Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Congrats on the Tahoe. We bought a 2010 Burb dos anos pasado and...cough cough...love it! Gets decent mileage for a large vehicle. :sombrero:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Added a set of Vent Shades today. I have these on the K10 as well and love them as with the windows cracked a bit they allow fresh air in but keep all the wind and noise out. Also been busy peddling extra parts on CL to continue fueling the project budget. Yesterday the old tires and wheels from the Polar Bear went to new home, which was perfect timing as I just ordered all of the parts for the NV4500 swap. Looks like the NV4500 swap will happen during the Christmas and New Year’s break. I can't wait to ditch this dump truck shifting SM465 and get some overdrive!

8198092472_0ae4dc3e8d_c.jpg

8198078926_d94889476a_c.jpg

My wife got a new camera so lookout, I’ll probably be a bigger picture wh0re than I was before. :elkgrin: This is Pikes Peak from next to the garage on super zoom. Too neat not to share although it would have better if there were some Antelope standing out there like they usually are.
8198086550_b817d773da_c.jpg

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
My wife got a new camera so lookout, I’ll probably be a bigger picture wh0re than I was before. :elkgrin: This is Pikes Peak from next to the garage on super zoom. Too neat not to share although it would have better if there were some Antelope standing out there like they usually are.

8198086550_b817d773da_c.jpg
Looks like a great camera... let's see some more of that picture whoring..
..of the K10. haha. Sorry. I love that thing too much. :wings:
Alright, I guess pictures of the Polar Bear will work as well. :coffee:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Picturing whoring is the best! Keep it up! I lived in Wellington from 1999-2001, just north of Ft. Collins. That view was very similar to the one out of my front yard as well. The front range is pretty amazing. That is great view to have when wrenching!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Here ya go. The Ventshade set part number is 94049. Even got you a hot link to Summit for some quick add to cart action :)

In other Burb news, parts are starting to pile up for the NV4500 swap. The UPS man dropped off a new Centerforce clutch and AA slave cylinder bracket yesterday. The AA bell housing and the internals (mainshaft, 5th gear, etc.) to fix the NV4500 I had laying around are all due in next week. Also plan on replacing all of the carpet during the swap as the transmission shifter tower hole will be moving too plus I give up on the year long quest to rid the interior of the dog piss smell.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
What?! You don't like dog piss smell? :elkgrin: Did you mean you are NOT giving up on it or you are? Take out the carpet! I can assure form very recent experience that it is LOADS of fun.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hehe, yeah…I am giving up on trying to get the dog wiz smell out of the carpet. :) Replacing it with all new ACC Carpet.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Parts parts parts

Looks like a NV4500 swap is about to go down around here. Still waiting on the new NV4500 mainshaft and 5th gear set. Should be here next week. :coffeedrink:

8236482836_b6b58d9813_c.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Well I know you really like the manual trans in your rigs.....BUT
with a little one on the way the ease of an Auto will be a welcome thing as you juggle the bottle, pacifier, hand over a toy and such :)

But then again if you are busy "shifting" then you have an excuse to make the wifey do all that!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hehe, I doubt the little one or momma would be riding in the Burb or K10 anytime soon. Probably a few years down the road for sure. The Tahoe and Silverado will be the baby hauler. LOL Heck, momma doesn’t like to ride in the Burb or K10 now. Last time she even drove the K10 was over 10 years ago when we still lived in Detroit. She has never even driven the Burb and only ridden in it twice over the year we’ve had it. :snorkel:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Larry, I COMPLETELY forgot you told me you had a Posi-Lock system. Whaddya want for it? Are they fairly easy to install? My thermal actuator is done.

Looking forward to the tranny swap!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, I COMPLETELY forgot you told me you had a Posi-Lock system. Whaddya want for it? Are they fairly easy to install? My thermal actuator is done.

Looking forward to the tranny swap!

Yeah, I forget I have it too. I got to figure out where I stashed it. Take $100 including a free ride to your house. Let me fish it out tomorrow and snap some pictures of it. I’ve never installed one but it looks easy enough. It is like having manual locking hubs but from the convenience of locking and unlocking from the cab. The kit looks really high quality. The cool thing is you can get 2wd low range with the kit which is handy for backing up trailers and what not.

I am looking forward to the trans swap too! The archaic SM465 is like driving a dump truck around town then on the highway you can practically hear the pistons swapping holes without having overdrive.:rolleyes:

98dango

Expedition Leader
The burb is looking nice. I also see congratulations are in.order. May all thing be well with you and yours during the most beautiful time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles