Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

xpndbl3

Adventurer
i have rear a/c and rear heat. Although when the truck came from california when I bought it the rear heat wasn't hooked up. In chicago we definitely need all the heat we can get, so it's hooked back up.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Doesn't LMC carry matching interior colors you can spray on? They do for Dodges. :sombrero:

Probably, but the old A/C cover had huge holes cut into it for speakers. No need to buy paint when one finally popped up in the right color. :sombrero:

Got the front door glass, vent wing and rear door windows tinted yesterday. This should help the interior from becoming so UV damaged around here.
8139660728_7dcb16bdaf_c.jpg

8139629965_bce3fbc053_c.jpg

Got a big box of goodies on the way from LMC to replace door seals and a few other odds and ends.

You’re a luck dog xpndbl3 to have both heat and A/C

tuckernielson

Great looking burb. Thanks for posting lots of pictures... It makes stealing ideas from you that much easier.

Seriously though, Thank you

xpndbl3

Adventurer
You're a luck dog xpndbl3 to have both heat and A/C

oh no with the gen 3 motor swap I don't have A/C anymore, but when the truck was stock I had both A/c and rear heat. Hoping to put on some conversion brackets and figure out a/c sometime next summer though. Just going to cost $1300 or so to do.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
oh no with the gen 3 motor swap I don't have A/C anymore, but when the truck was stock I had both A/c and rear heat. Hoping to put on some conversion brackets and figure out a/c sometime next summer though. Just going to cost $1300 or so to do.

Yeah, that is the bad thing about stuffing an LS engine into a pre-GMT800 truck, the A/C compressor has clearance issues at the RH frame rail. I am glad to hear you chose not to hack up your frame like so many other LS engine swappers have done (and even some uninformed 8.1L swappers). See, you should have gone with a real engine like an 8.1L where there are alternative OEM brackets from medium duty trucks and RV chassis that mount the A/C compressor up high like they should be.

Just razzing you :sombrero:, LS engines are great swaps outside of the A/C interference issue. The good news is these guys (and probably a few others) have cobbled together brackets to move the A/C compressor up high on LS engines to address the frame clearance issue. Is it these brackets they want $1300 for? I am not fond of S&P approach to LS and 8.1L swaps as I think they do some sketchy methods and over complicate things sometimes but they do have a few nice pieces available for engine swappers.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The rear pinion seal started leaking on the Burb the other day and made a mess all over our driveway so I got fed up with it and traded it off on a new Tahoe today. I'm sick of working on old junk! The dealer even gave me $2000 trade for the Polar Bear, which I thought was a fare deal.

8151966982_006c0f4021_c.jpg

Hehe, just kidding :sombrero:. We ordered this for my wife a while back and it showed up Wednesday. We took delivery of the Loco Mocha Hoe today. 2013 is the last year before the questionable body style change and unproven powertrain changes in 2014. Had to have one of the last proven ones!
8151966222_5520f211bb_z.jpg

8151949221_246efed055_c.jpg

8151977686_5efbb1df2d_c.jpg

The rear pinion seal really did start leaking on the Polar Bear the other day though but it was a quick fix to replace the seal. :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Funny guy! I think the boss will feel more at home in the Loco Mocha 'hoe than the bimmer. Besides if you were crazy enough to even think about trading in the Polar Bear I'd be the one with first dibs at the shop. Plus the bear was no where to be seen this morning at the shop! Congrats on the new ride. Looks like you might have to annex some more land for a much needed expansion of garage space!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Larry, you were really pulling my chain when you said that you had traded the Polar Bear in on a new truck and only :Wow1:got $2000! I am sure you know what you are doing keeping the boss happy with a new ride. That is good thinking. Now maybe there is more leeway for your projects from `upper management´ Cheers, Chilli.:) Ow, did i say that the `Burb´looks great? I guess i did not have to.....

88Xj

Banned
Damn I loved this build! Can't wait to see whats done to the new rig.
I woulda payed over 2000 for that burb lol.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Damn I loved this build! Can't wait to see whats done to the new rig.
I woulda payed over 2000 for that burb lol.

Hehe, trading the Polar Bear was just a joke. :elkgrin: I still have it! The Loco Mocha ’13 Hoe is the wife’s new driver. No mods will happen to the Hoe, it is the family truckster, grocery getter & mall crawler. About the only thing late model GM 4x4 trucks and SUV's are good for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles