. Time better spent. :)

A few of us on this forum were able to work with Alu-cab to get their Shadow awnings crated up and shipped stateside. Those should be arriving sometime this month which I am excited about. I have a driver side coming to replace my Bus Depot/Hannibal combo.

Pics from a quick trip a few weeks ago:

mervo

Observer
Is someone selling the shadow awnings stateside now? Or was this a group of guys that just put in an order?

I've been wanting one of those since the first time I saw one in Tanzania! (quite a roadtrip from SA)

ab1985

Explorer
This was just a group of us who put in an order. A fellow member here worked directly with Alu-cab to coordinate on our behalf. Rumor has it OK4wd will be their US vendor, so these could become available at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior