problems with Rhino batwing awning and extension zippers

SBSYNCRO

Has anyone successfully repaired zippers on their Rhino awning and extensions? I have had two sliders come off and two "retainer box" portions break. As a result I can only put two panels up (and only in two spots, luckily together). One thing I've noticed is that, even thought they are supposed to zip together, the zippers on the awning itself and the exensions are actually different (they are both #10, but they are different manufacturers).

I'm planning to get a couple of "repair kits" off Amazon, but I'm hoping to find someone that has gone through this and can tell me which kit will actually work. In the past I've had good luck with these sliders, and figure I'll give them another try. But the retainer box is a bit of a mystery to me.

1607043396426.png

roving1

Worth dropping Rhino Rack a note or a phone call. I had an awning replaced free of charge for some issues.

I could never swallow the absurd price for the panels. I was going to sew zippers onto a tarp or plastic but never got around to it.

SBSYNCRO

Unfortunately Rhino's position is "its over a year old and out of warranty and not repairable". I guess they just expect me to replace the entire $700 awning because of two bad zippers.

For what its worth, I tried removing the broken "retainer box" but it appears to be fused to the zipper itself. It will require major surgery (if it is even possible). I suspect that it will require wholesale replacement of the entire zipper.

I have two extensions and really want to be able to use them. They are very handy in the desert when the wind comes up and you need a place to get out of the *#$(*&% wind!

BTW, you will also notice in the image below that the extensions that Rhino sells, don't actually match up to the awning - the insertion pin on the extension is too long, and as a result you skip a tooth, which makes it very hard to start the zipper (and puts pressure on the retaining box, which is probably why they broke

2020-12-01_21-11-38.jpeg

alia176

Explorer
I have two of the BW straight (not tapered) walls but haven't run into this issue yet. I've used the zipper fixer thing linked in the 1st post but only smaller articles.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

roving1

That sucks. I guess they are far enough into getting too many returns their attitude has changed. For the price of those things itss awful that they were not better in the first place and awful they are not standing by it now.

I would try going to an auto upholstery place or a Mexican run tapiceria since you are in California. They will probably be able to sew in a new zipper for a reasonable price or know a nice abuela who will.

SBSYNCRO

That sucks. I guess they are far enough into getting too many returns their attitude has changed. For the price of those things itss awful that they were not better in the first place and awful they are not standing by it now.

I would try going to an auto upholstery place or a Mexican run tapiceria since you are in California. They will probably be able to sew in a new zipper for a reasonable price or know a nice abuela who will.

yea thats kinda the direction I'm headed. Unfortunately the only shop here in town that does large scale zipper repair (a luggage repair place) seems to have gone under... When the rainy season hits (if it does) I may have to just disassemble the awning and send it somewhere.

alia176

Explorer
Just as a FYI, I've using my regular sewing machine to sew heavy duty straps and such using a heavier gauge needs. So, if worse comes to worse and you have NOTHING to do one day, rip the old stitching off and sew on a new zipper half. Maybe while watching football or something :)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
FWIW.....The pulls and coils used by the vast majority of current tent companies are Chinese knock-offs of the original YKK Brand "Vislon" pull/coil.

It's not even worth going into the grocery list sub-par materials that go into the Chinese coil in your picture, resulting in the broken retainer box. Anyway, you can order a replacement pull/coil from any number of on-line vendors and have it sewn in locally. If you go that route, you maybe surprised by the cost of the YKK but, it'll be worth it for the long haul (US Military tents use the brass YKK pulls/coils for obvious reasons).

I used to do these repairs @adventuretoolcompany but our custom queue is too long now and we only use the US Brand YKK's, which caused some people a little surprised by their cost considering what the original Chinese product cost.

Good luck! LMK if you have any questions.

SBSYNCRO

FWIW.....The pulls and coils used by the vast majority of current tent companies are Chinese knock-offs of the original YKK Brand "Vislon" pull/coil.

It's not even worth going into the grocery list sub-par materials that go into the Chinese coil in your picture, resulting in the broken retainer box. Anyway, you can order a replacement pull/coil from any number of on-line vendors and have it sewn in locally. If you go that route, you maybe surprised by the cost of the YKK but, it'll be worth it for the long haul (US Military tents use the brass YKK pulls/coils for obvious reasons).

I used to do these repairs @adventuretoolcompany but our custom queue is too long now and we only use the US Brand YKK's, which caused some people a little surprised by their cost considering what the original Chinese product cost.

Good luck! LMK if you have any questions.

100% agree, and I find it surprising that such craptastic zippers are used on Rhino's batwing awning and extensions. If I do go the route of ripping and replacing these zippers, I will most likely use the best quality zippers I can lay my hands on. The challenge is finding a shop. Not sure I want to tackle it with my little "hobbyist" brother sewing machine...

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Cheers. Locally, anyone that sews boat covers, covers, awnings or tents can knock those out for you. Probably even some hobbyists on Craigslist. Good luck.

alia176

Explorer
100% agree, and I find it surprising that such craptastic zippers are used on Rhino's batwing awning and extensions. If I do go the route of ripping and replacing these zippers, I will most likely use the best quality zippers I can lay my hands on. The challenge is finding a shop. Not sure I want to tackle it with my little "hobbyist" brother sewing machine...

I have a Brother hobbyist sewing machine and it'd have ZERO problem with the thinner material on BW awning walls. I'm very impressed at what these home use machines can do.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I second BritKLR in suggesting a boat awning shop. They're set up for heavy duty materials and should have zippers that will not only stay together but stand up to prolonged UV exposure. Better to pay a little extra and have it done right the first go around.

dstock

Explorer
Anyone know if Rhino has addressed this issue on the current tapered walls? After our most recent trip, I'd really like a wall or 2 to block the wind.

86scotty

Cynic
I bought one wall but the cost is absolutely asinine. I waited on a sale, don't remember where.

I've got to say that having had a couple of problems with my Rhino Rack Batwing I will not be buying another from them. I've had 3 I think now and each had a different fitment/quality problem. Just not worth it for the price now that several high quality 270 style awnings are out there.

SBSYNCRO

I bought one wall but the cost is absolutely asinine. I waited on a sale, don't remember where.

I've got to say that having had a couple of problems with my Rhino Rack Batwing I will not be buying another from them. I've had 3 I think now and each had a different fitment/quality problem. Just not worth it for the price now that several high quality 270 style awnings are out there.

Thats disappointing to hear. I think many of us have considered Rhino's products to be one of the higher quality options out there, but as often happens, popularity can lead to a rush to supply the demand, which then leads to quality problems. Perhaps that is the case here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94