Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Well, I ran across this Suburban on Craigslist late Thursday night and I knew that I had to have it. I could barely sleep that night thinking about it in anticipation to call the guy first thing Friday morning and wondering how I was going convience the wife that I need another toy.

It is a 1989 V2500 Suburban, 5.7L, SM456 with rear barn doors and only 132,000 original miles. When I saw it had a manual transmission in the CL add my eyeballs about popped out of my head and the rear barn doors were a bonus (I don’t care for the tailgate with the roll up window on Subs). You won’t believe what I paid either. $1500! Actually, $1496.35 as I found a few bucks in pocket change when I took the interior apart for deep cleaning.

As usual with a rig of this age and price it isn’t without issue. It needs a clutch, the windshield is badly cracked, the steering column is wobbly as hell (typical loose tilt mechanism situation that these Saginaw columns are famous for), stereo is missing and it has a severe lean to the left due to a sagging LH front spring plus it was filthy dirty! None of this is a big problem as I have a good used Centerforce dual friction clutch that I took out by my K10 last year when I did the NV4500 swap. The lean isn’t an issue either as I have a pair of left over 4” front leaf springs from the K10 as well. Probably do a ORD shackle flip on the rear. I bet I already spent 20 hours since Friday night cleaning this thing. It is turning out nice though! The biggest disappointment is the fact it has 3:42 gears no biggie as I will be swapping in a 14 bolt FF soon but wasn’t planning on regearing the front. Looks like I need to find a pair of axles now. It has a couple small surface rust spots but they will come right off with a DA sander then touch it up with touch up paint. Nothing major.

When I do the clutch I’m planning to kill two birds with one stone. Just yank the engine to replace the clutch and give the engine a makeover (paint, tune up, new sensors, gaskets, water pump, etc). It probably will get an 8.1L and NV4500 someday as I still have a few laying around but for now I am going to run with this TBI 5.7L and deal with the priorities first (fix issues, lift it, address the rust spots).

Here is the CL add. Surprised he hasn't cancelled the add yet. http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2648457425.html

Let the fun begin! My wife named it the Polar Bear.

6315465500_0b3ca820d1_b.jpg

The underhood light even works! :lol:
6314950123_472ae7ab0a_b.jpg

6319382289_f1cfab6d4f_b.jpg

Ah, YES!! Manual trans :Wow1: Picture taken after a major cleaning.
6319903712_8f01ea33f2_b.jpg

6319909880_030ac5071c_b.jpg

ExpoMike

Nice Burb Larry. Great find and if it ends up anything like your other truck, it will be drool worthy. :)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
good looking suburban you got there man! what did you clean the carpet with?

Thanks!

I first sprayed the carpet with Simple Green and scrubbed the heck out of it with a scrub brush until it was a lathery mess. Then I sprayed Tide liquid laundry detergent (w/bleach) with hot water through a Bissell Green Machine. With having dogs in the house I found laundry detergent works better for cleaning carpet than carpet cleaner actually does. Funny when you accidently find your imposition works better than the real thing. Works great! The carpet and door panels are nice and clean now. Really soft to the touch too after it dried. I cleaned the engine with Simple Green as well.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Got the steering column all fixed up. Wow, it was really jacked up. All four of the tilt housing support bolts (the 4 Torx head bolts in the pictures below) were completely backed out causing the steering shaft ball bearings to fall out of the bearing cages in the upper tilt housing assembly. Then some idiot glued the multifunction switch lever in so I had to cut it off and replace the multifunction switch. Good thing I kept the steering column out of that 1990 G-Van I parted out a few years ago , as I had to pirate a lot of parts from it. Also used the G-Van steering wheel as it was cleaner and in much better shape.

It’s all back together now! Next order of business is to get the windshield replaced and start taking apart the dash to clean everything and replace light bulbs in the cluster. Going to order up some more Superbrite LED’s like I installed in the K10 last year. Those work great!

I forgot to mention that while cleaning it I found a receipt from Big O Tires where the guy just bought $720 worth the tires for it 5,800 miles ago. :)

6326702693_4966a9b0c2_b.jpg

6327451962_f9064b7d4f_b.jpg

6327452532_015d5592da_b.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Got a few things done to the Polar Bear Saturday. Pruned the rattly nerf bars off, removed the rusty center caps, cleaned the wheels, painted the hubs, removed the aftermarket cruise control that didn’t work, fixed several vacuum leaks on the engine (idles smoother now too), removed the EVAP canister and painted the grill and radiator support. Next order of business is to get the new windshield installed, rip the dash apart to clean up the previous owners under dash wiring mess, clean the gauge cluster and replace the bulbs with LEDs then get ready for the clutch replacement.

I drove it around town quite a bit this last week. WOW! The TBI 5.7L takes some getting used to after being accustom to driving a square body style truck a 425HP 8.1L on tap backed by a much smoother shifting NV4500. The 5.7L, especially with 3:42 gears, feels like 4 cylinder. I almost forgot what a gutless truck feels like.

I always liked the grills of 89-91 square body rigs
6341673809_36f8757dc1_b.jpg

Looks much better without the nerf bars. Can’t wait to get the 4” lift on it!
6342422970_f9e5e4d0f3_b.jpg

6342422292_dab17db328_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior