Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I probably won't see you at Expo in 2013 as my wife planned a family vacation too close to the Expo so I won't be able to take the time off for both. :(

Double What the *******
That is so not cool.....I understand but still not cool :)

We are going to suffer from some sad stomaches without you there Larry. But don't worry we will be happy to rub in what a great time it was :)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer

Double What the *******
That is so not cool.....I understand but still not cool :)

We are going to suffer from some sad stomaches without you there Larry. But don't worry we will be happy to rub in what a great time it was :)

Hehe, we’ll see. We get back from HI the weekend prior to the expo. If I can make it, it will be a quick trip and no time for roaming around AZ/UT before or after the Expo. I had a blast this past year and really want to go back again every year. Bill and I are looking at doing Death Valley and the Mojave Rd when he is on spring break sometime in March. We'll keep you two clowns posted on that.

Keep me in the loop on what you and Bill will be doing in March. DVNP and the Road are in my "backyard". I can be just as big a clown as anyone! :sombrero:

pacman

It is actually a Corvan, which is a plain-Jane striped down Corvair panel van. The Greenbriers were the top of the line passenger vans. None the less, no huge plans for it other than to just restore it to original condition, squirrel it way in the garage and occasionally drive it around and take it to car shows. Maybe use it to haul the dogs to the vet, Lowe's/Home Depot runs or something. Funny, it has one option….a factory chrome tissue holder under the dash! LOL No plans to sell it though, it’s been in the family too long.

Very nice! Love those things, and the Rampsides too!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Behold! Finally got some work done to the Polar Bear that is post worthy.

Removing the rear spring shackle brackets. I find it easier to cut the rivet head in half then use an air hammer to knock off the rivet halves then beat the rivet on through the frame. Unfortunately, my air compressor was dying so removing these rivets still turned out to be an all-day event.
8065044913_bb385f60c2_b.jpg

ORD shackle flip brackets mounted and the old 9.5” semi-floating axle pitched in the iron pile.
8065046582_9cd1c96584_b.jpg

8065047680_5ba755d389_b.jpg

As the 10.5" 14 bolt full-floater was going in.
8065048121_3ccf20a641_b.jpg

All buckled up and ready for some tires
8065051053_23984be02a_b.jpg

One thing I need to redo is replace the drop pitman arm in exchange for a raised steering arm. I had a 2” drop pitman arm lying around that I thought would suffice, but no dice. It steers horrible……In fact, it barely turns left before the draglink smacks the leaf spring.
8065055498_b708bf6904_b.jpg

Nice butt!
8065056669_7aa3c977fe_b.jpg

To my surprise, it actually sits level. Coloradobill and I need to fabricate some rear bumper brackets next weekend to mount the rear step bumper. Even with a step up in tire size the change in gear ratio to 4:10 (from 3:42) did give the big bear a noticeable amount of oomph at the bottom end. The step up to 13 x 3.5 rear brake shoes/drums gave it a noticeable bump in brake power as well.
8065052049_587a61ff8b_b.jpg

That’s all for now. Next up is hanging the rear bumper then I need to get some tunes in this thing. Been driving it for a year without a radio.

warwgn

Explorer
I hate to say it but it looks like you have your springs on backwards, notice your rear wheels sit to the front of the fenderwell, if you turn your springs around it will center your axel up.

Willy G

Adventurer
Thats just how the shackle flip kit works, warwagon, I am thinking about doing this to my 68, but when I do I will probably will put a flat bed on there

warwgn

Explorer
The shackle does not position the axle, the spring is supposed to mount the longer half to the front of the vehicle which has a fixed mount. The length of the front part of the spring is what determins where the axle sits.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I hate to say it but it looks like you have your springs on backwards, notice your rear wheels sit to the front of the fenderwell, if you turn your springs around it will center your axel up.

Negative, I don’t think Steve Wonder and Helen Keller working together could bolt the springs on backwards. Plus the fact I NEVER took the rear springs off the truck.

Shackle flips noticeably push the axle a 67-72 GM trucks, but not even noticeable on a square body style. What you are seeing is the angle of the picture. Look at this picture before the lift, the angle of this picture also makes it look like it is pushed forward. I’ll get a better side view picture when I get a chance. Thanks for your criticism by the way? :rolleyes:

Before, the picture angle make it look like the axle is forward here too but it is not.
7916967584_c99f8a4292_b.jpg

warwgn

Explorer
Dont take it wrong not criticism, you are doing great work and I love it. It may be the angle of the pic, but the good thing is if not it is an easy fix. A simple check too just measure from the center of the axle the the center of the bolt in the spring and the shortest measurement should be to the rear.

Great looking rig and your work is very well done, and lile you say it is prolly the angle of the pic.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Dont take it wrong not criticism, you are doing great work and I love it. It may be the angle of the pic, but the good thing is if not it is an easy fix. A simple check too just measure from the center of the axle the the center of the bolt in the spring and the shortest measurement should be to the rear.

Great looking rig and your work is very well done, and lile you say it is prolly the angle of the pic.

There is no need to worry about measuring for an easy fix, nothing is wrong. You’re actually backwards with your measurement procedure. The shortest end from the center pin on a GM 56” spring is always to the front. If not, the axle would be set back 3”. If anything it wouldn’t hurt to scoot mine back .5” to maybe 1” at most with a zero rate, but the short amount the shackle flip swings the axle forward does not bother me.

warwgn

Explorer
Cool. I never knew there was a short or long side till I did my lift. I did an all spring lift on mine so it wen straight down but rides stiffer for sure. At any rate picture angle or whatever it is gonna ride amd work just fine, actually ride really good from what I hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior