Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

warwgn

Explorer
And I am no suspension expert by any count, so thanks for correcting me on short side forward.

Willy, I get it on the shackle flip pushing the axle forward some, it does change the geometry by lowering the rear of the spring but not adding any length to the front so it would rotate the pinion up a little and move the whole axle down amd forwad a bit. I agree with Larry in that it should not be very noticable though.

Last thing how much did it affect the driveshaft angle and did it make the slip in the shaft go in or out more? I am curious be ause if mine rides too bad i will want to put the stock springs back on and go shackle flip.

Willy G

Adventurer
And I am no suspension expert by any count, so thanks for correcting me on short side forward.
Willy, I get it on the shackle flip pushing the axle forward some, it does change the geometry by lowering the rear of the spring but not adding any length to the front so it would rotate the pinion up a little and move the whole axle down amd forwad a bit. I agree with Larry in that it should not be very noticable though.

Well neither am I, and I am just used to seeing this picture, and it relates a little, but not as much. Sorry for any confusion.
69lifted-01chevy.jpg
Hijack over

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks tuckernielson!

Finally got around to mounting the rear bumper this weekend. Not a rear bumper most people would probably use but it is a factory GM pickup rear bumper and the price was right plus a rear step bumper makes it easier to crawl in and out of the back of this thing. This bumper also beats the heck out of the stock Suburban rear bumpers that wrap around the corners that are only good for caving in rear quarter panels with even the slightest of bumping. Also took the Q78 Super Swampers/white OEM wheel combo off for a while as I don’t want to wear them out just cruising it around town. For the time being I moved the well-worn 315 all terrains from the K10 onto the Suburban to run out the rest of the life on them.

All it needs are lights on top and a few crosses in the windows and it would look like an Ambulance! :xxrotflma
8110519049_17987b93c7_c.jpg

Okay, where is that guy that said my rear springs were installed backasswards? Looks much different in a straight side shot, especially with shorter tires doesn't it?? :elkgrin:
8110529374_71dfcc58d9_c.jpg

8110523387_fb64919ebd_c.jpg

How it looked last October the day I brought her home
6315467326_f0724c4b9b.jpg

6319386129_53ae4745cf.jpg

Planning to have the front driveshaft built and have the front windows tinted this week, then after that it is time to move efforts to the inside. I’ve been driving this thing for a year without a radio or 12 volt accessory power (Cig lighter is missing the complete power wire). If all goes well, a NV4500 5-speed will go in around Decemberish too.

warwgn

Explorer
I am glad you fixed the springs!!!!!

HA HA HA, so it was the picture angle just like you said. It is looking great, and the choice on rear bumper is fine, it can be eaisly modified for all kinds of stuff, I am actually looking for one like it to serve as a starting point for my rear bumper/tire carrier.

Keep up the pics!!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Got a few piddly things done to the Polar Bear today. It got front shafted and ridded it of the rattily hack job speakers the previous owner installed in the rear A/C cover. After several months of boneyard surfing, my favorite junk yard finally got a Burb in with the same color interior that I was able to swipe the rear A/C cover from.

Getting real anxious to ditch the dump truck shifting SM465 4-speed viewable in this picture for a NV4500 5-speed, but until then at least it is a 4x4 again. The shaft has been fitted with some fresh joints big enough to make Bob Marley envious.
8129363578_100820d404_z.jpg

Somewhere along its 23 year life span someone hacked up the rear A/C cover and did a horrible job of mounting a set of cheap speakers back there. After months of searching I finally found a donor Burb with the same color interior to pirate the A/C cover from.
8129337033_46e7ae9664_z.jpg

Much better! No more rattley bang bang now. Almost like a virgin again :costumed-smiley-007
8129363074_c31b9bdc1e_z.jpg

The Polar Bear has a date with the window tint guy Monday to get the rear windows and front glass done.

warwgn

Explorer
Nice, I wish I had rear A/C. How well does the factory set up work, is it loud, does it heat to? I have the AUX heater but want A/C.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That is funny, mine has rear A/C but no rear heat. I wish it had rear heat more than rear A/C! :snorkel:

Yeah, the rear A/C works pretty well and will turn your ears into ice cubes in short time on the occasion the blower motor decides to work. Still need to work the gremlins out of the rear A/C blower motor next summer. It all looked good today but it does make horrible noises once and a while. It may just need a rear blower motor being I didn't see any obvious problems under the cover today.

warwgn

Explorer
Hmmmmmm, I have been trying to decide if I wanted to go factory or grab the unit and head liner out of a newer model Suburban and put it in. I have seen someone who has done that and it looked clean and fit the roof really well, and of I did I wou keep the heater too.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yeah if you want rear A/C, pilfering a system, lines and headliner from a donor would be the way to go. Definitely keep the heater though. Come to think of it, I don’t recall seeing a Burb at the boneyard that had both rear heat and A/C??...and our local yard is well stocked of square body style rigs.

Eventually I may incorporate the rear heater from this G-Van that I scored a few years ago. G-vans and Suburban’s had a lot of common goods back in the day so it may be an easy retro outside of color matching the interior covers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne