Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

I am also pretty late to the party, but I wouldn't be a true dad if I didn't congratulate you and your wife on your beautiful daughter. I have three boys and my littlest is a girl. The boys don't get away with much but dang that little girl of mine has me wrapped around her little finger, and she knows it.:eek:

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Little girls are for their Daddies. Congrats on your beautiful little girl, my kids are the biggest blessing my wife and I have ever received. There is something about the relationship between a father and his daughter, you are in for a treat my friend.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I am also pretty late to the party, but I wouldn't be a true dad if I didn't congratulate you and your wife on your beautiful daughter. I have three boys and my littlest is a girl. The boys don't get away with much but dang that little girl of mine has me wrapped around her little finger, and she knows it.:eek:

Little girls are for their Daddies. Congrats on your beautiful little girl, my kids are the biggest blessing my wife and I have ever received. There is something about the relationship between a father and his daughter, you are in for a treat my friend.

Thanks for the kind words! We are really enjoying her. Definitely the best gift we've been given! We were just talking last night that one year ago we had no earthly idea we would have a baby one year later. What a pleasant surprise it has been.

This morning I ran in to town to have the newly acquired K5 title transferred to my name and spotted its twin sister on a used car lot. I about broke my neck looking at it as I passed by. It is identical except this one has A/C, a chrome hub cap and an actual engine in the engine bay
histerical.gif
. This one is also in nearly perfect shape with zero rust. It can be yours for the tune of $4,995 says the dealer
rolleyes.gif
. Seems steep to me but I bet it could be negotiated down to around $3,500. If anybody is interest in its whereabouts let me know and I send you the dealer's info.

Attachments

• IMG_20130903_131350_637.jpg
    IMG_20130903_131350_637.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 49

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, I will step up and do you a solid. I have plenty of room in my signature line so I will buy the Suburban from you so you can add the Blazer to the sig line and the funds from Polar Bear will more than fund the build. I know I am generous but I'm a giver, what can I say :victory:

Glad to hear your girls are doing great! We had our little boy on Saturday. Life is good

Whoa, I missed your post on the last page. Congrats on the little boy! Something must be in the water lately with all these babies being born. LOL

Nah, not planning on getting rid of anything anytime soon. I am still fulfilling my classic GM truck hording fetish :elkgrin:

huntsonora

Explorer
Whoa, I missed your post on the last page. Congrats on the little boy! Something must be in the water lately with all these babies being born. LOL

Nah, not planning on getting rid of anything anytime soon. I am still fulfilling my classic GM truck hording fetish :elkgrin:

I know you wouldn't sell PB! I was just giving you a hard time

I'll be coming through Pueblo twice this week. I'll PM you and see if you'll be able to grab lunch one of those days once I figure out exactly when I'm heading to the ranch

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I know you wouldn't sell PB! I was just giving you a hard time

I'll be coming through Pueblo twice this week. I'll PM you and see if you'll be able to grab lunch one of those days once I figure out exactly when I'm heading to the ranch

Yeah, hehe….don’t think I could sell any of them unless you are interested in a 2013 Tahoe Z71?

Give me a PM as you head through Pueblo. I work from a home office and the wife went back to work so I am also Mr. Mom for another week until the little one starts going to day care. I won’t be able to leave for lunch but you are welcome to swing by and say hi.

In other news we ordered a 2014 Impala 2LTZ yesterday for the wife to replace the ’13 Tahoe. My little 4’11” wife is having a very hard time lifting the car seat into the back of the Tahoe. Can’t say we’ve really liked this Tahoe as much as the 2002 and 2004 we had before this one. I am no fan of the Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) coupled to the 6 speed auto. What a busy and jerky powertrain! It feels like the truck is constantly slowing down where you have to keep poking the gas pedal to wake it up then it jerks back to life. Very annoying!
This is what the new one will look like when it arrives around late October early November. White Diamond with the 19" wheels.
new-2014-chevrolet-impala-4drsdnltzw2lz-6468-10736144-1-400.jpg

This truck needs a home or is getting traded. It only has 8100 miles. If anyone is interested PM me.
8151977686_5efbb1df2d_c.jpg

I drove a new 2014 Silverado yesterday as well. WOW! I want one of those! I will say this, even with Active Fuel Management the new direct injected engines mode change from V4, V6 to V8 are seamless. You wouldn’t even know it is deactivating cylinders unless you watch the icons in the instrument cluster. Much better than how GM has the calibrations on the sequential injected 5.3's!

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
I drove a new 2014 Silverado yesterday as well. WOW! I want one of those! I will say this, even with Active Fuel Management the new direct injected engines mode change from V4, V6 to V8 are seamless. You wouldn't even know it is deactivating cylinders unless you watch the icons in the instrument cluster...

So when does the 78 K10 get one of these new motors swapped in then?? :bike_rider:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
How do you like the 6L80? I'm wanting to put one in my '70 K5 when I do an engine swap.

I actually really like the 6L80. I work for a truck manufacturer and for our light duty line of commerical vans we build for the package delivery industry we purchase GM Powertrain engines and transmissions to power them. We’ve built tens of thousands of vehicles with the 4.8L and 6L90 for UPS just since 2010, which the new 6 speed autos been very durable. Much more durable than the 4L60 and 4L80’s used before them. The 6L90 and 6L80 also have much lower 1st gear ratios than their predecessors. For example the 4L60 used in the older 4 speed Tahoe’s and light trucks had a 3.059 first gear where the new 6L80 has a 4.027. With that, the newer trucks with the 6 speed autos really don’t need deep axle gears. Our Tahoe has 3.42 and they almost feel too deep. I kind of wish I would have ordered it with 3.08 as the 3.42 gear set really make for a jerky launch (almost feels like 1st gear is too low). Some of the complaints I have with this Tahoe are not really with the 6L90 but more of the way GM has the AFM calibrations setup with working in conjuction with the 6L80. Way too busy and jerky. On the other hand, the new direct injection engines with AFM and 6L80’s run smooth as silk.

6L80’s and 6L90’s would make for great transmissions to swap into older vehicles. Keep in mind the TCM in now built into the valve body inside the transmission opposed to being a separate module under the hood so programming them can be a real challenge. I have not researched how the aftermarket is addressing programming when using these new 6 speeds in older vehicles. If you use an entire late model engine and harness it may not be that difficult though.

I have a 6L80 behind my 6.5 liter diesel and it shifts clean....:Wow1:
Hey Chili, I think you are thinking of a 4L80 behind your 6.5L diesel in your new/old Tahoe. The 6L80 and 6L90 are 6 speed autos that just came out a few years ago.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
I actually really like the 6L80. I work for a truck manufacturer and for our light duty line of commerical vans we build for the package delivery industry we purchase GM Powertrain engines and transmissions to power them. We've built tens of thousands of vehicles with the 4.8L and 6L90 for UPS just since 2010, which the new 6 speed autos been very durable. Much more durable than the 4L60 and 4L80's used before them. The 6L90 and 6L80 also have much lower 1st gear ratios than their predecessors. For example the 4L60 used in the older 4 speed Tahoe's and light trucks had a 3.059 first gear where the new 6L80 has a 4.027. With that, the newer trucks with the 6 speed autos really don't need deep axle gears. Our Tahoe has 3.42 and they almost feel too deep. I kind of wish I would have ordered it with 3.08 as the 3.42 gear set really make for a jerky launch (almost feels like 1st gear is too low). Some of the complaints I have with this Tahoe are not really with the 6L90 but more of the way GM has the AFM calibrations setup with working in conjuction with the 6L80. Way too busy and jerky. On the other hand, the new direct injection engines with AFM and 6L80's run smooth as silk.

You just hit on why I want to use this transmission. I'm building both my '70 K5 and '87 FJ60 for expo travel, and one of them will be taken cross-country. If I'm lucky, I'll even get to go to the North shore of Alaska and maybe through Canada, so I need something that's better on gas than 13 MPG. With a 6L80's 4:1 first gear, I can run a higher gear ratio than what I could normally get away with. Even better if I go with an Atlas TC instead of a circle-pattern NP205.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out what engine to put ahead of it. I'm keeping the stock 1/2 ton axles, though I'll likely upgrade the axle shafts. I want something as powerful as possible, but also economical and not so much I have to worry about breaking something. For a long time, I was wanting to use a 6.0 with 6.2 heads, but now that I think about it, the 500 HP range is probably a little too risky for a Dana 44/12 bolt. I'm light on the throttle, but BFE is a bad place to have an accident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94