Production numbers

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I've been trying to find estimated production numbers for the Grenadier - does anyone have any confirmed numbers of how many they're aiming to build each year?

I think it will be a great platform, but if they're only going to build 5k a year I don't see the aftermarket going out out of their way to design products for them.

-Dan

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Hi All,

I've been trying to find estimated production numbers for the Grenadier - does anyone have any confirmed numbers of how many they're aiming to build each year?

I think it will be a great platform, but if they're only going to build 5k a year I don't see the aftermarket going out out of their way to design products for them.

-Dan
What type of aftermarket would be most in demand on one? I think it’s a vehicle most would leave alone.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
What type of aftermarket would be most in demand on one? I think it’s a vehicle most would leave alone.

I'm just thinking about the needs of a long term overlander, a few things come to mind:

- The front dumper does not have radiator protection - I wouldn't drive around the world without it.

- A roof rack (is there a factory option?)

- Additional fuel and water tanks

- A dual tire carrier (I don't want one, but it will be a hard sell in Australia and Africa without it)

- More "bar work" on the outside to protect the fenders, etc. (Again, I don't want it, but for Aussies it's a must)

- I have no idea what the skid plate situation is

-Dan

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I agree that lower radiator needs protection. In looking at the undercarriage, it’s going to be tight. I’d like to see an OEM tank replacement and an aux tank, but there will be challenges

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Does the gear shifter look totally out of place in that interior or is it just me? I think they should have that stayed with the aviation theme- a simple stick with a switch on it.

alanymarce

Hi All,

-Dan
www.carscoops.com notes "Ineos has said before that in order for the Grenadier to prove profitable, they’ll have to achieve between 25,000 and 35,000 units sold on an annual basis". Most businesses assume 5 year business plans so this would imply at least 125,000 units to achieve profitability in the first 5 years.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Are you talking about Canada or ??

In North America I think this will be a fringe vehicle. Touted as a utilitarian worker I doubt it will sell well given our propensity to like leather and air. Yes it has upscale options but I cannot see it outselling the Mercedes option.

Who is selling it, is it thru the BMW dealerships, is this a brand new marquee ??
The BMW straight six makes me think good luck finding service.
There are plenty of similar 4x4s which have been sold forever.

Where are you planning to take it Dan?

I was thinking more global production numbers, just trying to get an idea of how many of these will be built, and therefore what the aftermarket support would be like.
Servicing is global through Bosch around the world, likely it will have more parts and service support globally than everything after the 70 series LC and the Defender.

As for thinking it's the same as 4x4s that have been sold forever, you need to look at the payload for starters.

I'm aiming to go everyhwere in the world I haven't been yet.

www.carscoops.com notes "Ineos has said before that in order for the Grenadier to prove profitable, they’ll have to achieve between 25,000 and 35,000 units sold on an annual basis". Most businesses assume 5 year business plans so this would imply at least 125,000 units to achieve profitability in the first 5 years.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to find!

-Dan

86scotty

Cynic
Does the gear shifter look totally out of place in that interior or is it just me? I think they should have that stayed with the aviation theme- a simple stick with a switch on it.

Look at some modern BMW interiors and you'll see the same shifter. Probably too complex to easily make their own.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
So with the Americas, Australia and Africa off the list you are thinking Russia, China, Asia, India.... Europe ??

Oh there's all of that and a whole lot more. I'd love to do a lap around the Meditteraean, I'd love to drive North->South right down the middle of Africa (if it's possible one day), I've STILL never been to New Zealand, I missed the entire east coast of South America, and of course there is a life time of island hopping to be done... though for that I may just buy a crappy motorbike on each island so I don't have to deal with shipping.

For you Dan, you have enough history to get a factory sponsorship. INEOS, Grenadier NEEDS you. Why look at the after market if you can influence how it is built.

Everyone seems to think it must be easy to get sponsorship from an OEM, but from experience, I can tell you it simply does not work like that. Sponsorship is not just magically there because I've been at this for so long. Even with an enormous effort and pitch and years of lead time I've still never had any from an OEM.

But yeah, I think the Ineos is interesting, and I'm going to watch where it goes for sure.

-Dan

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
INEOS is a massive chemical company with a CEO interested in delving into auto manufacturing but with zero experience.

Ineos Automotive Ltd. was formed in 2017 by Jim Ratcliffe in order to develop and manufacture an off-road utility vehicle, intended as a "spiritual successor" to the Land Rover Defender, under the codename Projekt Grenadier.[46] In September 2019, it was initially announced that vehicle, now officially named Ineos Grenadier, would be manufactured in two new factories in Estarreja, Portugal (chassis and body) and Bridgend, South Wales (final assembly), with powertrains supplied by BMW. The launch was planned for 2022.[47][48] In December 2020 Ineos announced the final assembly would take place in Hambach, France, instead of South Wales.

I don't see much stability nor any need for the venture to be successful as a stand alone manufacturer. Me, I'd wait 10 years. I'd want to see a huge used parts source in case Sir Ratcliffe pulls the plug. There is zero history of manufacturing anything. They are a chemical refinery. Even Standard Oil left Henry Ford alone.

For you Dan, you have enough history to get a factory sponsorship. INEOS, Grenadier NEEDS you. Why look at the after market if you can influence how it is built.
He needs some of that eye candy for his YouTube channel…?

alanymarce

Not easy from anything established like Jeep or Ford but from the new guy with zero reputation........ don't give up. No one has approached him yet.
One comment on sponsorship - if one does get into a sponsorship deal one then has obligations to the sponsor. Even if the deal respects honest opinion on the product (which one would hope) there's an expectation of time required to provide reports, photos, videos, etc. A deal with Ineos would, I believe, result in a significant commitment of time, and the potential for a perception of loss of objectivity.

ChasingOurTrunks

Just want to chime in and say this is the correct range that has been talked about for a few years for global production, so it's not only from one source - i've seen the same estimate from Ineos directly a few times and it was repeated at the in-person event in Calgary to see the Grenadier in the flesh.

@Dan Grec for aftermarket stuff, I think you'll be impressed with the number of partners Ineos has reportedly worked with. I understand ARB, Ironman4x4, and a few others in Australia have already been enlisted for support and provided with the CAD files for making accessories (https://www.goauto.com.au/news/ineo...ns-developed-down-under/2021-09-27/85989.html).

I've also read elsewhere that Alucab is working on a roof conversion (like the Icarus Defender or the Troopy conversions). As far as things like Roof Racks, I've seen both Rhino Racks and Front Runner racks in various media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles