Project 1x1

toyrunner95

Explorer
So lots of progress coming soon. In fact my goal is to have it almost complete by the end of the next week. I just got it back from.fiberglass and I'm debating if I should rhino line it, or do a roll on. I dunno. But at any rate the camper should b done shortly! We r really excited!

Sorry about the text lingo, I'm on my Droid.

pods8

Explorer
You wording sounds like you sent it out for fiberglass? Did you just have it sprayed with a chopper gun/polyester resin or did someone do some actual layup work on it for you?

toyrunner95

Explorer
Yes I sent out the camper to be chopped. Its finished now and it works fantastic! It flexed just like it should with no cracks or binds. I'll see if I can't post a few pics.

rdraider

Adventurer
Bumpity bump bump bump! Pics?:sombrero:

FYI, check out my build under 'Home Grown Pop up', I had alot of the same requirements and i built mine differently than yours, but still ended up at $1000 spent.

toyrunner95

Explorer
ok so. It has been a year since i posted on this thread. i have had the camper for about a year and things have gone pretty well. I sent out the shell to get a fiberglass chop. it campe back waterproof and lightweight just like expected. Furthermore it worked splendidly on and off road. i have taken it through some rough terrain and some very rocky and uneven roads. it held up well. i have even seen the whole box flex and twist and so far no problems. after a year of it sitting in the weather i poened it up and found WATER INSIDE!!! i thought to myself where could it have come from. I am still trying to determine the source and i will get some pics up soon. but for now, here are some updated pics. not completely current but you will get the idea.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg005.jpg017.jpg018.jpg023.jpg034.jpg

toyrunner95

Explorer
here is the crowing jewl of my new truck. thats right! a 1987 chevy 6.2 liter CUCV!!! with my camper on top its the perfect expedition rig. low miles. decent milage. a detroit locker in the rear and a posi up front. turbo 400 trans. 35x12.5 bfg all terrains on 16in rims. once i get the light bar on and the air compressor installed it will be perfect.

124.jpg

toyrunner95

Explorer
So here is a major update to the thread. Over the past year the camper has done a teriffic job. I haven't used it much mainly due to the dodge crapping out and my search for a new truck. On to the good stuff

1. The leaks. I feared that it would leak through the Windows or the door or the roof vent. But to my suprise it didn't! what happened is the water had leaked in through the bolt holes that hold on the jacks. I assumed that it would drain and I was wrong. The damage is not catastrophic but still dis heartening. So I have to take it apart. Seal it. Then put it back together.

2. The storage doors. Since I was low on time I skimped on the door materiels and used leftover cd. I cdx. Well it warped. I planned on changing them and changing the table to dress it up a bit and make it less cheezey.

Sorry about the blog not being updated. Blogger is hard to use and a pita when trying to update. Also sorry for the lack of updates. I haven't had internet for almost a year so I'm useing my phone.

PHeller

Adventurer
I know this thread hasn't been updated for awhile, but I've gotta say, there are not many like it. This is a unique build, especially for the money.

One question though, for a full size truck, why not just buy a cheap used slide-in?

I'm doing some research for a small/light/cheap build for a Ranger which has a 6' bed and is only 4.25' wide. Do you have any links to help through a similar build?

toyrunner95

Explorer
well i know its been almost 6 monthes since ive replied but i havent had internet access where i live and im trying to buy a house and what not but i digress.

the main reason i didnt want a slide in is because 9 times out of 10 they are compleatly hashed. the inside smells like smoke, they leak, they dont work. up here in the north west unless a camper is well taken care of they arent worth buying.

but on the more plus side i have an addition to the expedition truck.

however on the negitive side my truck is having issues. the main issue is fuel. i know the 6.2 is nortorious for having fuel leaks. and a leak means air and air means loss of prime. so slowly i have been working things out. also it needs a power steering pump and the box needs to be re sealed. other than that the truck will be good to go.

so on to the good pics.IMAG0408.jpgIMAG0407.jpgIMAG0404.jpg

toyrunner95

Explorer
well after all was said and done, the final cost was about 3k. now there was 3 or 4 things that really ramped up the price. 1 was the door, i have an actual RV door. that ran alone about $400. 2 was the foam for the seats, since most of the used seats were trash, i opted to have some made, that was $600. 3 the fiberglass chop wasnt a big ticket item but it was $700. so there is over half of my cost.

now the basic shell of ply wood and 2x2s was only $500. super simple super light weight. 2 people could pick up the shell. it was about 250 maybe 300 lbs. i have yet to actually weigh the camper but if i did my math right it only weighs about 900 to 1200 lbs. Its not that heavy. i dont have huge water tanks, or a grey tank, or black tank, the heaviest thing in the camper is the arb fridge, its about 60 lbs empty.

you can difinatly feel the camper in the truck when you haul it but most of that is wind resistance.

If i had to do it all over again i would make the camper about an inch shorter. i didnt calculate for the 1/4" hinge and the 1/4" door frame so it hits the tailgate.

heres a few more pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20110617_200544.jpg
    IMG_20110617_200544.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 12

toyrunner95

Explorer
i will add however that i need to glass coat the shell. i found out last winter that when water sits in the side rails it has a tendancy to seep through the fiberflass chop. apparently its semi permeable. whoops! whioch reminds me i need to ratarp it for the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles